12 hours ago, Russell said:

At some point will there any more additions to replace the current assisted living complex located next to all this?

Why? I live in the area and think it’s cool that student housing is next to an assisted living complex. Why would elderly residents need to be “replaced”?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Russell said:

It was a question because it looks like they have already been moving in that direction over the past 5 years and the layout of the block would indicate that may be in the future.

That’s fair, and part of the complex is already gone. I find it interesting that some decry “cookie cutter” suburbs, but are ok with “cookie cutter” density. 

https://www.studenthousingbusiness.com/peak-campus-awarded-management-of-405-bed-development-near-the-university-of-houston/

Houston, Texas — Peak Campus has been awarded management of Tower 5040, a 405-bed student housing community currently under development near the University of Houston. The project will offer studio, one-, two- and four-bedroom, fully furnished units. Shared amenities will include a resort-style swimming pool and hot tub; outdoor game and lounge areas; a fire pit; outdoor grilling stations; study lounges; a business center; and a fitness center. WGC Development is developing the community, which is set to open in fall 2020.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They're going to have to repair the damage created by putting a generator's exhaust right next to the building. Paint damage and who know what it's going to smell like in the apartments by this with constant exhaust fumes. Seems like a dumb mistake to me.

E48vJKM.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

all these mid-rises going up near UH are going to look like absolute trash in 10 years. Is all this development actually helping the area or is it hurting it because this construction is so cheap?

Just curious, why would they look like trash? Calhoun lofts was built more than 12 years ago and its very well kept. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Just curious, why would they look like trash? Calhoun lofts was built more than 12 years ago and its very well kept. 

Well, This shouldnt be compared to Calhoun Lofts. It is clear that was built with better materials.

I worry how these will age based on materials (mostly stucco) and design (pieces of the building's architecture that stick out) that will naturally deteriorate faster, and the color (dated).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Well, This shouldnt be compared to Calhoun Lofts. It is clear that was built with better materials.

I worry how these will age based on materials (mostly stucco) and design (pieces of the building's architecture that stick out) that will naturally deteriorate faster, and the color (dated).

This may be true to your eye and experience but look at from the eyes of a 17-22 yr old, they may think this is the coolest thing they have ever seen. Now getting the parents to pay for it may be another story.

• Like 2

Calhoun Lofts was built by the university and is university owned. These new apartments are off campus and privately owned. You don't make money off of student apartments by using expensive materials considering they'll be trashed in short order by people pissing off of balconies and setting fires in the halls as pranks.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Calhoun Lofts was built by the university and is university owned. These new apartments are off campus and privately owned. You don't make money off of student apartments by using expensive materials considering they'll be trashed in short order by people pissing off of balconies and setting fires in the halls as pranks.

Hallway fire prank sounds very specific... perhaps something from personal experience? 😬

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, Avossos said:

I feel like this is made with materials that are pretty standard across the city. The colors are a bit bright and unique but if you're that worried about this project you must not be too excited about the rest of the city. 

• Like 1

I'm old. I went to college before the amenity race took off. My freshman year all-male dorm had cinder block walls. Pretty sure they just used a firehose to wash the joint when Spring term was over. Sophomore dorm wasn't much better but there were coed bathrooms. Junior year I "won" a lottery and got a newer dorm (from the 70s) that had bedroom suites. Two doubles and two singles that shared a bathroom and a common room that had one couch and a table. That was considered luxury. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Student-housing-opens-near-UH-and-TSU-15429954.php

Student housing opens near UH and TSU

Photo of Nancy Sarnoff
Nancy Sarnoff July 24, 2020 Updated: July 23, 2020 9:35 p.m.
Tower 5040, a 147-unit, 405-bed student housing complex adjacent to the University of Houston’s main campus, welcomed its first residents in July.
1of2Tower 5040, a 147-unit, 405-bed student housing complex adjacent to the University of Houston’s main campus, welcomed its first residents in July.Photo: Courtesy of WGC Partners
Tower 5040, a 147-unit, 405-bed student housing complex adjacent to the University of Houston’s main campus, welcomed its first residents in July.

2of2Tower 5040, a 147-unit, 405-bed student housing complex adjacent to the University of Houston’s main campus, welcomed its first residents in July.Photo: Courtesy of WGC Partners

Tower 5040, a new student housing complex with 405 beds and high-end apartment amenities, has opened just south of the University of Houston.

The building, at 5040 Calhoun, is just north of Brays Bayou and across the street from university-owned fraternity and sorority housing. The 1.5-acre parcel previously housed the Sigma Chi fraternity house, which was torn down in 2016.

The complex is about 60 percent leased and its first residents moved in this week. The developer, WGC Partners, anticipates being 95 percent full in the fall. The eight-story property includes 147 one-, two- and four-bedroom units. Rental rates are $1,000 per bed.

Urban development: Houston developer plans high-end project in East End

The property includes a game room, business center, conference and private study rooms, along with a fitness center, dog park and swimming pool with a screen for showing movies. Select units have large balconies with fire pits and views of the UH campus and downtown Houston, the developer, said.

WGC is a partnership of Steve Spessard of Gore Creek Partners, Rocky Stevens and Mark Seger of Wellington Development Co. and Nick Gonzalez of GRC Capital. Principal Real Estate Investors is also a partner. Dallas-based Humphreys & Partners Architects, HPA Design Group and HP Landscape Architecture designed the project.

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Tower 5040: Student Housing At 5018 Calhoun Rd.
  • 1 month later...