Cool places in Houston for a wedding?

cspwal

I've had the pleasure of dealing with trying (and failing) to find a place for 9 months now, so now I want some help to hopefully see what I'm forgetting.  What are some unique places in Houston to do a wedding?  We've already looked at a few obvious places (Discovery green, Centennial gardens, Union Station) but there's got to be somewhere that I'm just blanking on.  

I'm hoping for somewhere that's inner loop and architecturally interesting.  Besides that, anyone know of anything?

Thanks

• Like 1

We got married at the Majestic Metro downtown. It is certainly unique, but it may not pass the test unless you both happen to be film buffs or like old theaters (also, the interior is not all original as it's been renovated to make it more suitable for hosting events). 

The Rothko Chapel used to allow weddings, but they had a strict limit on the number of attendees which would be a dealbreaker for many people (it was for us), even if they weren't currently closed until next year due to the ongoing renovations. 

There have been a few threads about this topic in the past on the Houston subreddit - it would probably be worth your time to do a search over there. 

• Like 2

These two are pretty unique (for Houston):

The Astorian has a great view on the roof and the inside is soooo beautiful. When we wanted to have ours there, they wouldn't let people on the roof yet because it wasn't ready, but I hear now they do. Also, they may work with your favorite ethnic place for food, depends on them.

The Asia Society Texas Center is beautiful inside, and the upstairs with the water mist...thingy is very pretty. They do weddings for sure, I see them every so often.

If I think of anything, I'll add to the thread. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, cspwal said:

I've had the pleasure of dealing with trying (and failing) to find a place for 9 months now, so now I want some help to hopefully see what I'm forgetting.  What are some unique places in Houston to do a wedding?  We've already looked at a few obvious places (Discovery green, Centennial gardens, Union Station) but there's got to be somewhere that I'm just blanking on.  

I'm hoping for somewhere that's inner loop and architecturally interesting.  Besides that, anyone know of anything?

Thanks

We went to a reception at The Gallery on Beverly last month(wife's nephew). The ceremony was at a Catholic church, with reception after. Very enjoyable, lots of space for people to gather, talk, etc. Food was decent. Pricing doesn't look horrible. https://www.thegallery-houston.com/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We married in the Carter Room at JW Marriott Downtown. Reception Downstairs in one of the ballrooms. Carter room is original to the building and really a beautiful/unique space.

It honestly depends on your budget and guest size. We looked at several hotels and other spaces (like the Astorian). They were just super expensive, so we stuck to Hotels. Lots of out of town guests meant great discounts on the rooms. Service packages saved us a whole lot of money to spend on our honeymoon. Plus the Hotels really cared about getting your business and helping you out. To me the Service stood out in all the Hotels we toured. Plus they gave us a preferred vendor list which turned out to be less expensive than the quotes we were getting by ourselves.

Hotel ZaZa was a close second choice.

Even if you're not keen on the idea of a hotel, at least tour. You'll get to see some hidden gems Downtown that you wouldn't normally.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...