Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

First off I don't think Houston should even be included in this short list you have created. The above cities you named all have upscale shopping DISTRICTS, Houston only has a shopping MALL(Galleria). Yes I agree with you , Dallas upscale shopping is somewhat spread out.........But I think that is a plus simply because when people shop in Dallas (Visistors and Locals) They have the luxury of entering and experiencing different atmospheres, different energy's, different attractions, all in different UPSCALE venues....In Houston all yo have is the  galleria......Yeah it's a Huge mall but once you visit it(shoppers) You won't have to for a looooong time because you(the shopper) will see everything Houston Has to offer all in 30 minutes. The Houston Galleria is a Great mall and I do like it better than "Galleria Dallas", but at the same time Galleria dallas is just one single selection of the many to choose from for a great evening of upscale shopping. Another reason I think being spread out is better is because people like Choices. Some days people might not want to deal with a big busy mall like the Houston Galleria, now what are they to do? In dallas you would just go down the road to a more intimate setting like Hiland Park Village or any other open air upscale center. It's all about diversity.It's better to offer the public many choices for a shopping evenig that way it makes it just that much easier to please evrybody at every age when they Visit Dallas! :rolleyes:  :D

Shopping Districts? Are you crazy! the Houston Galleria aka Uptown is the area the Galleria mall is in, not just the mall that is Houstons shopping district. And you say Houston doesn't have a shopping district? Atlanta doesn't have a shopping district.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shopping Districts? Are you crazy! the Houston Galleria aka Uptown is the area the Galleria mall is in, not just the mall that is Houstons shopping district. And you say Houston doesn't have a shopping district? Atlanta doesn't have a shopping district.

Ok....is it the Gallaria district? What do yall call it? How may UPSCALE stores are outside of the Galleria?Better yet...put it like this...If the Galleria was not there, Would it still be considered an UPSCALE shopping DISTRICT? <_<

First off I don't think Houston should even be included in this short list you have created. The above cities you named all have upscale shopping DISTRICTS, Houston only has a shopping MALL(Galleria). Yes I agree with you , Dallas upscale shopping is somewhat spread out.........But I think that is a plus simply because when people shop in Dallas (Visistors and Locals) They have the luxury of entering and experiencing different atmospheres, different energy's, different attractions, all in different UPSCALE venues....In Houston all yo have is the  galleria......Yeah it's a Huge mall but once you visit it(shoppers) You won't have to for a looooong time because you(the shopper) will see everything Houston Has to offer all in 30 minutes. The Houston Galleria is a Great mall and I do like it better than "Galleria Dallas", but at the same time Galleria dallas is just one single selection of the many to choose from for a great evening of upscale shopping. Another reason I think being spread out is better is because people like Choices. Some days people might not want to deal with a big busy mall like the Houston Galleria, now what are they to do? In dallas you would just go down the road to a more intimate setting like Hiland Park Village or any other open air upscale center. It's all about diversity.It's better to offer the public many choices for a shopping evenig that way it makes it just that much easier to please evrybody at every age when they Visit Dallas! :rolleyes:  :D

I listed cities that had the most upscale stores "steps away" not shopping districs and there's no way you'll ever see what Houston offers in 30 min. I'm not trying to put down Dallas, I like Dallas but I'm tellin you most people like to shop in the same area you'll never see someone from Houston go all the way to The Woodlans to buy Tommy Bahama and come down to buy an Armani suit! Houston does have shopping district it called Uptown wich has a higher per capita income than Beverly Hills, Highland Park, and Atlanta's Buchhead districs. Oh yeah I'm really gonna drive around America's Highest crime city just because they don't have a real shopping district. LOL

Ok....is it the Gallaria district? What do yall call it? How may UPSCALE stores are outside of the Galleria?Better yet...put it like this...If the Galleria was not there, Would it still be considered an UPSCALE shopping DISTRICT? <_<

Not sure what the point here is (hell, I don't what the point of this whole thread is). However, The Galleria is Hine's development and it takes up a relatively small portion of the area now called Uptown. As more stores, restaurants, hotels and office grew up around the Galleria, it was all called the Galleria. The Hines people complained that only their development should be called the Galleria. The surrounding merchants solved the dilemma by calling the entire area Uptown Houston. It now has it's own management district, as well. The Galleria is an integral part of the Uptown District. Uptown stretches roughly from US 59 on the south to Woodway on the north, and from Loop 610 on the East to Yorktown or Chimney Rock on the west.

Do they still have the Tom Thumb there?

Is this the one in Las Colinas area where they have or had at one time a man dressed in a suit playing at a grand piano in the middle of the store? My dear mother-in-law thought it was so charming and elegant to shop there. :)

Yeah but what all those cities have is that they're upscale shops are steps away from each other unlike Dallas wich has upscale shops miles apart.

Atlanta = Lenox/Phipps Plaza

LA = Rodeo Dr./South Coast Plaza

Lennox is not an upscale mall. It has some very nice stores, Neimans and what not, but it not upscale. Perimeter Mall (several miles North) is more upscale than Lennox. While Phipps is steps away from Lennox, it's not a walk that any shopper will take. Phipps is small, Lennox is gigantic and getting bigger. The combination of the two malls and neighboring strip centers provides something of a paradise shoppers paradise, but there is not really the high concentration of 'upscale' retailers which would really compare to what the Houston Galleria has.

Rodeo Dr. and South Coast Plaza are no less than an hours drive from each other.

Just two bad pairings in the example which successfully points out that neither Dallas, Houston nor Atlanta have a shopping scene comparable to the primary prestigious shopping districts in America.

I know having been there during my last visit. One thing I don't get is why Dallas gets upscale stores before we do.

It's a very simple reason: three times as many people live in the Dallas basic trading area as live in the Houston basic trading area. Broadly and not precisely defined, the Houston trading area ranges from Lake Charles, Nacogdoches, Bryan/College Station to Victoria. The Dallas trading area includes Temple, Tyler, Shreveport, Sherman/Denison, Oklahoma south of but not really including OKCity, The Texas Panhandle, Trans Pecos, San Angelo.

Outside of the demographic realities which register about 30% more retail activity in the Metroplex than Houston Metro, Dallas has a proclivity for pretentious fashion whores that gets the attention of high dollar vendors.

The fashion industry in Dallas is one that believe will experience dramatic growth and prestige during the coming years. Downtown Dallas' uptown neighborhood is very quickly laying the ground work for one of those top shelf shopping districts along the lines of Rodeo Drive, Madison Avenue etc. There's a lot of rich folks and serious disposable income moving to Uptown (not the 30Kmillionaires so common in big D), as well as some Internationally high profile outfits moving into the same area. All those fancy digs, and the fancy hotels, and highrise urban cityscape will really add the incentive to bring more national and potentially internation attention to Dallas as a shopping destination.

All that said, Dallas will have more upscale shops and will have them first, but 85-90% of the retail outlets will also find a store front somewhere in Houston.

The above cities you named all have upscale shopping DISTRICTS, Houston only has a shopping MALL(Galleria).

The roster of fancy stores with the haute couture in the Houston Galleria is very impressive, but the prestige is diluted simply from being in the same building as 'regular' stores. The biggest thing setting Rodeo Drive (e.g.) apart from the rest of the crop is exclusivity. No one carrying a Channel bag with $10,000 worth of merchandise really wants to chance bumping into someone with a Dillards bag holding $75 worth of merchandise.

Okay Like OMG Whatever I totally dont care as long as daddy buys me new Louis Vuitton!!! LMAO

Okay back to reality a little to vain even for my taste(an I love fashion)

Atlanta Lennox/Phipps is indeed upscale Lennox:Bally,Louis Vuitton,hugoboss,burberry,versace jeans couture,neimans your trying to that mall isnt upscale then I dont know what is. Phipps interior wise is one of the nicest ive seen. Saks,Jeffery NYC, Versace Gucci.etc to say theses to malls arent upscale is riduclous an personally ive walked across the intersection to get to both its not that hard but most would prefer to go valet to valet in the new rover :lol: lol

Perimeter is nice Memorial/Woodlands uppermiddle class upscale still a nice mall indeed just had to clarify that but not exactly lennox/phipps

Dallas: No way they are gonna see a fall in the highend shopping unless the economy goes completely bust, an still the ppl who can really afford those stores would still shop there.

Dtown/Htown TX exclusives. I love how we have two well known power cities an now that Austin an San Antonio are coming up both already have saks which cuts it for me in the upscale realm plus SA is moving up more so we have 4power places in our Country of Texas lol.....But Ive noticed the difference in the I have you have power plays..Houston has big time designer bad boys..YSL,Fendi,Dior,Giorgio Armani,Global Louis Vuitton store(for u int'l enthusist :) )(damn i wish we still had dolcegabbana) Dallas has stores with rarer locations(not to say one is better than other both equal) Escada,D&G,Loro Piana,Jil Sander,Nicole Miller etc. Cant really find words to wrap it up but if one doesnt have it the other does so you can get all your jetset shopping done in our wonderful state. :D Plus both have more than Chicago minus prada OOOOHHHHHH Joke (please dont start on that) :D

Is this the one in Las Colinas area where they have or had at one time a man dressed in a suit playing at a grand piano in the middle of the store? My dear mother-in-law thought it was so charming and elegant to shop there. :)

HA! It's not the same Thom Thumb. The one in HPV is pretty small, not like the caverns they build nowadays.

It's been years, but me and my Las Colinas coworkers would go the deli at that supermarket occasionally for lunch. It was pretty silly to me at the first - all the pomp of a man in a tux, a grand piano, and melodic Chopin - but quickly became a very pleasant lunch break. They had really good food, too, for a grocery store deli, that is.

Atlanta Lennox/Phipps is indeed upscale Lennox:Bally,Louis Vuitton,hugoboss,burberry,versace jeans couture,neimans your trying to that mall isnt upscale then I dont know what is.  Phipps interior wise is one of the nicest ive seen. Saks,Jeffery NYC, Versace Gucci.etc to say theses to malls arent upscale is riduclous an personally ive walked across the intersection to get to both its not that hard but most would prefer to go valet to valet in the new rover :lol:  lol

I'll double check myself tomorrow on that whole 'what do you consider upscale' deal after I have lunch over there. I doubt that I'll change on Lennox, but I'll probably retract myself a bit. I wasnt clear to state that do think Phipps is very upscale, with a nice movie theater. And, I just now (magically) remembered that one of my favorite Atlanta hotel bars, in the Ritz Carlton, is mere steps away.

Walking across that street, like, even if it wasnt hot has hell, totally sucks.

I'll double check myself tomorrow

You do that. Maybe you should even triple check your facts before you go posting all this b.s.

I'll probably retract myself a bit.

Yes, you should. But, I bet you won't.

You do that. Maybe you should even triple check your facts before you go posting all this b.s.

If you'll be more specific to point out which of my comments you think are bullshit, I'll neutrally explain myself. What's with the hostility Mr.X?

I know this is not about highend shopping, but one of the places I've discovered over the last few years is the Harwin strip.

They have everything from picture frames to leather jackets to sunglasses to suitcases, and the prices are insane (cheap) for most of this stuff. I don't hear alot of talk about this area and to me, it's a treasure trove of great bargains.

Does Dallas have anything like this?

Yep. Harry Hines.

When does it get 110 degrees in LA?

I'm trying to make a point I know its never 110 F in LA. (POINT its soo friken HOT in LA)

And yeah I agree with you Gary it may be a strange Topic in your opinion but I'm not the one who started it I'm just supporting it just like the rest of the people that filled 3 PAGES. I'm not really into fashion but it just so happends I've been to most of this malls and districs. So I'm sharing my thoughts and opinions.

Archived