Retail Development At 3215 White Oak Dr.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created June 15, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon.

The lot at 3215 White Oak Drive with Aqua car wash and offices will be demolished. NewQuest is marketing a new retail center for 3215 White Oak Dr.

From Loopnet (archived link😞

Retail Lot with existing Car Wash tenant & 4 -Plex multi-family investment. Perfect for retail center or office building.
Building Size     10,200 SF

lGpkLEy.jpg

This was originally posted  June 15, 2017 in the previous thread for 3215 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Proposed retail center going in at 3215 White Oak Dr.

3215 White Oak is a unique restaurant/retail pad opportunity in the heart of the historic Houston Heights neighborhood, surrounded by a vibrant mix of critically-acclaimed restaurants and bars, historic Victorian era homes, and eclectic retailers.

Situated where White Oak meets the Heights Hike and Bike Trail, this 0.3 acre pad redevelopment serves as an exciting opportunity to connect with the lively pedestrian scene that this neighborhood is known for.

• Up to 0.3 acre restaurant or retail pad with utilities for
   lease or build-to-suit

• One of the very few lots of its size in the Heights Historic
   District zoned for new development

• Direct access to/from the Heights Hike and Bike Trail,
   a 6.8 mile stretch of well-traveled pedestrian walkways
   connecting the Heights to downtown Houston

http://www.newquest.com/pdfs/3215_White_Oak.pdf

HoIzkYl.jpg

NThZrnF.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 3215 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, June 21,  2017 in the thread for 3215 White Oak Dr.

Depending on what's opening there, maybe the parking spaces will be adequate?

This was in the previous thread for 3215 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, June 30,  2017 in the thread for 3215 White Oak Dr.

From Swamplot:

A flyer from NewQuest Properties is now hawking an imagined retail-or-restaurant building at 3215 White Oak Dr., across the street from the parking lot for Juiceland and Black Swan Yoga. The lot, which spans from the corner of Columbia St. to the western edge of the Heights hike-and-bike trail that slices diagonally across White Oak, is currently home to an Aqua Hand Car Wash (seen from Columbia St. above), as well as a few rented-out residences behind it and next to the trail.

The included renderings show the building fronting the sidewalk on White Oak, with a patio in front.

More here:
http://swamplot.com/white-oak-facing-retail-shown-washing-away-aqua-by-the-bike-trail-crossing/2017-06-21/

Originally posted by Urbannizer, September 20,  2017 in the thread for 3215 White Oak Dr.

From Bisnow Houston:

Retail developer Greatland Investments will kick off a redevelopment project in the first quarter on a high-profile site at a popular gateway to the Heights Hike & Bike Trail. The 0.3-acre tract at 3215 White Oak Drive is one of the largest sites zoned for new development in the Heights Historic District South.

Greatland Investments plans to develop 4K SF of Class-A retail with bike racks and on-street and surface parking at the hard corner of White Oak Drive and Columbia Street.  "This is a destination location within the Heights. We want to bring tenants to the neighborhood that will make 3215 White Oak the first choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks," NewQuest's Austen Baldridge said. As a sample of what is to come, the NewQuest team is negotiating with a Houston newcomer for a high-end coffee concept. The 1,200 SF lease could be finalized soon.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-79295

• The title was changed to 3215 White Oak Dr.
  • 1 year later...

the neighborhood should be able to BOO this architect out of existence.  Putting the parking lot exit/entrance AT the trail like that?  total dick move by someone who apparently never bothered to visit the spot. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crock said:

the neighborhood should be able to BOO this architect out of existence.  Putting the parking lot exit/entrance AT the trail like that?  total dick move by someone who apparently never bothered to visit the spot. 

Crossing White Oak can be tough at times because of the cars parked on the street right on the white lines of the crossing which really limit visibility as you approach - can't imagine that this will help that situation.

Around 2020, Greatland Management was planning to open at food truck park at 3215 White Oak Dr. The food truck park was named White Oak Food Park. I doubt it's happening.

There was a website with scant details but that's no longer available. However, the Facebook page for the food truck park is still up.

https://www.facebook.com/Whiteoakfoodpark

spacer.png

I'll never understand this city but I contacted the Planning Dept with an image of the site plan and the response I got was, did you try contacting the developer. Well yeah I don't mind contacting the developer directly but what the hell does the Planning Dept do? I went ahead to state that this is an accident waiting to happen. I received another reply to file a 311 report, which I did. The lady who I spoke with was really nice and told me that issues like this get sent from 311 to the Planning Dept. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'll never understand this city but I contacted the Planning Dept with an image of the site plan and the response I got was, did you try contacting the developer. Well yeah I don't mind contacting the developer directly but what the hell does the Planning Dept do? I went ahead to state that this is an accident waiting to happen. I received another reply to file a 311 report, which I did. The lady who I spoke with was really nice and told me that issues like this get sent from 311 to the Planning Dept. 

Contact the city council member's office, Bike Houston, Houston Heights Ass'n and Buffalo Bayou Partnership if you wan to start a ruckus.  Planning Dep't will approve plans if it meets code and doesn't care whether it is a good idea or a bad idea.  

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Why tf is the entrance on the trail? Who can we contact about this bs? 

You complain when developments don't connect to trails and then complain when they do as well ....

They aren't just for bikes so I think legally it's no different then connecting to a sidewalk. It looks like there is an alley easement next to the trail so they are not really the same thing. Like the old rail like was separate etc. 

Edited by iah77
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iah77 said:

You complain when developments don't connect to trails and then complain when they do as well ....

They aren't just for bikes so I think legally it's no different then connecting to a sidewalk. It looks like there is an alley easement next to the trail so they are not really the same thing. Like the old rail like was separate etc. 

Right because cars are going to have such a great view of people coming either direction. This isn't "connected to the trail." Not wanting the curb cut right on the trail doesn't mean I don't want this development. There's a lot of assumptions and twisting of what I said. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The proposed commercial redevelopment of 3215 White Oak Dr. was on the city's historic preservation agenda this month.

There is a lot of information about proposed changes to the building in the submitted documents. One of the proposed changes includes an updated proposed site plan. Some of the design plans were denied by the committee, or at least, that's the city's recommendation.

My understanding of construction and design is limited. However, the proposals are available for viewing, along with the city's comments attached. 

A description of what the developers are seeking from the submitted documents:

"Removal of existing non-contributing car wash and apartment building for new construction of a retail shell building w/ brick, stucco, steel, and glass construction."

NW5DOhB.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems to me like this is a plat for a different location, on 3423 White Oak. Courtlandt doesn't run adjacent to the Hike and Bike trail here. 

I'm still very anti- the proposed building at 3215 White Oak if it involves people having to cross the H&B Trail constantly to park

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development At 3215 White Oak Dr.