Sign in to follow this  
phillip_white

Midtown Retail - Main St. @ Hadley

Good news everyone! Per an update at While walking home from the Midtown Redevelopment Authority meeting tonight, I noticed the gate open at this site and let myself in.  My previous post about the pool was invalid, but they did excavate the center of the parking lot and partially refilled the hole.  There is various machinery inside the structure as well as lumber and drywall.  It seems as though this is definitely underway.

I was super pumped about this project, but from the exterior it looks like they're renovating this as cheaply as possible.  Sheets of concrete board are going over the existing latticed facade on the McIlhenny side.  Hopefully they are going to open it up with windows on the Main St side, as shown in the renderings.

• Like 1

Know the owner, they are making 200k a month off this place. People are spending 20k on a table! Pool will be open in a month

• Like 2

Strange...driving by it on Main it still looked closed...must be the wrong direction to look

Strange...driving by it on Main it still looked closed...must be the wrong direction to look

From what I hear, it's only open Friday and Saturday night.  I walked by last night on the way to the rail stop and there were about 100-150 people outside waiting to get in.

• Like 1

Yes its only open Friday and Saturday night. The place looks insane from the inside. Pool expected to open within a month

Have you heard anything about what's going in on the Hadley side?  The initial rendering showed a restaurant going in, but it doesn't seem like much work has been done lately.  There's also a pallet of bricks outside on the corner, so I wasn't sure if they're considering throwing a brick veneer on... Not that there's nearly enough to do much of anything.

Yup same crew as roak plus the original owners of Rich's....The drinks are still crazy expensive when I went they were 13 dollars for a mixed drink! 7 dollars for a beer! 

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Tarakaan-restaurant-and-lounge-set-to-open-Sept-6498251.php#photo-8612993

Tarakaan, an Asian-themed restaurant and lounge, is set to open Sept. 16 at 2301 Main at Hadley in a 1920s building that was redesigned in the 1980s by famed Chicago architect Stanley Tigerman for Knoll. The 6,000-square-foot space has been transformed into a visually arresting restaurant and cocktail lounge inspired by some of the world's hottest dining and nightclub venues.

• Like 2

i'll be dining at hakkasan in london this week so i'll have a pretty solid frame of reference on how tarakaan stacks up... not that i'd expect it to stack up favorably to a michelin-starred restaurant.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bobruss said:

What happened to Tarakaan? It didn't last long.

Tarakaan was a joke.  Food was decent, but pricey and it seemed like they were only focused on alcohol sales.  The one time I went there, we were sat in the bar for 30 minutes to wait for a table even though half the seating was available.  After getting a table I watched as they did this to every person that came in, presumably so they would order a couple drinks while they waited.

Its amazing the amount of money bar and restaurant investors and developers are willing to waste on poorly planned and executed 

projects. I often wonder if some of these aren't just laundering money cause they don't seem to have much of a clue about running 

hospitality establishments.