Your Idea Of What Would Be The Ideal Nickname For Our City's New MLS Franchise

Metropolitantexan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a way these suggestions can be communicated to AEG (the owner)?

Also, while we're picking a name, anyone have any preferences as to team colors, logos, etc.?

Link to current MLS team logos

I think the city council passed an ordinance that each Major League team, has to have wear the color "Red" of some sort in their uniform. :D

OK! Well fortunately I have a bit of experience in these community oriented events, for I was extremely instrumental in getting out the vote for the "Texans" nickname contest within the downtown region. Unfortunately, my submission did not win of course......."HOUSTON STEALTH".......for I chose a space theme.

No offense, but I'm glad your suggestion didn't win. I think those one-word names blow bigtime, kind of like the cute acronyms for our districts. Anyone remember when the Chicago Fire came into being? Me neither, but I think it was '76 or so and WFL but ah could be wrong. They might've been the first or, actually, it might have been Billie Jean King and the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team. To me, no matter how hard someone wishes a team were one unit, they are individuals, and deserve a stand-alone icon they can get behind, but that could just be due to my prior conditioning.

BUT NEVERTHELESS, I'm prepared to head forward into this next venture with equal momentum......

1. HOUSTON METEORITES.

2. HOUSTON ECLIPSE.

3. HOUSTON METEORS.

4. HOUSTON GALACTINS.

5. HOUSTON MOONRAKERS.

Editor, we really need a snore smilie. Again, I'm not meaning to pick on you, Metro, just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA as 95% of the fans will be latins. Let them pick it, and the team colors, even if they're gaudy.

I have an 11 year old niece that plays soccer in Fairfield. She is such a soccer fanatic. She was so excited that we were going to have a pro team. I asked her what she thought the name should be. She paused for a few seconds and said, "What about just Houstonians?" Her father laughed and smirked at her but I have to admit, it did make me pause. At least there would be no doubt where they were from.

B)

soc

I LOVE IT!!! International Football Club of Houston!!

Remember the Super Bowl 2004 Host Comittee logo? ...

2534713_200X150.jpg

Imagine the same colors (blue and gold) the football replaced with a soccer ball, take away the date, and replace the "Host to Super Bowl XXXVIII" with "International Football Club Of", and keep the Houston text AND the skyline on top. It'd be the classiest logo in all MLS!!

My suggestion...jersey colors Dark Blue with gold Addias stripes and Houston with that logo lettering on the chest...

just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA .

I don't object to the space theme names but I'm not 100% there with them either. The glory days of the space program took place decades ago, probably before most of the players and fan base were born, and I doubt the space theme is particularly relevant to them. It just doesn't seem a big part of Houston's identity now. That being said, a space theme would "match" the Rockets, Astros, Comets, etc.

I like it, but it would beg the question, "So what's 'International' about it?"

From the Wikipedia MLS article, on team name changes:

The team itself is international with players from Mexico, Canada, El Salvador and Venezuela. Besides LA, we are the closest team to Mexico and the team will want to capitalize on that. Houston is an international city. It just works.

Also, to all the "cute" names thrown around: a portion of the fan base for any soccer club either speaks English as a second language or no English at all. Many cutsie names don't translate well, which is yet another reason to have a basic name like "IFC Houston".

No offense, but I'm glad your suggestion didn't win. I think those one-word names blow bigtime, kind of like the cute acronyms for our districts. Anyone remember when the Chicago Fire came into being? Me neither, but I think it was '76 or so and WFL but ah could be wrong. They might've been the first or, actually, it might have been Billie Jean King and the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team. To me, no matter how hard someone wishes a team were one unit, they are individuals, and deserve a stand-alone icon they can get behind, but that could just be due to my prior conditioning.

Editor, we really need a snore smilie. Again, I'm not meaning to pick on you, Metro, just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA as 95% of the fans will be latins. Let them pick it, and the team colors, even if they're gaudy.

Greetings Danax...

My oh my great pal, no offense taken. I opened this forum to any and all opinions and certainly yours counts. I am an extremely mature individual, and I can certainly handle any constructive critizism. Critizism that is practical that is........

Don't we live in SPACE CITY? For as long as I have called Houston home for over 26-plus years, this city has been trying it's best to come forth with an identity/image that is indicative upon our region, economy, ethnicity of it's multitudes of diverse citizenry, heat, humidity, and the list just goes on and on. But when all is said and done.......SPACE as well as WESTERN themes always seem to reign supreme......Rockets, Comets, Astros......get the picture.......

Anyone could easily present the argument that the name "EARTHQUAKES" really had nothing to do with San Jose's former team from a personal standpoint. Nevertheless, they were presented with the name EARTHQUAKES which in my opinion would be indicative upon all of the earthquakes that we all know that region within California is famous for.

As an extremely patriotic as well as proud American, I would only leave decisions and choices which in some capacity would affect me personally to the "Latins" only if I was visiting a Latin country, or if the "Latins" were the sources that initiated the situation in the first place. For as an American, I am accustomed to thinking America first......and everything else is respectfully secondary........

Let us not forget Danax, that this team has just left the state of California, from a city with a Spanish name

"San Jose" simply because the economics/finances were very obviously in big time shambles. And I am certain there were many "Latins" in attendance at those games....right!

FORGET GAUDINESS! I initiated this particular topic in hopes that we would be able to present some great ideas between ourselves and come forth with some ideas that we can all be proud of.........

SURELY WE CAN BECOME SUCCESSFUL WITH THIS ENDEAVOR.......only if we care....right.

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

how about space and Latin-

Houston Columbians

ok that was just wrong.

the space race may be over, and the glory days long gone, but there's a new project starting which will bring excitement back to the general public. if this comes to fruition, we'll be heading to the moon and Mars in the next decade, and Houston will be Mission Control.

Been there. Done that. Sorry you weren't around to see it.

I think it is out on DVD.

thanks, i have the From the Earth to the Moon box set.

going to the moon is not the mission, going to Mars is. its just a necessary stopping point. hopefully you'll still be around to see it when we do it.

how about space and Latin-

Houston Columbians

ok that was just wrong.

the space race may be over, and the glory days long gone, but there's a new project starting which will bring excitement back to the general public. if this comes to fruition, we'll be heading to the moon and Mars in the next decade, and Houston will be Mission Control.

Greetings all....

By George I think we've GOT IT! Big Thanks! are in order to SKWATRA(above) for the source of inspiration.......

SKWATRA is correct in stating that Houston will again emerge upon the brink of worldwide adoration, envy, excitement, you name it because of future space exploration, as well as advances in space technology etc..etc...

Well think everyone, just who are what space entity is going to be constantly within the worldwide spotlight regarding the overall space exploration?...........do you give up? well now, the answer is MISSION CONTROL(MC) .

OK EVERYONE, LET'S PUT ON OUR ROSE COLORED SPECTACLES FOR JUST A MOMENT..........

"HOUSTON MC'S MISSION CONTROL" ..........this name has it all. This name certainly evokes our city's heritage regarding space, and yet has a bit of momentum attached to it.......something that incorporates the youth and spirit that is soccer This name also incorporates a certain hip hop flair that would certainly fly high with our city's big, magnificent, and popular rap and hip hop culture. I for one would think that even the most ultra conservative citizen/fan would come to appreciate this particular name.....for it tends to stand apart from the others and demands respect.

Well, I have now completed my due diligence, I have certainly found what I have been searching for, and I will put forth this particular name "HOUSTON MC'S MISSION CONTROL" as my sole name of choice for the up coming name-that-team contest.........OH BOY, I'M LOVING THIS......GO MC'S!

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

though i'm glad to be a source of inspiration, Houston MC's Mission Control is a bit much for me, and I'm a NASA dork. our other space-related names i like, but they don't go that far. maybe just MC Houston? and technically, its MCC-Houston (Mission Control Center).

so far from what i've seen, i like:

Houston Surge (relevant to the city, cool name IMO)

Houston Jalape

though i'm glad to be a source of inspiration, Houston MC's Mission Control is a bit much for me, and I'm a NASA dork. our other space-related names i like, but they don't go that far. maybe just MC Houston? and technically, its MCC-Houston (Mission Control Center).

so far from what i've seen, i like:

Houston Surge (relevant to the city, cool name IMO)

Houston Jalape

and that is the first thing i thought of (actually it was the Knicks and less known full name - Knickerbockers). if that were the case, i would prefer simply MC Houston.

but my vote is with the Coronas, the more i hear it, the more i like it. it can be spun so many ways to please the space theme, hispanics, and beer lovers everywhere.

and that is the first thing i thought of (actually it was the Knicks and less known full name - Knickerbockers). if that were the case, i would prefer simply MC Houston.

but my vote is with the Coronas, the more i hear it, the more i like it. it can be spun so many ways to please the space theme, hispanics, and beer lovers everywhere.

......if this were Mexico City, the name "CORONAS" just may work. For I'm most certain that it could envoke a bit of national pride for the very citizens that stir the hops, add the yellow coloring, and produce this beer product.......but please know, that Mexico City has a few ultra conservatives as well......

NOW, please allow me the honor of welcoming you to the CITY OF HOUSTON, TEXAS. For we are a city that is fast becoming the new beacon of the south. Our city is so diverse, that it is almost safe to say that the beacon that glows atop Williams Tower, actually shines it's light on all of the world by way of Houston...........

.........we are building up and growing like crazy.......and we are fast becoming extremely sosphisticated along the way......

The name "Coronas" would surely do well in Cozumel, Mexico City, etc....but it could never work here in the largest city within the LONE STAR STATE. I can only imagine the laughter that this insult would provoke among the citizens of SAN JOSE, for whom just lost their beloved team to the City of Houston.........we would certainly become a national laughingstock..........just like the TEXANS.......a team that I have been a season ticket holder with since day one, and a team that I love dearly!

NO SKWATRA, we are going to do this right this time. We are going to show the soccer world just what Houston has now become..........a Texas sized city where anything and everything is possible. A city with style, taste, infused with a bit of dignity...........the beacon is starting to glow.......

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Archived