Jensen And Navigation Blvd. Roundabout

9 minutes ago, Texasota said:

That would be terrible for pedestrians. 

That is something you have to consider. A lot of pedestrian and bike traffic in the area. And again, soon to be even more once Forth is complete (and presumably even more once The Mill is underway/finished).

• Like 1

I didn't draw in pedestrian crosswalks in my little mockup, the idea was to "improve the intersection without completely throwing it out". If such an idea was under consideration, it would have some sort of additional crossings for the corner cut there.

Those corner-cut slip lanes are inherently bad for pedestrians, exactly because they add unnecessary crossings and cars have little reason to slow down (or stop) through them.

If we're trying to fix the intersection with minimal changes, then I would actually argue for filling in the slip lane. Pedestrian safety should be the primary consideration, as un-American as that may sound.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 2:35 PM, Texasota said:

Those corner-cut slip lanes are inherently bad for pedestrians, exactly because they add unnecessary crossings and cars have little reason to slow down (or stop) through them.

If we're trying to fix the intersection with minimal changes, then I would actually argue for filling in the slip lane. Pedestrian safety should be the primary consideration, as un-American as that may sound.

Enh, I think that the "slip lanes are bad" rhetoric comes from the same "transit blogs" that hate private automobiles and work everything around that theory, even skewing data they don't like to promote their opinions. One thing to note about "pedestrian safety" in their world is that bicycles are never seen as a threat to pedestrians, despite the fact that a fast-moving road bicycle with considerable mass could injure someone, yet the only people who advocate for bicycle speed limits are governments with a seeming contempt for actual citizens, like Toronto.

Besides, corner-cut slip lanes eliminate the idea that a car could not see a pedestrian waiting at the corner and cut them off in a right turn.

That argument would be a lot more convincing if people on bikes killed tens of thousands of people per year (like people in cars do). Besides, what would you set the bike speed limit at? How fast do you think people on road bikes are going? I would think maybe 18-25mph realistically which is slower than the car speed limit in most cases and definitely slower than how fast drivers are actually going.

Slip lanes allow drivers to maintain speed. Even if they see someone crossing, if they're still going 30 mph they don't have time to stop. 

Overall I think the roundabout is the correct choice for this intersection though. It's just weird and big enough to benefit from it. 

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 6

On 11/1/2020 at 5:48 AM, Texasota said:

That argument would be a lot more convincing if people on bikes killed tens of thousands of people per year (like people in cars do). Besides, what would you set the bike speed limit at? How fast do you think people on road bikes are going? I would think maybe 18-25mph realistically which is slower than the car speed limit in most cases and definitely slower than how fast drivers are actually going.

Slip lanes allow drivers to maintain speed. Even if they see someone crossing, if they're still going 30 mph they don't have time to stop. 

Overall I think the roundabout is the correct choice for this intersection though. It's just weird and big enough to benefit from it. 

your average person is probably going to average 10mph, depending on wind direction and speed. in Houston, we don't have many hills, but we do have plenty of false flats, which can impact a rider as well.

people who are riding for fitness are probably going to average around 15-18mph, depending on fitness level, of course, if they are riding in a group, that might be higher.

in the near future where people have easy access to electric assist bikes that will enable them to go 20mph with as much effort as they have going 10mph, but they are still infinitely safer than a car going 20mph.

anyway, as stated, roundabouts are safer. as a driver, you are forced to slow down, that is number 1 reason for being safer. there is no possible scenario where a driver is doing a left turn into oncoming traffic, so no chance for a head-on collision. you have to slow down, so does everyone else, which makes it safer too.

even from a fuel saving standpoint, they are better, you don't have to sit waiting for an empty intersection, and only as someone comes on the cross street does the light change and they have to stop so you can go, does the light change. it's like some guy is sitting in a room watching and changes the lights at the least effective time. anyway, yeah, you get to save fuel as well as having a faster trip.

other than the fact that a roundabout is a foreign idea, and change, I don't see why roundabouts are so vehemently opposed? I mean, Westheimer and Post Oak levels of traffic intersections will never merit a roundabout, but this intersection is perfect for it.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

in context, Iron Tiger said bicycle, so that's why I assumed when you said bike you were referencing bicycles.

anyway, neither here nor there.

the number of low cost (relative term) e-bikes, scooters, and mopeds that are starting to become available is astonishing (if you're ok with ordering online, rather than getting from a LBS). for Houston, with a fast growing network of safe bike lanes, add an electric assist bike to help keep from sweating too hard in the summer, the capacity is there for a shift.

all that's really missing is a way to keep them from being such an easy target for thieves. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Jensen And Navigation Roundabout
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

30. ORDINANCE appropriating $117,002.15 out of Water & Sewer System Consolidated Construction Fund; approving and authorizing Advance Funding Agreement between City of Houston and TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION for Roundabout Construction at the intersection of Navigation Boulevard at Jensen Drive and Runnels Street; providing funding for CIP Cost Recovery relating to construction of facilities financed by the Water & Sewer System Consolidated Construction Fund - DISTRICT H - CISNEROS

https://houstondaily.com/stories/619616637-city-of-houston-city-council-met-jan-25-26

Work has been done on the water system near the bayou on Jensen, I'm not sure if it's related to this but they are still doing work along Jensen. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Jensen And Navigation Blvd. Roundabout
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, TXK said:

Can't wait for this to be done, hopefully this works as intended and we can get some more roundabouts at some of the other annoying/unsafe intersections out there. Looking at you, Main/Studewood/Cavalcade.

I was surprised to learn recently that there are more than 900 roundabouts in the United States. 

In the 70's i remember New Jersey had three massive ones all in a row on Route 23.  They were maybe four or five lanes wide. Eventually they were replaced by full overpasses. But i always find it strange that people on the internet claim there are no roundabouts in America. I guess they never leave their mom's basements.