The Heights Real Estate

HeightsGuy

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a large gay population?

Also, cottage grow is located by TC Jester and I-10. Before it became part of the city of Houston, it was its own village. Whats left of downtown Cottage Grove is just west of TC Jester on Larkin.

Also, I-10 cut right through the southern portion of the city. It used to go all the way to Washington.

I ran across this map of various "neighborhoods" within the loop.  Being new to (what the map depicts as "Memorial"), I'm wondering if these are generally agreed upon boundaries.

No, that map sucks. It's even worse than that other one someone posted which said that Fairview and Stanford was at the "edge" of Montrose :P

I agree with jm1fd that the best way to find neighorhood boundaries is the HCAD maps.

That superneighborhood map seems to do a good job of grouping the neighborhoods, although there's not enough detail to show exactly the where boundaries are.

according to that there are only 2,200 females living downtown, with 10,140 males. maybe i won't be moving downtown...

Naah -- it has to do with the fact that there are over 9,300 "institutionalized persons" (read: jailbirds) living downtown. Harris County Jail counts as a residence for these purposes... And there are more male cons than females.

Guest danax
Naah -- it has to do with the fact that there are over 9,300 "institutionalized persons" (read: jailbirds) living downtown. Harris County Jail counts as a residence for these purposes... And there are more male cons than females.

So out of 12,300 living downtown, 9900 are in jail. That will skew all kinds of stats.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest danax

I work near I-10 and Shepherd and have noticed that the area has moved into a more advanced stage of the Houston version of the gentrification process; the old housing stock has been replaced by higher density housing, mostly townhomes, and now that that has been nearly completed, I see a lot of the original downscale commercial being replaced as well.

Also, I see that Cyclone Anaya's Restaurant is re-opening in a new location on Durham just south of I-10. Was the original restaurant any good and, who is/was Cyclone? It has a "new-look" design that I've seen around town, in fact a new building across the street has the same look. The whole area is getting a "turn of the 21st century" face to it.

I think this area is probably our most advanced example of a sequence of events thast occurs during the transformation/makeover of inner-loop neighborhoods. First residential, then commercial/retail. Just an observation and it will be interesting to see if other areas follow the same timeline.

Living in the area off of TC Jester and just north of I-10 (before the bridge across the tracks), the area is on the move. I haven't see old dilapidated homes removed at a faster rate before. My property values are skyrocketing. Alread $15K in 6 months. I think it'll top out soon though, but it is a positive investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a map to find out how the heights is layed out by neighborhoods. For example, I'm trying to see how close norhill, woodland heights, sawyer village, stude heights and ridgewood are to each other. Any info would help. Thanks!

I found couple of maps, but none show the different sections on one map. Woodland Heights and Heights has two different websites. The Heights is the original subdivision and the Woodlands Heights subdivision came after to the east of the Heights.

I love old maps, especially those of Texas and Houston. This is one of my favorite Internet sites! I can study maps for hours on end, so you can just imagine why I like this site so.

The subject has come up about the different wards of Houston. Click on

WOW what an awesome site!!! Thanks for sharing... That will keep me occupied for many hours :)

I love old maps as well... I have a few old Houston road maps from the 40's - 60's but nothing quite that old.

In response to jt71... the best way to find neigbhborhood boundaries is the maps on HCAD's website: HCAD

JT, you ought to go to the Central Library downtown in the Julia Ideson Building at 500 McKinney. There you will find the Texas Room and Archives. They have a number of large reproductions of city maps. The one you should check out is

I have a couple of old street maps, and reproductions of a couple old panorama views of downtown. I also have a copy of a downtown map from 1940. It shows not just the streets, but every building and the street level businesses in each building. There was an amazing variety of retail outlets and restaurants then. It's interesting to see how streets have changed and in some cases disappeared.

Subdude, what I find fascinating is to see what routes led in to and out of town in all directions. I would have thought they would be basically straight but not necessarily parallel to most streets, like following old trails. But many routes tended to have a number of twists and turns using various streets.

I guess they just chose the streets with the best capacity for major routes. To me is interesting to see how the downtown streets have changed. The Fourth Ward grid used to extend a few blocks into today's downtown. It seems odd that Smith used to dead end around Dallas. There are also streets in Frost Town and near the main post office that no longer exist.

That 1913 map is fantastic. I think there's a copy of it at "The Limelight" a just-a-shade above-a-dive-bar near the ballpark. However, with it here on my computer, I can stare at it and not look like I've had one too many.

Just a few observations:

What we call Shepherd is called Shepherd Dam Road. In fact, it looks like it said Shepherd Damn road, but someone crossed out the 'N'.

Without thinking, I was looking for Cullen Road to locate what would become UH - right near Scott, Holman, and Chocolate Bayou Road in the South central region - without even thinking that the Cullens were not yet as road-name worthy in 1913.

I suppose this ballpark near San Felipe, on Crosby, just south of Buffalo Bayou is the West End Park. Apparently, this was something of a golden age for the Buffs franchise. who won Texas League titles in 1909, 1912, 1913, and 1914. Only that, according to what I read, they didn't move to West End Park until 1920 or so. Is it possible that this ballpark just serve neighborhood kids from the time it opened, through the time this map was drawn and up to 1920?

That streetcar system was AWESOME!!! Imagine hopping a streetcar on Heights Blvd, and riding down Washington directly into downtown.

Interesting following Heights Blvd south, too. (1913 Houston map)

South of Washington, it turns to Irvin Avenue, which crosses Buffalo Bayou, then ends at San Felipe Road (later W. Dallas).

Coming from the south, Euclid Avenue extends north from Westheimer Rd., then sort of peters out north of Jennings (later Peden St.? W. Gray doesn't seem to exist yet).

At any rate, these streets eventually were joined into one continuous stretch from the Heights to the Montrose. From what I understand, Waugh Drive was named for a World War I hero, so it must have happened at least five years after this map was drawn.

Archived