Abandoned Light Rail Track On Holmes Rd.

cspwal

None of my colleagues who would be likely users seem willing to give up their cars. Conceptually, it's a good idea, but I am somewhat skeptical about actual usage. I also don't trust Metro to build it with enough parking at the outlying stations. If the stations are hard to access, no one will use it.

Most of the suburban park and rides in the outlying suburbs have adequate parking, so I'm not sure why you think this would be any different. In addition, it's not like people would have to give up their cars entirely or have to utilize mass transit everyday, but it certainly would be a convenient option for some days. You're telling me you wouldn't want an additional hour or two every day on the train where you can work on stuff/stream videos/listen to music while relaxing instead of fighting traffic?

Most of the suburban park and rides in the outlying suburbs have adequate parking, so I'm not sure why you think this would be any different. In addition, it's not like people would have to give up their cars entirely or have to utilize mass transit everyday, but it certainly would be a convenient option for some days. You're telling me you wouldn't want an additional hour or two every day on the train where you can work on stuff/stream videos/listen to music while relaxing instead of fighting traffic?

No brother they're going to take my car keys from my cold dead hands

• Like 3

I live 3 miles from work, so it doesn't really affect me. I was commenting on what colleagues who commute have said. which is mostly, they prefer to drive on, regardless of traffic

• Like 1

You would love that, Slick, since you are all about telling everyone else what to do.

Let me guess are you against the government making you buy health care? And in the 70's when you were a young adult were you against airports starting security after the db cooper hijacking? Your motto is probably is freedom and liberty I'm sure.

• Like 1

I think this thread has run its course.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you!

Regarding the number of cars that can be hooked together and run up the red line, the max is two. It's not just block size where stations are located that needs to be considered. Any block with a stoplight. If it had to stop at one intersection, it can't hang it's big butt out into the previous intersection.

Even if there is just one example that proves it to be impossible, you can't do it.

The block in front of the bus station is just long enough for two trains. It's not the only example, I'm sure, but it's really all that's needed to only ever allow for 2 trains.

I didn't think of that.  A longer train might make it to the Med Center, but only if the intersections into NRG could be temporarily closed if the long train shows up.  Realistically, they would most likely only run 2 car trains - and it would be an extension similar to Northline, where the train makes all the stops because there aren't passing loops on the Redline, but some trains only go from Burnett to Fannin South, while others go Nortline to Sugarland.

• Like 1

yeah they hit 66mph, which is part of why I've been suggesting for years that some of the future commuter routes be "LRT-Commuter hybrid" routes, utilizing the same LRT vehicles so they can switch over/run directly onto our local LRT tracks without any stops/transfers.. functioning basically how they now have this 90A commuter line planned (the trains are supposed to merge onto the Red line up to Wheeler).

It would also be great if METRO could create siding bypasses around several stations to create the means by which to create a local and an express route for the Red Line that would only stop at every third or so station. You wouldn't need an entire new track, just a few hundred yards of new track around some stations--or create new off-line stations at certain locations to achieve the same. Burnett TC is already built for such a possibility. Sure would be great to travel from Northline TC to Reliant in half or a third of the time.

• Like 1

Most of the time is spent stopping in downtown, midtown, and the med center where there isn't really room to make passing loops.  Those platforms are about 60 feet across, while the Metro ROW on Main street is only about 35 feet.  I wonder though if having more cross-overs could work, so one train could pass another on the left like a 2 lane country road.

• Like 1

They aren't going to build something as massive as this and not build it to maximize use and profits. And yeah people, such as your colleagues won't use it because the culutre in this city is still the car. As the culutre changes from generation to generation, that commuter rail will be worth all the trouble.

• Like 1

None of my colleagues who would be likely users seem willing to give up their cars. Conceptually, it's a good idea, but I am somewhat skeptical about actual usage. I also don't trust Metro to build it with enough parking at the outlying stations. If the stations are hard to access, no one will use it.

This is why accurate polling requires a decently sized, representative sample of the population.  :mellow:  

• Like 2

They aren't going to build something as massive as this and not build it to maximize use and profits. And yeah people, such as your colleagues won't use it because the culutre in this city is still the car. As the culutre changes from generation to generation, that commuter rail will be worth all the trouble.

In the green/purple thread a reference to downtown commuter survey was referenced. I was surprised to see how many people said their business subsidized parking downtown, and I was equally surprised when I saw how many would switch to mass transit if their business subsidized that instead.

I think we're closer than you might think. It will probably take government giving out tax breaks for companies that subsidize mass transit over cars though.

• Like 2

In the green/purple thread a reference to downtown commuter survey was referenced. I was surprised to see how many people said their business subsidized parking downtown, and I was equally surprised when I saw how many would switch to mass transit if their business subsidized that instead.

I think we're closer than you might think. It will probably take government giving out tax breaks for companies that subsidize mass transit over cars though.

My employees have the choice of either paid basic parking or a METRO Q card - from a dollars and cents standpoint it's not much of a difference for me; likewise it's not a huge line item in the compensation package.  Those who take the transit option are generally either on rail or (more likely) a Park and Ride; I can't remember the last time anyone in my shop chose to commute by regular bus. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 6/22/2015 at 10:29 AM, cspwal said:

I was walking around yesterday and noticed that there appears to be a light rail track that goes along Holmes from the MetroRail depot for 1.7 miles.  The rails are rusted, and there's bushes growing into it, so it's not used very often if at all.  Any ideas what it is?

Took a trek into Pierce Junction this week. Went along Holmes road in between the abandoned light rail track and the TRRC live tracks.

You are right lots of sharp bushes growing! Ouch!

KayhLev.jpg

Walking down the tracks leads you to a dirt road in PJ.

mbtDvMr.jpg

On 6/22/2015 at 6:12 PM, JLWM8609 said:

I believe that's the only stretch of line where the light rail cars can reach their top speed of 66 mph.

The abandoned tracks had a 66 sign posted.

j6TN156.jpg

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Abandoned Light Rail Track on Holmes Road?
9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So why is this track abandoned or were there plans to connect it to future rail?

It was the test track for the rail cars before all of the other track was built. It runs from the rail operations center at Fannin and Holmes, alongside the freight tracks, until just past Buffalo Speedway. 

• Like 3

I wish there was some more traction for building LRT to Missouri City. They are one of the few member cities of Metro beyond Houston that actually pays in tax revenue to the agency yet get a couple crappy local bus routes.

A lot of the criticism of such an extension would be that it runs through a low density area. Yet my impression of that part of town is that its kind of poor and having a fast transit connection to all the employment that exists in the medical center would be beneficial? Then further out there could be a P&R for people in the suburbs.

• Like 4

You also don't have to build all the stations when you build the tracks - you can always add infill stations.  A quick connection from the Missouri City park and ride could turn it into a real TC - have the local bus routes feed into it, and you can take a 66 mph train to Fannin South (before it has to slow down to normal)

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Abandoned Light Rail Track On Holmes Rd.
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I expect the city to really take off during Whitmire's term. 

From what I have heard, Whitmire will not be very transit focused. I hope to be wrong, but I am worried how METRO will stand during Whitmire's time. 

For example, during his Inauguration today, he literally said "we will make METRO pay for the roads that their buses tear up". I guess he forgot that 1/4 of METRO's current sales tax revenue does go to the county and city to spend on road projects. He has also made numerous anti bike lane comments and anti transit comments in debates. Doesn't seem promising for METRO and transit for Houston. 

1 minute ago, Justin Welling said:

From what I have heard, Whitmire will not be very transit focused. I hope to be wrong, but I am worried how METRO will stand during Whitmire's time. 

For example, during his Inauguration today, he literally said "we will make METRO pay for the roads that their buses tear up". I guess he forgot that 1/4 of METRO's current sales tax revenue does go to the county and city to spend on road projects. He has also made numerous anti bike lane comments and anti transit comments in debates. Doesn't seem promising for METRO and transit for Houston. 

In one of those debates he mentioned having options to move around. I mean we'll see where he takes us. I'm still on the fence with him. I was in a meeting recently with a well known Houstonian who follows things like this and he said Whitmire's focus will be public safety and development. As a cyclist myself, I'm nervous but we'll see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

In one of those debates he mentioned having options to move around. I mean we'll see where he takes us. I'm still on the fence with him. I was in a meeting recently with a well known Houstonian who follows things like this and he said Whitmire's focus will be public safety and development. As a cyclist myself, I'm nervous but we'll see. 

Totally agree! I am very nervous as well. I hope to be surprised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Whitmire strikes me as a practical person.  If something is for the greater good I believe he will support, so long as it is utilized.  UH people hate him for blocking the “Freshmen mandate to live on campus” initiative pushed by Renu Khator but his rationale was that that kind of rule would make UH less accessible to the underprivileged.  I’ve also heard him criticize places like The Heights asking for wider sidewalks when there are low income neighborhoods in Houston without sidewalks at all.  He portrays himself as a man of the little people…we shall see.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Whitmire strikes me as a practical person.  If something is for the greater good I believe he will support, so long as it is utilized.  UH people hate him for blocking the “Freshmen mandate to live on campus” initiative pushed by Renu Khator but his rationale was that that kind of rule would make UH less accessible to the underprivileged.  I’ve also heard him criticize places like The Heights asking for wider sidewalks when there are low income neighborhoods in Houston without sidewalks at all.  He portrays himself as a man of the little people…we shall see.

Man I hope so. His comment about Metro buses today made people scratch their heads. Unless he's saying we need to stop forfeiting 1/4 of Metro funds to other counties and use that for here.