Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Let's move all large parking lots underground eventually. It's a smart use of land, even if we end up with less large trees in the park. Plus, we might be able to turn them into hurricane shelters when needed.

Let's move all large parking lots underground eventually. It's a smart use of land, even if we end up with less large trees in the park. Plus, we might be able to turn them into hurricane shelters when needed.

Might have to address flooding issues, though. Remember Allison..

Edited by mike1

I know that most of you will hate me for saying this but I just can't get to excited about a park. I mean come on! there is already a really big park in front of downtown. Besides this is a very small space. It would have been even nicer to see a mixed use project there. But since you guys are happy, I'm happy.

The problem I've had with this thing from day one is the amount of money being spent to build a park 3 blocks wide and 3 blocks long that is to become Downtown's "Jewel" park as if forgeting that Elenor Tinsley park even exists. Does anyone have the current price tag available? You're right, it's all private money, but that private money could have been spent on upgrades to Elenor Tinsley park that would make it world-class.

Once again, not dissing the park itself, just the monetary excess being thrown at it that is desperately needed elswhere.

If you've ever read any of the articles that were written before Millennium Park opened, the same criticism ran rampant. Now where are those articles?

Yes, the money could go to infant orphans in Afghanistan in need of prenatal care, but it won't. This park will be a HUGE asset to downtown's revitalization and should be welcomed.

I know that most of you will hate me for saying this but I just can't get to excited about a park. I mean come on! there is already a really big park in front of downtown. Besides this is a very small space. It would have been even nicer to see a mixed use project there. But since you guys are happy, I'm happy.

To each his own, but parks raise land values and with increased land values also comes the type of development that you would like to see. I've heard the same sentiments that we already have a park from others, which I find really funny because a common complaint in other areas of this site is exactly that Houston doesn't have enough "green space" (read that to mean "parks")! I think a good mix of parks, transportation improvements, sports, and entertainment venues like we are seeing on the eastern edge of downtown will ultimately draw developers who are willing to invest in mixed use development. Conversely, acres of parking lot space and intimidating no man's land will lead precisely to what we've gotten for the last 20 years--nothing!

Let's think about this rationally--if you were a developer, would you rather place your multimillion dollar high rise, mixed-use, investment in the middle of an endless asphalt moonscape, or would you rather bet on an up-and-coming area with amenities such as parks and entertainment venues? If you were an apartment buyer or a store owner, in which type of area would you rather locate your business or residence? The park is important because it leads to investment and development.

Edited by mike1

The problem I've had with this thing from day one is the amount of money being spent to build a park 3 blocks wide and 3 blocks long that is to become Downtown's "Jewel" park as if forgeting that Elenor Tinsley park even exists.

Agree 100%

And for all you "urbanists" in love with pedestrian activity, why discourage it by building an undgerground parking garage connected to the GRB and Hotel. We alreday despise the tunnel system.

There is plenty of parking on the lots towards St. Joe's & the Engine Room, and street parking all over the place.

Is four or five blocks too far to walk?

If you've ever read any of the articles that were written before Millennium Park opened, the same criticism ran rampant. Now where are those articles?

Yes, the money could go to infant orphans in Afghanistan in need of prenatal care, but it won't. This park will be a HUGE asset to downtown's revitalization and should be welcomed.

OK, then tell me the last time you hung out in Millennium Park? After all the publicity dies down, the only people that use Millenium Park are people who work on blocks surrounding it. It's so broken up it's more a maze than a park. Same goes for Jones plaza. Jones Plaza doesn't look like a park or a plaza, it looks like an over-designed monument, which is exactly what I am forecasting for the new park. I saw that there are a bunch of rich socailites on the board of the new park. My money says they're going to want to impress all their friends with the amount of money they raise and all the crap they can stuff in the new park.

Here's a crazy design for the new park, plant as much grass as you can fit on the land with enough trees to provide shade in parts while leaving open areas for congregating. Add a couple large pieces of outdoor art and you have a simple, elegantly designed green space for people to enjoy, not some over-designed "legacy" to a socialite's fundraising ability.

Edited by HeightsGuy

Agree 100%

And for all you "urbanists" in love with pedestrian activity, why discourage it by building an undgerground parking garage connected to the GRB and Hotel. We alreday despise the tunnel system.

There is plenty of parking on the lots towards St. Joe's & the Engine Room, and street parking all over the place.

Is four or five blocks too far to walk?

But don't you see? That's exactly the problem...everyone is so terribly concerned with preserving some urban vision that they have for downtown that they neglect the things that actual people might want to have down there. I've worked downtown for over 5 years and can personally attest that despite all of the grumblings on this site about how much the tunnel system sucks, it's certainly better than walking street-level in the middle of the 110 degree August heat or in the middle of one of Houston's monsoons. Additionally, the tunnels certainly seem more economically viable than almost anything that's on street level. Downtown would be unbearable about 70% of the year if it weren't for the ability to get from one place to another without having to go out into the heat and the elements. Instead of fighting what is an obvious preference for almost everyone who lives, works, or owns a shop or restaurant downtown, why shouldn't the city develop plans to incorporate its benefits? Why continue to kick against the goads?

Be honest, those of you who actually work and live downtown: for all of the complaining that goes on about the tunnel system, how many times do you find yourself actually using it? (I'll bet it's more than you would care to admit on this site!) It might feel good to complain about people being too lazy to walk outside, but where does it get you when you ignore what most people obviously want? It goes back to the point that no matter what you decide to build down there, it better meet people's wants and needs, or else it WILL fail...

i don't work downtown, but i spend a lot of time there in the evenings and weekends. and i've been in the tunnels once, because they are never open when i'm there.

so no, i don't find myself using them, because i can't. but i do find myself walking the streets of downtown often, and wish there was more activity.

and i don't know how different the weather is in downtown, but that 70% doesn't make sense to me. i'm sure the number of days a year that its "bearable" to walk outside in houston is similar to chicago or new york. but i guess that depends on your definition of bearable.

i don't work downtown, but i spend a lot of time there in the evenings and weekends. and i've been in the tunnels once, because they are never open when i'm there.

so no, i don't find myself using them, because i can't. but i do find myself walking the streets of downtown often, and wish there was more activity.

and i don't know how different the weather is in downtown, but that 70% doesn't make sense to me. i'm sure the number of days a year that its "bearable" to walk outside in houston is similar to chicago or new york. but i guess that depends on your definition of bearable.

Sure

I agree, I have never understood the whole heat thing. It gets just as hot in NYC on a given summer day as it does here, only difference being that it's August when that occurs, not necessarily April or October.

On the flipside, in Boston, Chicago, and other northern cities, the temp can dip below 0 degrees on occasion, and can stay below freezing for weeks on end. I don't think they have built extended tunnel systems in Boston to get them out of the cold.

I agree, I have never understood the whole heat thing. It gets just as hot in NYC on a given summer day as it does here, only difference being that it's August when that occurs, not necessarily April or October.

On the flipside, in Boston, Chicago, and other northern cities, the temp can dip below 0 degrees on occasion, and can stay below freezing for weeks on end. I don't think they have built extended tunnel systems in Boston to get them out of the cold.

They did build tunnel systems

Been Downtown for 10 years. Not only can I count on one hand the number of times I have been in the tunnels, I question your 70% figure, as well as when it has ever been 110 degrees in Houston.

I park at Market Square Garage, office on Main Street, and go to both the County Courthouse on Franklin and the US Courthouse on Rusk. I walk to all of them, sometimes walking from Franklin to Rusk for court settings. I wear a suit and tie, carry a briefcase...the whole 9 yards. I do it in the middle of the summer, and last month when it got ALL the way to 33 degrees. There are a few days a year when it is so hot AND humid that I cannot cool down...less than 10. There are many days where it is hot enough that I walk on the side of the street where the shade is. But, it has NEVER been so cold or hot that I couldn't or wouldn't do it.

There are those who drive around parking lots until a space next to the store opens up. I don't think government should plan it's infrastructure to accomodate them.

As for subways within 2-3 blocks of every downtown office...you need to look at your maps closer.

mike1, i'm not knocking the tunnel system, i think its great, and if i worked downtown in a building with access, i know i would use them. i didn't even know they existed until over a year after i moved back here...

i still think downtown should accommodate those on a leisurely Saturday stroll as well. if i'm going to a show or game, i'm not going to go into the tunnels to find a place to eat or grab a drink, that's just not appealing. they're good for what they were built for.

what does this have to do with an underground garage again?

Edited by skwatra

Been Downtown for 10 years. Not only can I count on one hand the number of times I have been in the tunnels, I question your 70% figure, as well as when it has ever been 110 degrees in Houston.

I park at Market Square Garage, office on Main Street, and go to both the County Courthouse on Franklin and the US Courthouse on Rusk. I walk to all of them, sometimes walking from Franklin to Rusk for court settings. I wear a suit and tie, carry a briefcase...the whole 9 yards. I do it in the middle of the summer, and last month when it got ALL the way to 33 degrees. There are a few days a year when it is so hot AND humid that I cannot cool down...less than 10. There are many days where it is hot enough that I walk on the side of the street where the shade is. But, it has NEVER been so cold or hot that I couldn't or wouldn't do it.

There are those who drive around parking lots until a space next to the store opens up. I don't think government should plan it's infrastructure to accomodate them.

As for subways within 2-3 blocks of every downtown office...you need to look at your maps closer.

Good for you, but I bet if the tunnel system did connect to the courthouse (which is something that desperately need to happen) most people who work there would use it. I guess that explains the lack of newer commercial development in that area too.

You all can debate my subjective level of comfort and relative laziness in getting around downtown, but you still can't challenge my point that most people prefer to use the tunnels when given an option to do so and that tunnels can be used to help spur downtown development.

mike1, i'm not knocking the tunnel system, i think its great, and if i worked downtown in a building with access, i know i would use them. i didn't even know they existed until over a year after i moved back here...

i still think downtown should accommodate those on a leisurely Saturday stroll as well. if i'm going to a show or game, i'm not going to go into the tunnels to find a place to eat or grab a drink, that's just not appealing. they're good for what they were built for.

what does this have to do with an underground garage again?

Absolutely, I agree with you on that one: downtown can be made to accommodate a variety of different needs and uses. One person's vision for downtown need not preclude someone else's ...and yes the topic has drifted severely! I think it started when someone made the connection between underground garages and the underground tunnel system, but I'm not really sure at this point.

I guess I stepped in a world of sh** by piping up on this topic!! :wacko:

Good for you, but I bet if the tunnel system did connect to the courthouse (which is something that desperately need to happen) most people who work there would use it. I guess that explains the lack of newer commercial development in that area too.

You all can debate my subjective level of comfort and relative laziness in getting around downtown, but you still can't challenge my point that most people prefer to use the tunnels when given an option to do so and that tunnels can be used to help spur downtown development.

mike, there ARE tunnels connecting the entire County building complex, including the County Administration Building, less than 100 feet from my office. The only time I go into the County tunnels is when the metal detectors at the courthouse entrance are overcrowded. I know a shortcut through the tunnels to bypass it. However, these are REAL tunnels, similar to catacombs. :lol:

The reason I don't use the tunnels, nor my friends, is because we like getting outside. Even in the heat, it is better than staying indoors all day. That might not be a big deal for you, at least not to the point of suffering the streets. It just is for me. ;)

mike, there ARE tunnels connecting the entire County building complex, including the County Administration Building, less than 100 feet from my office. The only time I go into the County tunnels is when the metal detectors at the courthouse entrance are overcrowded. I know a shortcut through the tunnels to bypass it. However, these are REAL tunnels, similar to catacombs. :lol:

The reason I don't use the tunnels, nor my friends, is because we like getting outside. Even in the heat, it is better than staying indoors all day. That might not be a big deal for you, at least not to the point of suffering the streets. It just is for me. ;)

I do, in fact, admit to doing both. I'll normally walk on street level at lunch and at quittin' time, but I'll use the tunnels for appointments and when I'm in a rush. Kind of like using the expressway versus taking the scenic route. I was in the courthouse tunnel system one time, as part of a jury pool: "Catacombs" is an apt description!

Unfortunately, I just recently moved from downtown out to the Westchase area. Trying to navigate Westheimer at lunchtime makes even the tunnels feel like a leisurely weekend stroll around the block!

Exhibit #1:

Site activity plan for the new park

An 11 acre park with 10 distinct areas, one of which is a 2 acre pond. The only thing this park is missing is a ferris wheel. Tilman Fertitta would be proud. Don't people know by now that trying to be all things to all people usually ends up being a mess?

Does look like they're trying to do a little too much given the size of the area...and, yes, the putting green is a little over the top. Hopefully, they'll scale back a little before they actually start moving dirt. Other than that, it looks like it would be a nice place to take children, at least.

I kind of don't understand the general negativity from people on the park. I read through that document and I think that it sounds like a pretty good idea of what all a park that is a centerpiece would encompass. I agree there will be arguments about who gets contracts for such and such portion and the bid for certain things, the tenants will probably suck for a few of the ideas, some will get left out in the end, but overall its got to be something that will bring people into the park than just people that live within a few miles. Grass and some benches is probably the main idea of a park, but what does that do to draw people in? yes, the ideas do sound Kemah-ish, but what is so wrong with that? Its meant to be something pretty touristy/ accessible to everyone.

When is the last time everyone here went to Tinsley park just to hang out and enjoy the green space on a saturday afternoon? i love that park too, but very different priorities are in place for each one. I for one look at the template and think its a good set of ideas. I know making it complicated will definitely delay things, but I wouldn't mind having a park like that to enjoy, especially this time of year when it is so nice outside. Only thing that I saw a little lacking on was athletic type things. Tennis courts would be a great addition, even its just a few. I saw they addressed basketball and volleyball, but there aren't that many tennis courts around dt that I know of.

When is the last time everyone here went to Tinsley park just to hang out and enjoy the green space on a saturday afternoon?

For me, last weekend with about 1000 others.....

I don't have a general negativity toward this park, I have specific issues with it. First of all is the liberal use of the work "park" here. IMO, the plans for this space have more in common with a Chuckie Cheese than a park. My specific beef with this park is that when it's all said and done, there will be less "green" space on that parcel of land than there is now even when you include the 2 blocks of parking lots.

I don't have a general negativity toward this park, I have specific issues with it. First of all is the liberal use of the work "park" here. IMO, the plans for this space have more in common with a Chuckie Cheese than a park. My specific beef with this park is that when it's all said and done, there will be less "green" space on that parcel of land than there is now even when you include the 2 blocks of parking lots.

Would you be satisfied if we stopped calling it a park, and started calling it something like, "public recreation space?"

As I understand it, this isn't meant to just be a passive green space, but a place for activity and for public recreation. Hence the multiple uses throughout the park, errrr, public recreation space.

No matter what you call it, I think it will become a great gathering spot in Houston, and it will be a much-welcomed amenity in downtown.

So as to get off my soapbox and show you what we are potentially missing out on, here is an example of what another city decided to do when they had the chance to build a new downtown park. Seattle in the process of building a brand-new 8.5 acre downtown park along the waterfront. Notice the lack of restaurants and vendor booths in the plan, I know, shocking.....:

Seattle's Olympic Sculpture Park

I? yes, the ideas do sound Kemah-ish, but what is so wrong with that?

Poor Tillman....

....in his defense I will say that I know people who will drive over an hour and a half to get to Kemah but won't spend less than half the time and distance going downtown. He must be doing something right over there in Kemah...that place is packed almost 24-7! Can we say the same about downtown?