I say bulldoze the theater. In with the new, out with the old. We talking about a Barnes & Noble here people, and condos. Just move the theater somewhere else. Matter in fact, get a Alamo Drafthouse theater in River Oaks. It's better then this theater that is there now.

WOW, semiboi, why didn't we think of that! Yer so smart!

3: 59PM 13601

It's still there, and the owner is a friend of mine! She'll enjoy seeing this picture.

Excellent! Let me know what she says! I'll be interested in that response!

A B&N is going up.

They might close up shop on Alabama, or leave both open.. who knows.

Why does this matter... So they get another tenant to occupy the theatre, okay. The Alabama isnt in danger of being paved over.

You're right, The Alabama theater isn't threatened, and there is a good possibilty it just might be returned to it's original use, or perhaps another tenant could use it. I think a petition to put that on a list of historical places should begin before any threat of that happens. By the time anyone hear's of a project starting, it's generally too late!

I say bulldoze the theater. In with the new, out with the old. We talking about a Barnes & Noble here people, and condos. Just move the theater somewhere else. Matter in fact, get a Alamo Drafthouse theater in River Oaks. It's better then this theater that is there now.

Now THAT would be cool. we need more adult oriented theaters (so to speak) in the city.

Since the petition was started on the 22nd, almost 14,000 signatures have been posted. That's an average over 2300 a day-a margin of victory in some council races. Pressure needs to be placed on ALL council members and the mayor to have the ROC designated as a Protected Landmark. It is in their power to do so but may be afraid of their large contributor donor base. As David Bush of GHPA said

Theoretically, City Council could designate the River Oaks Theater and Shopping Center without owner approval, but that would require that they go against the wishes of a major real estate developer.

I'm not adverse to holding their butts to the fire.

Write your council member, all at-large members and the Mayor.

Edited by nmainguy

From KHOU.com:

Why is that?

On a side note, does it seem like attention is shifting from the Alabama Bookstop? It seems like that site has take a back seat to the River Oaks Shopping Center.

For me at the Chronicle, it comes down to sources -- hacked-off tenants and others -- willing to tell me about Weingarten's plans at the River Oaks Shopping Center. Weingarten appears very ready to begin demolition at the northeast corner of Shepherd and West Gray; and the leasing agent has told tenants that the theater's building is next.

I suspect that the GHPA is right about Bookstop. But I haven't yet been able to prove it independently.

If any of you hear anything definite -- or, oh, can slip me a site plan -- do get in touch. The address is lisa.gray*at*chron.com.

Weingarten appears very ready to begin demolition at the northeast corner of Shepherd and West Gray; and the leasing agent has told tenants that the theater's building is next.

:o

I suspect that the GHPA is right about Bookstop. But I haven't yet been able to prove it independently.
I guess what happens to the Alabama depends on what happens to the River Oaks Shopping Center.
If any of you hear anything definite -- or, oh, can slip me a site plan -- do get in touch. The address is lisa.gray*at*chron.com.

I guess it wouldn't be so far-fetched to think that site plans have already been drawn up.

From the article:

Such issues haven't gotten much traction in Houston, where preservation laws are among the weakest in the country and residents have often watched passively as old buildings are torn down for new development.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the first time the community has used the Internet to rally around a preservation effort. If true, then that would make this issue unique, compared to other unsuccessful efforts at preservation.

The Internet has definitely fueled the response.

I've also heard a handful of other theories.

One: That Houston's attitude toward preservation has actually changed in the last decade. People have seen first-hand that the Rice Hotel and other renovated old buildings enhance the city. Even the downtown business interests are embracing preservation as an economic asset, not just a cultural one.

Two: A huge number of Houstonians have a direct, emotional connection to the River Oaks theater. In the last week, a gazillion people have told me that they remember their first dates there, or getting scared to death by the Exorcist.

Three: The theater marquee is irresistibly photogenic.

And four: The River Oaks Shopping Center, the River Oaks theater and the Alabama Bookstop are all highly functional buildings. No one is arguing that they're blights on the face of the city, that we'd all be better off if they were bulldozed. They don't need work to become assets; they already are.

The article mentioned people signing up to speak at Tuesday's (next?) City Council Meeting. Does anyone know how this works? I would like to check into being a speaker.

After reading the Chron story I am really worried the demolition actually will happen. :angry2:

Edited by GoAtomic

Since the petition was started on the 22nd, almost 14,000 signatures have been posted. That's an average over 2300 a day-a margin of victory in some council races. Pressure needs to be placed on ALL council members and the mayor to have the ROC designated as a Protected Landmark. It is in their power to do so but may be afraid of their large contributor donor base. As David Bush of GHPA said

I'm not adverse to holding their butts to the fire.

Write your council member, all at-large members and the Mayor.

Michael Berry says there is no way that city council can tell the Weingarten's what to build on that piece of property, if the people protesting want to save it soooooooooo bad, then why not pool their money together and buy it from Weingarten ?

Just to give a slight bit of hope...

a ) its not like weingarten, especially now, doesn't realize the importance of the center and the architectural significance.

b ) i believe weingarten mostly uses local architects, who also realize the above.

c ) i believe it would be possible to have a west gray street-friendly b&n that successfully blends in with the existing architectural style.

B&N has done this in the past... they certainly don't have a problem with venturing outside the typical box.

And from the article... the mention of a parking garage on the back of the property... thats actually encouraging that the new retail would be streetfront,and would not be a big box with a sea of parking.

Think village arcade.. its possible to hide parking structures and bascially have streeet friendly access opposite car-friendly parking garage access into your store.

santa_rosa_barnes_and_noble.jpg

Edited by Highway6

Just to give a slight bit of hope...

a ) its not like weingarten, especially now, doesn't realize the importance of the center and the architectural significance.

b ) i believe weingarten mostly uses local architects, who also realize the above.

c ) i believe it would be possible to have a west gray street-friendly b&n that successfully blends in with the existing architectural style.

The front facade (sp) of the theater will stay in place and the high rise will be built onto it, as far as the B&N is concerned, I don't think these same protestors are gonna let a beloved Starbucks fall in the name of progress, I think they are in a catch 22. :o

The front facade (sp) of the theater will stay in place and the high rise will be built onto it, as far as the B&N is concerned, I don't think these same protestors are gonna let a beloved Starbucks fall in the name of progress, I think they are in a catch 22. :o

The B&N is a separate issue from the theatre.

Its on the opposite side of the strreet.

The B&N is a separate issue from the theatre.

Its on the opposite side of the strreet.

I was under the impression that there was to be a crosswalk link between the 2 for the condo dwellers.

Here is the way I look at it, if you own a piece of property, and you decide that you don't like the looks of it anymore, and you have a plan for a bigger and better use, who's choice is it to decide what you get to build on YOUR piece of property ?

Edited by TJones

From today's chron:

At the northeast corner of Shepherd and West Gray, a free-standing, recently built Starbucks would remain, but the curved art-deco building that stands behind it

Again, I guess a $90.3 million QUARTERLY profit isn't enough.

Anyone else notice that they (Weingarten) just announced a $450 million offering to help raise cash for "general business purposes" yesterday? How timely.

Weingarten owns 53 shopping centers in the city of Houston. Most of them are typical crap. Why can't they build a nice multi-floor Barnes and Noble with a parking garage at one of their other centers?

That came from an archirtectural site plan with Weingarten's logo created by Hermes Architects. Apparently the chron got their hands on one. I'd kill to see it. >:)

And i'm telling you the plans the chronicle has are not up to date.

They may not be speculating.. but they are wrong.

Since when is everything the media reports.. especially the houston chronicle... correct

Edited by Highway6