I know Houston Texans feel like crap. New Orleans just won and going to their first NFC CHAMPIONSHIP! Who would thought that?! Now, Reggie Bush and Billy Miller(former Texans) may get a Super Bowl ring.

Yeah, it's not the Texans' finest hour, but respect to the Saints for making it to the NFC Championship for the first time.

How many cities other than Houston have never won a playoff game and/or made it to the conference championship?

Texans promote Sherman to offensive coordinator

Kyle Shanahan moves from receivers coach to quarterbacks coach

Great move Kubiak!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4477729.html

Yeah, I'm glad we were able to keep Sherman. I was a little nervous he was going to get another head coaching job and leave us.

So is he just going to be a Kubiaks puppet? What is the role of an offensive coordinator who's under Kubiak? Everyone talks about "Kubiaks" offense. Does the O-Coordinator just call plays or what? Anyone know?

Yes, it's Kubiak's Offense. The Offense Coordinator role is to call plays down the field into Kubiak's headphones, and if Kubiak doesn't like the play calling he can always over rule it cause he's the head coach. But, Sherman was calling some of his Green Bay plays last season on the slideline. So, I figure it may remain the same. Sherman and Kubiak going to mix it up with Green Bay's and Broncos play calling.

Edited by houstonsemipro

Kubiak on Monday finally will have an opportunity to interview Frank Bush, the former assistant head coach/linebackers of the Arizona Cardinals, who worked with Kubiak in Denver.

Also expected to hire Jethro Franklin as a defensive line coach. Franklin formerly was defensive line coach at Tampa Bay

Kubiak also plans to interview Larry Kirksey, the assistant head coach/running backs at Middle Tennessee, on Monday. Kirksey is a possible replacement for Kyle Shanahan, who moved from coaching the wide receivers to the quarterbacks.

Kirksey was a wide receivers coach in the NFL for nine seasons.

Edited by houstonsemipro

Are you serious? I thought he injured his knee BEFORE training camp 2006, and had that surgery that had him out the whole season. I know he wants to return, but that's an entire season, yo. He's part of the reason why we didn't draft Bush (supposedly).

Nah, big man Ron Dayne fell right on Spencer's leg in Week 2 versus Indy. Dayne was trying to find the whole, but he was too slow back then. He tripped and fell on Spencer.

Edited by Trae

The Texans are getting more black coaches on their staff now. They just hired two of them already, and Kubiak still in talks with Frank Bush(black) from Cardinals to be the assistant head coach/defensive.

Kubiak and Rick Smith is really doing a good job so far in the staff.

Oh so i missed this goal for the offseason, hire more "black" coaches! Is that the measure of a good staff to you? You make yourself seem less credible everytime you post in this thread. Can you explain this to me

Well, if you look around the NFL there not enough black coaches. Furthermore, when the last time Texas in general had almost all black coaching staff? Never. Cowboys? Never. Texans? Never, until now. Almost half of the staff now is black coaches. Could this be the works of the new GM, Rick Smith? Hell, they may decide on a black quarterback this offseason, or in the draft?

Question: When was the last time you seen a black player on the Astros roster, or staff? Never! And people complain about that. They even boycott the Astros right in front MMP.

Edited by houstonsemipro

Well, if you look around the NFL there not enough black coaches. Furthermore, when the last time Texas in general had almost all black coaching staff? Never. Cowboys? Never. Texans? Never, until now. Almost half of the staff now is black coaches. Could this be the works of the new GM, Rick Smith? Hell, they may decide on a black quarterback this offseason, or in the draft?

Question: When was the last time you seen a black player on the Astros roster, or staff? Never! And people complain about that. They even boycott the Astros right in front MMP.

Does it matter? I thought Dungy and Lovie of the Bears and Colts broke that barrier already. Whatever race our coaches or players are, if we end up with a worse record than last season, I'll be equally pissed...

why are you so fixated on race is the real question?

to answer your question about the astros, off the top of my head, Preston Wilson last year. But I 'm sure what you are implying is right they are passing over the best talent because they don't want any "black" players.

Are there a wealth of black athletes playing division 1 college baseball, Are they wasting away in the minor leagues. Or are they interested in other sports? or no sports at all? who cares.

Bottom line is I want the texans to put a winning team on the field. You are just looking like an ass pulling out the race card.

Edited by westguy76

It's no race card here, son! I'm just saying when the last time you seen any Texas team with half of the staff is black? And if you ask me, Texas is one of most prejudice states.

I see it as the exact opposite. If we hired people on our staff because they were black, I'd say that were prejudice and racist. It's not 1965 anymore, yo. We now live in a time where race doesn't and shouldn't matter in football. I thought Dungy and Smith proved that.

There's other American sports where officials there are hoping to tap into the minority audience more because of a seemingly lack of minority athletes and interest (NASCAR, NHL, etc.). The NFL doesn't have that issue.

Some parts of Texas may harbor prejudice, but Houston, Texas has been and always will be diverse and tolerant. The 21st Century has seen Houston rise from a small town to a great city. In fact, the other day, almost 2,000 immigrants became citizens right here in the Bayou City ... from over 100 countries. It is like that every year. So, please, ask Hakeem? Ask Clyde the Glide? Ask Earl Campbell? Something ain't right with your post.

y'all don't see it, cause half of y'all is blinded by it. It's prejudice all around us, but it's just invisible to the eye. Yes, it's the 21st Century, but racism is still here, just in a different way.

So what Houston is diverse. Look at L.A. for instance. They're more diverse then Houston and all I hear is racism about that city. So, diverse means nothing to me, just more population and more crime.

Edited by houstonsemipro

y'all don't see it, cause half of y'all is blinded by it. It's prejudice all around us, but it's just invisible to the eye. Yes, it's the 21st Century, but racism is still here, just in a different way.

So what Houston is diverse. Look at L.A. for instance. They're more diverse then Houston and all I hear is racism about that city. So, diverse means nothing to me, just more population and more crime.

Are you talking about diversity/prejudice in the NFL, or diversity/prejudice in society? What does L.A. have to do with football? They don't even have a team.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

I see it as the exact opposite. If we hired people on our staff because they were black, I'd say that were prejudice and racist. It's not 1965 anymore, yo. We now live in a time where race doesn't and shouldn't matter in football. I thought Dungy and Smith proved that.

There's other American sports where officials there are hoping to tap into the minority audience more because of a seemingly lack of minority athletes and interest (NASCAR, NHL, etc.). The NFL doesn't have that issue.

The two main sports in America, NFL and the NBA, are majority black leagues. Can you think of one dominant white NFL running back?

Edited by Trae

Merril Hodge????

The guy from Tampa Bay...not really a RB though

Jeremy Shockey, TE of the Giants, also plays a good RB from time to time.

-----------------

Speaking of race in the NFL, check this article out:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4502451.html

The NFL, as is MLS, is pursuing a stronger hispanic advertisement campaign. It seems like a race between the two leagues as to who can remain the dominant sport in Mexico and the Latin-American community. According to this, David Beckham's signing is a big reason behind it. Their goal (which I think is unrealistic) is to turn the main love of Latin America from soccer to football.

What I gotta respect from the NFL is that they're not taking any other league or sport in America for granted. They know soccer is now a sleeping giant in American sports because of it's potential, and they know football isn't an international sport like soccer, baseball, basketball, and hockey. I didn't know until after reading this that only 23 NFL players are hispanic. Remember, there's 50-75 players on a team roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, let's get back on track guys. Sorry for the off topic discussion earlier on the thread. Now, I have more news for the Texans and other teams free agents. This what I pick around and found... Atlanta Falcons is putting WR Ashley Lelie in the free agents list this year. If y'all don't know about Lelie, he's a former Bronco under Kubiak. Ring a bell??

The Colts have to free up their salary cap, so they putting RB Dominic Rhodes, DT Corey Simon, DE Dwight Freeney and LB Cato June in the free agents list.

QB Joey Harrington unlikely to remain on the Dolphins team's roster at his scheduled $3.48 million cap number. Harrington is also due a $1 million roster bonus in March, which the team is unlikely to pay.

Furthermore, Houston is not the only team looking at Jake Plummer. Other teams are; Miami, Tampa Bay and Cleveland.

Bears are taking intrested in Jeff Garica.

Plus, Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said the team is unlikely to re-sign WR Donte' Stallworth before free agency starts. <----Look Texans!

Edited by houstonsemipro

Okay, let's get back on track guys. Sorry for the off topic discussion earlier on the thread. Now, I have more news for the Texans and other teams free agents. This what I pick around and found... Atlanta Falcons is putting WR Ashley Lelie in the free agents list this year. If y'all don't know about Lelie, he's a former Bronco under Kubiak. Ring a bell??

The Colts have to free up their salary cap, so they putting RB Dominic Rhodes, DT Corey Simon, DE Dwight Freeney and LB Cato June in the free agents list.

QB Joey Harrington unlikely to remain on the Dolphins team's roster at his scheduled $3.48 million cap number. Harrington is also due a $1 million roster bonus in March, which the team is unlikely to pay.

Furthermore, Houston is not the only team looking at Jake Plummer. Other teams are; Miami, Tampa Bay and Cleveland.

Bears are taking intrested in Jeff Garica.

Plus, Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said the team is unlikely to re-sign WR Donte' Stallworth before free agency starts. <----Look Texans!

I like Stallworth, and I hope we pursue him, but MAN would Rhodes be a good pick-up!

Yes, I was stunned when I heard that San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer. I mean, that's a damn good coach. Every year the Chargers are in the postseason no matter what. They even got rid of Drew Brees, and still went to the playoffs with a 3rd year quarterback Philip Rivers.

Dallas picked too soon!

In other news, the Texans got some offers about trading David Carr. Rick Smith (GM), didn't announced who the teams were, but Oakland and Minnesota are looking at trading one of theirs, or a pick for Carr.

Remember, Oakland is putting Jerry Porter and Randy Moss on the trade block. Minnesota said they don't want (QB) Brad Johnson.

Could the Texans trade Carr for Moss, or Porter? Imagine, Moss and Andre!!!

Edited by houstonsemipro

Yes, I was stunned when I heard that San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer. I mean, that's a damn good coach. Every year the Chargers are in the postseason no matter what. They even got rid of Drew Brees, and still went to the playoffs with a 3rd year quarterback Philip Rivers.

Dallas picked too soon!

In other news, the Texans got some offers about trading David Carr. Rick Smith (GM), didn't announced who the teams were, but Oakland and Minnesota are looking at trading one of theirs, or a pick for Carr.

Remember, Oakland is putting Jerry Porter and Randy Moss on the trade block. Minnesota said they don't want (QB) Brad Johnson.

Could the Texans trade Carr for Moss, or Porter? Imagine, Moss and Andre!!!

McNair and the Texans are too image-happy. Even if Randy Moss were a free-agent, there's no way McNair would want him on our team. Carr has a better image than Moss, and McNair likes that.

Besides, like I said before, trading Carr won't get the Texans anywhere. We need a team of depth. Keep Carr, and have him and Rosenfel fight for the starting spot while you improve on DE, OL, RB, and pass coverage via fre-agency. Then pick the best athletes available in the draft. That's all they have to do.

We need a Chicago Bears-type team. They made it to the Super Bowl because they're strong all over the field. I think Carr is a WAY better QB than Grossman. I don't think the Texans are that far from producing a high-depth team, but for that, stop looking to trade the starting QB, and start looking at all the god free-agents availabe that you don't have to trade for. And there's a lot of good free-agents this year.

I agree we invested too much in Carr, I know its been 5 Years but now we have a coach in Gary Kubiack(hoped I spelled right) that can make him better. They do need consistency at the O-line and look to improve there. Ryans was outstanding and Mario is a super human, that will hopefully develop unlike Babin and Travis Johnson.