Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

If I were going to build a HSR rail station/TOD development on the north side of Houston, I'd build it at Springwoods Village (i.e. the Exxon development). Right at the major highway intersection of 45 and the future GP. The gray section in the Springwoods Village conceptual plan would be ideal with the rail line bisecting the land. Take the route from downtown up the Hardy and veer west at Old Town Spring. This could be the North Houston/Woodlands stop. Then continue on up the right of way along FM 149 and FM 1486 and onward north. Springwoods has grand plans--a HSR station would fit right in line with what they hope to accomplish. If nothing else I'm sure those execs up at the Exxon HQ would make use of the new line to visit the new campus (and perhaps TCR would find an unlikely investor ;)).

www.springwoodsvillage.com/images/large/100920_Springwoods-Village-Districts.jpg

If I recall a certain "Hardy Rail Yards" has been vacant for some time...they already got the name down so why not? At least this way it could connect to the small light rail system we have in place. However, a further out station might be the catalyst for commuter rail.

It would be ludicrous to imagine TCR not building a downtown area station. Any other stations would have to be in addition to a downtown station. 

That being said, I wonder if they have any intent to create a commuter rail service themselves. Is there any legal hurdle for them to do it here in Houston? Does METRO or other government bodies have the exclusive rights to local transit service or anything of that nature?

Why not build three stations in the Houston metro region as they have spoken of in the Metroplex? Run the Dallas--Houston route, but also run a "local" train just between the three local stations. They should maximize the use of the rail line they will construct. The Woodlands to Downtown in 10 minutes. Downtown to Galveston in 20 or so. I'm sure quite a few people will pay the necessary price to make it profitable.

Galveston would be the big winner (or loser I suppose depending upon your viewpoint) in such a scenario. Think of how many new condos can be sold if the island is suddenly 20 minutes from downtown instead of an hour. The island would see a real estate boom! Additionally the trains can be commissioned for hurricane evacuations as they would be able to ferry tens of thousands of people in a reasonably short time frame in an emergency.  

Here you go IronTiger!  A stop in College Station.

That initial line would also include a stop in College Station, said Ted Houghton, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission.

“The Houston-to-Dallas connection is going to happen,” Houghton told the Star-Telegram. “It will have one stop, in College Station. It will be just east of Highway 6.”

"Galleria Area" could mean around 290/Northwest Transit Center area, I've been told.  

It will be very difficult to get the line all the way to downtown or a more central area, which is a shame, but the cost of the necessary infrastructure to do that will likely not be worth it to a private company. 

Edited by mfastx

If a stop closer to Madisonville is "just East" of College Station I'll wait on drawing conclusions of what "near" the Galleria means.

You misread the article...

In previous discussions about high-speed rail, Texas Central Railway officials have said the route would generally follow the Interstate 45 corridor, which could put a high-speed line closer to Madisonville. College Station is about 40 miles west of I-45.

It will be a lot closer to that. 40 miles away from The Galleria area would be Sealy or Conroe.

I'm struggling with the idea of the HSR station being  at Northwest mall.

It sux that its not downtown b/c I think a signature DT station would be cool.....it would spur growth.... it caters to the ppl who will prob take it most: Business travelers

It sux that its not actually in the Galleria b/c that's kinda like DT.....

It's good b/c it might actually get some weight behind building LR from downtown AND the Galleria to the Northwest mall area....5-10 minute LR train ride to both Galleria AND DT. That's sounds appealing.

Hmmm. 

That commission is not the actual rail developer, is it?  Doesn't read or sound like it.  If that's the case then this thing could get muddled as everyone's going to want a piece of the pie.  Houston-CS-Dallas is not as attractive as being Houston-Dallas.  The stop at College Station/Bryan would likely only be 5-8 minutes, but it would require a slow-down and start-up for that location dragging the overall time well north of 90 minutes.

Also mentioned in that article was the need for federal funding for the Fort Worth - Dallas part of the line, which was not mentioned by the developers as a part of the first scope.  Unless I missed something?

I'm struggling with the idea of the HSR station being at Northwest mall.

It sux that its not downtown b/c I think a signature DT station would be cool.....it would spur growth.... it caters to the ppl who will prob take it most: Business travelers

It's good b/c it might actually get some weight behind building LR from downtown AND the Galleria to the Northwest mall area....5-10 minute LR train ride to both Galleria AND DT. That's sounds appealing.

Hmmm.

Well if the proposed commuter rail goes through and the reports of talks between TCR and GCRRA are true then why wouldn't this be a viable option? Northwest mall is less than 5 minutes from galleria and the commuter rail would run right through it. This would be a perfect transportation hub if the route were to go through 290.

That commission is not the actual rail developer, is it?  Doesn't read or sound like it.  If that's the case then this thing could get muddled as everyone's going to want a piece of the pie.  Houston-CS-Dallas is not as attractive as being Houston-Dallas.  The stop at College Station/Bryan would likely only be 5-8 minutes, but it would require a slow-down and start-up for that location dragging the overall time well north of 90 minutes.

Also mentioned in that article was the need for federal funding for the Fort Worth - Dallas part of the line, which was not mentioned by the developers as a part of the first scope.  Unless I missed something?

Likely there'd be two services...one non-stop to Dallas and one a puddle jumper.  That's how it works in Japan and the Tokyo to Osaka line has something like 17 stops for the slower train.  Could be we'll eventually see a couple of stops in our area, maybe the Woodlands area and then Galleria/Northwest Transit Center area.

That's what I'm asking... how is the "commission" connected to the Texas Central Railway?  Seems to me its some sort of quasi-governmental types  that will have more say than it probably should considering its represented by people from all those little north-Texas Metroplex suburbs.

The commission has zero say. It's up to what Texas central railway wants at the end. And they've always insisted on 45

The commission, of which Ted Houghton is the chair, oversees TxDOT.  They may not have direct control, but I bet they could put up roadblocks or speed things along if they want.  This is from the TTC's website FAQ...

What are the commission's responsibilities?

The Texas Transportation Commission is responsible for:

• planning and making policies for the location, construction and maintenance of state highways,
  • overseeing the design, construction, maintenance and operation of the state highway system,
  • developing a statewide transportation plan that contains all modes of transportation, including highways and turnpikes, aviation, mass transportation, railroads, high-speed railroads and water traffic,
  • awarding contracts for the improvement of the state highway system,
  • encouraging, fostering and assisting in the development of public and mass transportation in the state, and
  • adopting rules for the operation of the department.

A complete list of Commission duties is available in the Texas Administrative Code

Sounds like they've got pretty extensive reach.  I doubt the chair would go out on a limb about a CS station unless he's reasonably sure that's being planned.  Most likely TCR is including them in their discussions at some level.  TCR is going to be working with the state, not against it.

Ah.  That commission!  Well, hopefully they don't have too much influence or this privately funded study and company will take its bag or tricks to route B and go forward there.

A stop in College Station - while someday needed, and certainly will get used on Aggie football gamedays - is not the best allocation of TCR's resources currently at least in my opinion.  Why not stop too in Huntsville and Corsicana?  I mean this thing can get dragged out by all those podunk places who want to sit at the big kids table but aren't big enough yet.

• Like 1

I'm struggling with the idea of the HSR station being  at Northwest mall.

Hmmm. 

Yeah, that's just one of the proposed locations, but it's doubtful that it gets inside of 610 whatever alignment they choose.  Best chance for a downtown stop is the Hardy Yards area.  They are also looking at the Post Office location.  Of course nothing is set in stone but I'd assume they'd go with the cheapest option which would be a stop around the 610 loop, whether it's at the Northwest mall or near 610 and 45. 

If the alignment near College Station and Houston station near Loop 610 and the Katy Freeway turn out to be the ultimate decision (although I think everything is still preliminary), then that means the corridor will follow the Union Pacific railroad along Hempstead Road or the BNSF corridor generally along SH 249 to Tomball. I think we can eliminate the Hardy Toll Road/railroad corridor as a candidate since it is not suitable for a College Station alignment.

If it is the Union Pacific corridor along Hempstead, that opens up the possibility of expediting the currently-on-hold Hempstead Tollway which is part of the corridor's master plan. For the high speed rail, all grade separations will need to be eliminated. It would make sense to do this in conjunction with the toll road construction, making it similar to the Hardy Toll Road between Loop 610 and Beltway 8. It would probably be least expensive to bring the cross streets over the rail corridor and tollway easement, but of course the cross streets could also go under as may be needed outside BW 8. Preliminary schematics showed the high capacity transit corridor south of the tollway and existing railroad, not in the middle of the toll road like it is on the Hardy Toll Road.

As others have noted, the high speed rail could do double service with commuter rail. I can envision a potential public-private partership, with TxDOT building the intersection-free corridor for both the railroad and toll road (the high speed rail corporation would pay for the actual tracks), and the high speed corporation granting commuter rail rights.

Another item of interest is the mention that the station in College Station would be east of Highway 6. That means a new alignment. That's a favorable indication, because to get the straightness for the desired speed and to avoid small towns I think they will need to place much of the corridor outside Houston and Dallas on new alignment.

Edited by MaxConcrete

Ah.  That commission!  Well, hopefully they don't have too much influence or this privately funded study and company will take its bag or tricks to route B and go forward there.

A stop in College Station - while someday needed, and certainly will get used on Aggie football gamedays - is not the best allocation of TCR's resources currently at least in my opinion.  Why not stop too in Huntsville and Corsicana?  I mean this thing can get dragged out by all those podunk places who want to sit at the big kids table but aren't big enough yet.

If they run both non-stops and station-hoppers, why would it really matter if they had stations in Huntsville, Corsicana or even Mexia?  Unless they shift the alignment from CS to Dallas to go via Waco, there really isn't much to warrent stops anyway so likely it'll be a couple of stops in DFW and here and a stop in CS.

Since it will only take 30 minutes to get to College Station, it will turn A&M into another commuter school for Houston.

Ha!  Depending on where you are coming from and the time of day, it might be faster to commute to A&M than UH.  A damn sight more expensive commute, though.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's just one of the proposed locations, but it's doubtful that it gets inside of 610 whatever alignment they choose.  Best chance for a downtown stop is the Hardy Yards area.  They are also looking at the Post Office location.  Of course nothing is set in stone but I'd assume they'd go with the cheapest option which would be a stop around the 610 loop, whether it's at the Northwest mall or near 610 and 45. 

if Dallas gets a downtown stop and Houstons stop ends up outside of the loop im going to shit a brick.

• Like 2

ugh. no college station stop please. and if they must stop there, make at least half the trips direct Houston to Dallas, and alternate which ones stop there. i like to spend as little time in college station as possible.

I doubt there'd be little more than a few stops each day at CS. A couple in the morning, one at lunch, and two later in the afternoon.

ugh. no college station stop please. and if they must stop there, make at least half the trips direct Houston to Dallas, and alternate which ones stop there. i like to spend as little time in college station as possible.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Most likely there'll be plenty of not-stops to Dallas and a few that will stop in CS.  I think I heard somewhere that they may try to run departures every 30 mins.  That leaves plenty of room for non-stops as well as CS-stops.

Would it help if they shifted the alignment to go Houston, CS, Waco, Dallas?

if Dallas gets a downtown stop and Houstons stop ends up outside of the loop im going to shit a brick.

I think I'll jump for joy.  It'd be a closer ride for me to get to a Galleria area station than having to go downtown or to the airports to catch a flight.  Of course, I do my best to avoid Dallas so it might be a moot point.