On 9/4/2013 at 10:57 AM, Subdude said:

If memory serves the Chase garage tunnel runs through the west side of the block, so connecting to 609 Main might mean burrowing through their basement, which Chase might not want. The alternaive of approaching north from BG Place would mean digging under an entire block of older structures.

1. Chase does not own the Chase garage and likely woukd have nothing to say in the matter.

2. I would think an additional tunnel connection would do nothing but increase the value of the Chase garage building, so not sure why the owner would object.

3. Hines still manages and/or owns the Chase garage.

Edited by Houston19514

Not a big loss. 

I'm still wondering how 609 Main will connect to the tunnels, if at all.

You know, the tenants could access the tunnels by spending 30 seconds above ground, walking across the street, and entering the tunnels from the  the old Gulf Building.  I know it's crazy, but walking through that lobby never gets old. 

Not sure if this was ever confirmed during all the 609 Main height discussion..., but this appears to be a definite confirmation of 47-stories directly from a Hines rep.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/09/three-top-real-estate-professionals.html

Mooz with Hines

Mooz began with his comments on the state of the market as it relates to the energy sector, and with that, Hines’ plans for its next projects:

• Hines plans to break ground on its 47-story downtown skyscraper at 609 Main in the first quarter of next year. Mooz said the company is in talks with several large tenants, but a lead tenant was not mentioned.

• 1 month later...

• 47-Stories, 1.05 Million Square Feet
  • Design Completion: 4th Quarter 2013
  • Construction Start: Jan. 2014

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Hines-bets-big-on-its-hometown-4890024.php#/0

Urbannizer, could you or someone else post the article. Even going through Google doesn't seem to be giving me access.

Edited by fatesdisastr

Urbannizer, could you or someone else post the article. Even going through Google doesn't seem to be giving me access.

They've made it as to where you can no longer copy and past an article or any portion of  an article (such as a paragraph). I've tried on my computer and iPad. Here's a few paragraphs I've written from the article:

From his window, Cover can see Market Square and the block where the office tower is planned. Because it will take several years to build, construction will probably start without any tenant commitments.

"We'd rather build it while the market is demanding space," Cover Said.

The company started planning for a new wave of building in 2006, when Cover began leading the southwest region and was given the green light to move forward on new development in the city where the company was founded in 1957.

The message, he said, was clear: "It's our home, let's go after it."

While office development is still at the core of business, there's been a growing moment toward diversification.

Cover said he respects  the opinions of the neighbors, but he also feels strongly that Houston will continue to become a denser city with people living closer together and buildings getting taller.

"Jerry has instilled in us to try to leave a place with something great," he said, referring to Gerald Hines. "And some people's definition of something great is don't ever build anything. But great cities are dense." 

All the new development is emerging after years of geographic diversification for Hines.

"It's very encouraging that Hines is sort of renewing it's commitment to Houston," Fox said. 

It's doing so with a younger generation of leadership at the firm.

The elder Hines, now 88, does not claim to now how long the current cycle of prosperity will last. But if Houston maintains its strong position in the energy industry, he said, "we will continue to be a very healthy society."

• Like 2

They've made it as to where you can no longer copy and past an article or any portion of  an article (such as a paragraph). I've tried on my computer and iPad. Here's a few paragraphs I've written from the article:

Thanks for taking the time write some of it down for us. I'll look into subscribing soon.

I think he was referring to BG Group Place.  He took a chance will no major tenant.  Now it is 96% full so 609 Main will get built.  Urbannizer said they start in January.  Urbannizer is always correct.

BG Group Place was the "last one" in the quote. The "if" building is 609 Main.

From the interview (different article):

"In Houston, we're excited about our residential project and hopefully our new office building if we can get it off the ground. It got pretty scary on that last one. We completed the leasing but had some scary moments."

If?!?!!

how recent is that article? whats up with the IF when the Chron and Hines reps have all but confirmed it?

they're probably in a dogfight for tenants with the 102 story building  :D

LOLOL thanks for the laugh