Pizza in Houston

Lots of people (incl. me) like Star for deep-dish pizza.

If you want thin crust, NY Pizzeria, Fuzzys, Romano's, Collinas, and Antonio's Flying Pizza on Hillcroft are all good choices. Fuzzys and NYP do a big per-slice business, if it were me choosing I'd probably choose Romanos or Antonio's.

Many pizza snobs turn up their noses at Cici's, but I find it to be surprisingly good for a pizza buffet. Especially with kids.

Mario's in Galveston on the Seawall always impresses me.

Marty

Go here for more suggestions http://www.b4-u-eat.com you can search by zip code or type of food. I really like that site.

Kennaelly's on Shepherd makes an amazing thin crust pizza but it is a bar and not really a restaurant, get your pie to go if smoke and beer are a problem

Folks rave about Star Pizza, I think they are over-rated but apparently you can't find a better deep dish pie, personally I think Star pizza is too soggy, thin or deep dish. Stay away from the dry wheat crust.

Romano's has a decent NY Style thin crust pizza

Fuzzy's is decent, I think they are better than Star, but the service at Fuzzy's is spotty at best

I hear Antonio's is really good

Late Night Pie is ok, the service can be atrocious and I don't think they're very clean

I hear folks say good things about Candelari's but I've never had it

I personally never cared for Star. Probably been about a dozen times over the past 7 years and it never impressed me.

Antonio's is pretty good for the traditional thin crust. I'd rate it second after Romano's.... but I still havent tried alot of these other places you guys are mentioning.

The pizza served by the slice at Costco's isn't too bad either.

Rankings:

1) Star Pizza

2) Kinneally's Pub

3) Romanos

4) Collina's

I was just thinking about adding Collina's and Kinneally's but you beat me to the punch. You have similar taste to mine. I love Romano's as well.

Someone mentioned Ponzo's and I have to argue that point. While the pizza is pretty good (albeit extremely greasy) the service is horrible. I live 5 minutes away and I have only once gotten my pizza delivered within 45 minutes and most of the time it takes right at an hour. I live 5 minutes away. How is that the case.

I have also dined in many times and the wait has been super long. I went in a few weeks ago and sat and watched the people. There were maybe 3 other people in the store and they still took 22 minutes (I timed them) to put my two cheese slices into the oven. By the time I finally got my two slices 30 minutes had passed and I was fuming. In that same time they took no other orders. So it was not like they were busy with delivery pizza's. The guy running the show is so lazy it drives me crazy.

Sorry for the rant --I am sure someone else will come back with a statement that their service is the best in town. If so I have never seen it.

I live 5 minutes away and I have only once gotten my pizza delivered within 45 minutes

Dude, put up the pipe, and go pick it up yourself ;-)

Is 20 mintues too long for a Pizza? And greasy? The Deluxe and Pepp are pretty dry IMHO. But that's all we ever get.

I have NEVER had it delivered, even when I lived 5 mintues away in Midtown. Better yet, stop by, order, go to Specs and by the time you get back they are taking it out of the oven.

Sure beats some doofus driving around Midtown looking for my house.

And if you pick up, it's buy one large, get one free.

Dude, put up the pipe, and go pick it up yourself ;-) 

Is 20 mintues too long for a Pizza?  And greasy?  The Deluxe and Pepp are pretty dry IMHO.  But that's all we ever get.

I have NEVER had it delivered, even when I lived 5 mintues away in Midtown.  Better yet, stop by, order, go to Specs and by the time you get back they are taking it out of the oven.

Sure beats some doofus driving around Midtown looking for my house. 

And if you pick up, it's buy one large, get one free.

Sometimes I do not want to leave the house. Call me lazy all you want, but that is why restuarants deliver. I do not call them anymore. The service there sucks and I do not have to deal with it when I can drive an extra 5 minutes and get Romanos.

As for the 20 minutes comment, I think I mentioned my issues with their service. 20 minutes is usually the time it takes them to put it in the oven.

I am happy you had good service (and I mentioned this in my earlier post)

Just messing with you, a bit.

They actually used to be really rude there, too.

It's a NYC thing.

Its cool - .

The guys at Romanos can be pretty rude too. I am cool with it since most of the time it is actually entertaining. I once oredered a pizza with light sauce. When I picked it up I noticed it was swimming in sauce. I told the guy I ordered light sauce, he argued and said I asked for heavy sauce. We bickered for awhile until his partner came out and screamed at him to make me a new pizza. The guy winked at me and they ended up giving me the pizza for free. That is only time they have messed up an order an I eat there 1-2 times a week.

Its cool - . 

The guys at Romanos can be pretty rude too.  I am cool with it since most of the time it is actually entertaining.  I once oredered a pizza with light sauce.  When I picked it up I noticed it was swimming in sauce.  I told the guy I ordered light sauce,  he argued and said I asked for heavy sauce.  We bickered for awhile until his partner came out and screamed at him to make me a new pizza.  The guy winked at me and they ended up giving me the pizza for free.    That is only time they have messed up an order an I eat there 1-2 times a week.

Exactly.

I swear they'de lean forward and smack ya in the head if you took too long to order. They used to give my buddy hell all the time for showing up each day right about munchie time. Ah, fond memories.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone tried Dolce Vita (map) yet?

Believe it is owned by Damarco.

Went to Dolce Vita last night and loooooved the pizza. I got the proschuitto pizza and it was magnificent. The prices were very reasonable.

$4 appetizer (mushrooms in some type of cheese)

2 $7 glasses of nice wine

$14 great specialty pizza that filled 2 of us up (guessing 14")

I also found the ambiance and the service to be quite enjoyable. I'll be back for sure.