I grew up in Park Place, and my Mother still lives there. My Dad built the house that she lives in in 1948. He passed away in 2000. She is 83 and considering selling the house. For a while, the civic club newsletter talked about a revitalization in that area. I don't see it - but I may not know what to look for. I DO know that there have been at least 4 new homes built in her section of Park Place (the River Drive section) in the past two years or so. Just wondering - because the people interested in her house are not offering very much according to what is listed on HAR.

Thanks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I grew up in Park Place, and my Mother still lives there. My Dad built the house that she lives in in 1948. He passed away in 2000. She is 83 and considering selling the house. For a while, the civic club newsletter talked about a revitalization in that area. I don't see it - but I may not know what to look for. I DO know that there have been at least 4 new homes built in her section of Park Place (the River Drive section) in the past two years or so. Just wondering - because the people interested in her house are not offering very much according to what is listed on HAR.

It sounds like its already listed with a fluffy bunny. What are you asking us for? You're paying a mighty big 6% to the fluffy bunnys...ask them and make them actually do some work for their 6%!!

It sounds like its already listed with a fluffy bunny. What are you asking us for? You're paying a mighty big 6% to the fluffy bunnys...ask them and make them actually do some work for their 6%!!

It isn't listed. I am a former realtor, and what you said about realtors is insulting to me and to those in the profession.

Damn, it was just a question.

PapillionWyngs, I live near Park Place in Glenbrook. There has been some revitalization in the area since I've moved in 6 years ago. Will it ever look like a suburb, no. But the civic clubs are working hard to enforce restrictions that in many area seemed to be ignored. And a new Chamber of Commerce was just formed for the area to help improve residential and business in the area.

There are plans like street improvements/beautification on Bellfort, Broadway & Telephone. But I don't know if any of these improvements and their impacts will come soon enough for property you are looking to sell within the next year.

It isn't listed. I am a former realtor, and what you said about realtors is insulting to me and to those in the profession.

That's OK. I consider the steps the fluffy bunnys and their lobbyists are taking to attempt to maintain their monopoly to be insulting as well.

Thanks.

i also currently live in the area (park place/santa rosa area), and to echo what was said above, there are some plans, but they are slow-moving. in addition to proposed street improvements, there is that new retail area near the intersection of telephone and park place, next to the santa rosa theater (but there's only one tenant thus far!), and a few new homes popping up.

unfortunately, especially on my end, there are ALOT of property owners who shouldn't be property owners (from houses to retail) which will continue to impair positive growth in the area.

continuing the echo....

the area seems to be holding its own. i don't see a lot of abandoned buildings- just a lot of thriving hispanic and asian businesses in a generally nice little working class neighborhood. i don't think it will ever turn into the heights (too bad since there are a lot of nice old bungalows hidden in park place) but I think values have been increasing along the lines of other nearby neighborhoods. of course, there are some "splotchy" neighbors mixed in - but that comes in houston when deed restrictions lapse.

I think the new home construction is a good sign. i have seen a few popup on vacant lots in other parts of park place. there was also some discussion of developing about 10 houses on findlay (finday court - near the bayou) a few years ago but i haven't heard anything about it in a while (and i haven't driven back there in a long time to see if anything has happened)

and then you have Gulfgate which you can barely get into the parking lot it's so crowded. I think park place will do fine.

as far as your home pricing, i would say the pricing depends more on exactly where the house is located within ppcc and the condition it's in. if it's near i-45 that may hold it down.....the closer to the bayou/golf course/river dr the better.

continuing the echo....

the area seems to be holding its own. i don't see a lot of abandoned buildings- just a lot of thriving hispanic and asian businesses in a generally nice little working class neighborhood. i don't think it will ever turn into the heights (too bad since there are a lot of nice old bungalows hidden in park place) but I think values have been increasing along the lines of other nearby neighborhoods. of course, there are some "splotchy" neighbors mixed in - but that comes in houston when deed restrictions lapse.

I think the new home construction is a good sign. i have seen a few popup on vacant lots in other parts of park place. there was also some discussion of developing about 10 houses on findlay (finday court - near the bayou) a few years ago but i haven't heard anything about it in a while (and i haven't driven back there in a long time to see if anything has happened)

and then you have Gulfgate which you can barely get into the parking lot it's so crowded. I think park place will do fine.

as far as your home pricing, i would say the pricing depends more on exactly where the house is located within ppcc and the condition it's in. if it's near i-45 that may hold it down.....the closer to the bayou/golf course/river dr the better.

Well, it is near the freeway. The bayou runs in back of it, and you can see the golf course from her back yard.

Well, it is near the freeway. The bayou runs in back of it, and you can see the golf course from her back yard.

so its on the widened de-treed part of the bayou...not in the oxbow.

you can probably see the freeway too. :(

i dont know what is listed on har but i could see a lot of people still liking a house that backs up to the bayou.

if its a small non-descript house in poor condition then you might be looking at lot value. I could see somebody trying to build a mcmansion spec house on a lot with bayou frontage even if it was near the freeway.

what are people offering you? i will top it!!! j/k

so its on the widened de-treed part of the bayou...not in the oxbow.

you can probably see the freeway too. :(

i dont know what is listed on har but i could see a lot of people still liking a house that backs up to the bayou.

if its a small non-descript house in poor condition then you might be looking at lot value. I could see somebody trying to build a mcmansion spec house on a lot with bayou frontage even if it was near the freeway.

what are people offering you? i will top it!!! j/k

The house was totally refurbished in 2002. Everything new on the inside with the exception of the bathroom fixtures in the second bathroom. New roof, new a/c, new heating, new sheetrock, paint, everything.

It was built in 1941, but inside looks brand new. Sits on about 2 acres of land going sideways

Sounds like what I am looking for. How large in sqft and how much?

Scharpe St Guy

The house was totally refurbished in 2002. Everything new on the inside with the exception of the bathroom fixtures in the second bathroom. New roof, new a/c, new heating, new sheetrock, paint, everything.

It was built in 1941, but inside looks brand new. Sits on about 2 acres of land going sideways

• 2 weeks later...

Park Place has shiny new school buildings serving it. Unfortunately, the zoned high school did not meet NCLB's AYP in spring 2006 (I do not know why it failed to meet AYP)

Houston ISD has Park Place zoned to:

* Park Place Elementary School - http://es.houstonisd.org/parkplacees/

* Ortiz Middle School - http://ms.houstonisd.org/ortizms/

* Ch

• 1 year later...

The Burger Haus on Park Place Blvd. Is it gone and when did they leave? They served some of the biggest, juiciest burgers this side of the Grand Canyon!

Also, can you recall when the HPD Substation was on Park Place? there was a small police shop nearby where you could buy just about anything under the sun. Even books on how to incite a riot! :o Serious. Shocking by todays standards. You could buy helmets to wear in riots and books on how to make molotov cocktails, quite bizarre. That must have been in early 80's?

I guess Burger Haus lost its faithful followers after all the regulars fled for the burbs. Man, what was it? some kind of exodus to get away from inner Houston? Sure seemed like it. Egad!

I remember the police station, down from the Santa Rosa Theater. It was across from the "pony rides" place. One of those white ponies broke out of the fence with my sister on it. Whew! They caught it, thank goodness. I loved the pony rides. :D

I remember the police station, down from the Santa Rosa Theater. It was across from the "pony rides" place. One of those white ponies broke out of the fence with my sister on it. Whew! They caught it, thank goodness. I loved the pony rides. :D

That makes me wonder of another mystery of that spot across from the Santa Rosa Theater. It seemed to have a Swiss chalet or European Village theme/motif to it. All of those businesses in a row. There has been tons of insite of the theater but no one mentions of the years that strip of places was built and why it had that peculiar them. Even now it has that little village appearance although a bit run down and now sleazy bars and junk. Just a thought. PS that Mrs Baird's Bread shoppe on the corner has been there for decades! Always fresh it was.

The Burger Haus on Park Place Blvd. Is it gone and when did they leave? They served some of the biggest, juiciest burgers this side of the Grand Canyon!

Also, can you recall when the HPD Substation was on Park Place? there was a small police shop nearby where you could buy just about anything under the sun. Even books on how to incite a riot! :o Serious. Shocking by todays standards. You could buy helmets to wear in riots and books on how to make molotov cocktails, quite bizarre. That must have been in early 80's?

I guess Burger Haus lost its faithful followers after all the regulars fled for the burbs. Man, what was it? some kind of exodus to get away from inner Houston? Sure seemed like it. Egad!

thank god, my family moved out to the burbs when I was about 13. I would have been going to Jones High School. yikes!

I had enough fun at Deady Jr High being punched around. So don't be hating on us flighters we had our own reasons. I think my mom sold our little home to about 2 households of immigrants.

That makes me wonder of another mystery of that spot across from the Santa Rosa Theater. It seemed to have a Swiss chalet or European Village theme/motif to it. All of those businesses in a row. There has been tons of insite of the theater but no one mentions of the years that strip of places was built and why it had that peculiar them.

The Burton Chapman book Telephone Road, Texas lists it as the Alpine Brauhaus Restaurant, was a German restaurant, from 1965, owned by the Westermayers, now in Webster. What was the little addition/room to the right, attached to Santa Rosa theater used for? (in the decent days of it's life?)

I went to Deady and Milby H.S. I survived...talk about some old schools! My Grandmother was from the first graduating class.

The Burton Chapman book Telephone Road, Texas lists it as the Alpine Brauhaus Restaurant, was a German restaurant, owned by the Westermayers, now in Webster. What was the little addition/room to the right, attached to Santa Rosa theater used for? (in the decent days of it's life?)

I went to Deady and Milby H.S. I survived...talk about some old schools! My Grandmother was from the first graduating class.

Thats right it was of German Theme! Like the one my old friend worked at on Telephone Road near the present Harley Motorcycle Business. So its now in Webster?! Wow!

I also "unwillingly of course" had to go to Deady but only for the summer. It was like the Blackboard Jungle and that was around 76? It was mostly Mexican/American & and Anglo kids then. Seemed like weed aroma was everywhere even then! A miracle if any one survived that nut house. :wacko:

I also "unwillingly of course" had to go to Deady but only for the summer. It was like the Blackboard Jungle and that was around 76? It was mostly Mexican/American & and Anglo kids then. Seemed like weed aroma was everywhere even then! A miracle if any one survived that nut house.
:wacko:

:lol: you do have a sense of humor...your observations were correct, and I'm not a nut.

I'll try to find and post some pics I took a few years back of several buildings on Park Place.

Alpine Brauhaus Restaurant on Telephone. I remember eating there at 3 years old (1973-ish) with our German Great Grandmother. We lived within walking distance.

And I had my graduation dinner at their Webster location in 1995.

I also remember the pony rides.

My family bolted for the burbs in 1975 to avoid my staring kindergarten in HISD. I would have gone to the elementary that was/is on Joplin.

My family bolted for the burbs in 1975 to avoid my staring kindergarten in HISD. I would have gone to the elementary that was/is on Joplin.

I think that would have been Brookline Elementary? If true it was over by Brookline Park near Pine Valley off Griggs. Just guessing. It hit the skids around that time too.

Brookline Park what a trip.

I used to feel sorry for the teachers at Deady Jr. High too. Like a Timex watch, they would take a lickin but kept on tickin!

Probably need bullet proof vests now. Yikes!

Alpine Brauhaus Restaurant on Telephone. I remember eating there at 3 years old (1973-ish) with our German Great Grandmother. We lived within walking distance.

And I had my graduation dinner at their Webster location in 1995.

I also remember the pony rides.

I was fortunate enough to go to private (church based) school up until 6th grade (what about 12 yrs old) when I was put in Deady. I was there for 2 years. I guess that would have been around 1988. It seemed as though it was 85% hispanic and maybe 5% caucasiun at the time. I went to elementary school at woodbridge baptist church well it was at Woodbridge and Winkler.

I never ate at the Alpine but I bet someone from my family did. I remember Spanky's pizza for sure though.

Oh we lived one block over from Joplin on Greenstone, not far from the circle on Joplin . Is this neighborhood considered Greenway? or Greenway village?

I was fortunate enough to go to private (church based) school up until 6th grade (what about 12 yrs old) when I was put in Deady. I was there for 2 years. I guess that would have been around 1988. It seemed as though it was 85% hispanic and maybe 5% caucasiun at the time. I went to elementary school at woodbridge baptist church well it was at Woodbridge and Winkler.

I never ate at the Alpine but I bet someone from my family did. I remember Spanky's pizza for sure though.

Oh we lived one block over from Joplin on Greenstone, not far from the circle on Joplin . Is this neighborhood considered Greenway? or Greenway village?

The irony, I drove around that circle just last weekend. I often wondered how strange it must have been to live right on the circle or rather around it. The houses are so close to the passing traffic and simply no privacy. Some of them seem vacant. Funny little circle. By the way the houses at the very end of that street are so cool! They could film movies there, serious. Its like not even being in Houston. Another hidden Houston jewel. :blush:

The irony, I drove around that circle just last weekend. I often wondered how strange it must have been to live right on the circle or rather around it. The houses are so close to the passing traffic and simply no privacy. Some of them seem vacant. Funny little circle. By the way the houses at the very end of that street are so cool! They could film movies there, serious. Its like not even being in Houston. Another hidden Houston jewel. :blush:

I drove by there a couple of years ago, amazing how different your memories are from reality. That circle seemed huge. I mean this is where most of our sandlot baseball games happened with the neighborhood kids. I remember shooting off model rockets from that circle and tresspassing to find the rocket remains in peoples yards. Getting chased by rabid dogs (chows) on our BMX (mongoose and huffy) bikes. Fun stuff like that.

I drove by there a couple of years ago, amazing how different your memories are from reality. That circle seemed huge. I mean this is where most of our sandlot baseball games happened with the neighborhood kids. I remember shooting off model rockets from that circle and tresspassing to find the rocket remains in peoples yards. Getting chased by rabid dogs (chows) on our BMX (mongoose and huffy) bikes. Fun stuff like that.

In early 80's we (friends/family) always and I mean always ate at that Chinese Restuarant Sun Sai Gai, right on 45 near Kelly's. It's now some Mex cafe? Sun Sai Gai was really good and clean and very inexpensive. Perfect for hang overs :ph34r: after a few years they got less and less clean and the place got just nasty so everyone stopped going. The owners bought up several of those large (big porched homes) just behind the restuarant. All good things must end I guess. It was great while it lasted.

By the way what is the name of that huge church on Park Place near Kelly's? Forgot what denomination and name? There are several church's around there right?

In early 80's we (friends/family) always and I mean always ate at that Chinese Restuarant Sun Sai Gai, right on 45 near Kelly's. It's now some Mex cafe? Sun Sai Gai was really good and clean and very inexpensive. Perfect for hang overs :ph34r: after a few years they got less and less clean and the place got just nasty so everyone stopped going. The owners bought up several of those large (big porched homes) just behind the restuarant. All good things must end I guess. It was great while it lasted.

By the way what is the name of that huge church on Park Place near Kelly's? Forgot what denomination and name? There are several church's around there right?

Park Place baptist. I went to the boy scout troop based there for a couple of years.

that chinese restraunt was always nasty as far back as I remember it but that may not be as far back as you.

The elemetary school near Joplin was Golfcrest elementary. Take McHenry off of Telephone and you are right there. There were several churches near that Kellys location Park Place Baptist was on Broadway down where Sims Bayou cut through Glenbrook. Park Place Methodist was on the other side of the freeway on Broadway. St Christophers Catholic church (where I got married) was on the other side of the freeway on Park Place. I went to Golfcrest from the 2nd through the fifth grade. Sixth grade was when they enforced zoning and I had to go to Brookline elementary because I lived right down the street from it. From there I was zoned in a small area that had to go to Jackson Jr. High and then Milby. I graduated from Milby in 1977 as did my wife. She went to Deady Jr. High.

Oh and I think you guys are talking about two different circles. Vertigo I think you mean Park Place circle that goes under the freeway. westguys circle was the Joplin circle which was in the residential neighborhood where three streets came together and they made a mini traffic circle out of it and left the interior of it in grass. Many a kickball and baseball game were played there. No place for those games on the big circle unless you played under the freeway.

The elemetary school near Joplin was Golfcrest elementary. Take McHenry off of Telephone and you are right there. There were several churches near that Kellys location Park Place Baptist was on Broadway down where Sims Bayou cut through Glenbrook. Park Place Methodist was on the other side of the freeway on Broadway. St Christophers Catholic church (where I got married) was on the other side of the freeway on Park Place. I went to Golfcrest from the 2nd through the fifth grade. Sixth grade was when they enforced zoning and I had to go to Brookline elementary because I lived right down the street from it. From there I was zoned in a small area that had to go to Jackson Jr. High and then Milby. I graduated from Milby in 1977 as did my wife. She went to Deady Jr. High.

Oh and I think you guys are talking about two different circles. Vertigo I think you mean Park Place circle that goes under the freeway. westguys circle was the Joplin circle which was in the residential neighborhood where three streets came together and they made a mini traffic circle out of it and left the interior of it in grass. Many a kickball and baseball game were played there. No place for those games on the big circle unless you played under the freeway.

I mean't the circle westguy is speaking of in the nabe, Joplin circle . Not the big one under 45.

In fact living and doing business around this whole area must have had a small town feel to it once. That Florist on feeder/45 has been there for ages right?

Cant remember what was in the spot Castle Dental now stands on? Nothing field? Reminds me need to set appt. Get the old choppers cleaned. :)

PS, yes that Chinese place had become apalling. Menus were filthy, not the best way to impress someone about to order your food. Blah.

Archived