• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is interesting is if you drive on Broadway from 610 towards I-45, the streets are in alphabetical order:

Brockton

Concord

Detroit

Easton

Findlay

Grafton

Hastings

Ithacia

Jennings

Kingsley

Interesting...the Crain developments Pineview Place and Southside Place are like that. Anyone know if Crain had a hand in the development of Park Place? Some of those bungalows look like they could be "Ready-Cut Homes."

Hats off to the staff at the Park Place Post Office on Broadway.

These folks are top notch on customer service big time! Very professional and helpful and so down to earth! Truly harks back to they way Park Place used to be. We prefer using this facility any day opposed to the Lawndale local. :)

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/..._place-1915.jpg

I never realized 'til today, by looking at this map that Park Place ran so far north of the interurban railway, in between the Gulf Frwy & Broadway Blvd. That's where those nice bungalows are. And that's a very old map, 1915.

NenaE,

(Remember me from the "Meadowbrook Arches" thread?)

You are blowing my mind with your "finds"! Before we lived in Meadowbrook, we lived in Park Place, in the Park Terrace subdivision, on Concord street. A fantastic place to live/play and grow into pre-teens. I was born in '57, and lived on Concord until '66. Then off to nearby Meadowbrook!

That whole area, Park Place, East End, to Palm Center, Gulfgate, Hobby Airport, Telephone Rd. was my stomping ground.

I went to St. Christopher grade school (gr 1-8), 1 year to Deady Jr. High in '71 (gr 9), then to Mt. Carmel (gr 10-12). That 1 yr. at Deady was "interesting"... :)

-Gary K

go rebs!

Here is some text from a different thread about some of my recollections of growing up in PP and close-by areas:

Born in Houston in '57 (original St. Joseph's bldg. Maternity Ward downtown), I grew up in the Gulf Frwy & Park Place area.

Random remembrances of growing up in early-to-mid 1960s in this area:

Palm Center for JC Penny, Playhouse Toys (yah!), and Walter Pyes

Globe dept. store at Gulfgate was Wal-Mart of its time (?)

Of course, original Gulfgate Mall. My dad used Gulfgate State (?) bank. Dad would take me to One's a Meal and we would sit at the counter and drink a Coke (from a Coke glass with ice). Loved looking in the hobby shop (can't recall its name), bought Este's rocket stuff there eventually. I can vaguely recall Gulfgate before it was enclosed and A/Ced.

Groceries came from Mucasey's (Lucky-7?) grocery on Broadway just north of I-45 (everyone knew Mr. Mucasey), and Weingartens on Park Place just south of I-45

Drugs/prescriptions from Lang's, next to Weingartens

Burgers/Fries/Drinks from the Chuck Wagon (window service only!) also on Broadway close to Mucasey's

Soft-serve ice cream from Tasty Freeze (?) just next door to the Chuck Wagon

Elvis and Disney Movies at the Santa Rosa (Telephone Rd.) and the Broadway (Broadway).

For birthday parties, Peppermint Park (Gulf Frwy by Gulfgate) and occasionally Kiterik (ch. 13).

Was member and attended Park Place YMCA

Church and School at St. Christopher Catholic on Park Place

Playing at Charlton Park next to St. Christopher

I remember the Drive-In (movie) and Frito Lay factory (class field trip) in the Gulfgate area

The Houston Zoo, riding the miniature train at Hermann Park, and the giant locomotive on display there

I remember Astrodome/Astroworld when new and exciting!

I remember a time before loop 610 existed. We went through downtown to get to the Med. Center/dome area.

-Gary K

• 2 weeks later...
Here is some text from a different thread about some of my recollections of growing up in PP and close-by areas:

-Gary K

I remember Peppermint Park off of 610. I always wanted to go there when I was a kid. As an adult, after I got married, I found out that my brother-in-law had worked at Playhouse Toys, and later, I worked with the owner's daughter, Kay. I grew up on the street where Kiterick lived. She was very nice and I remember going to her house on Halloween. I remember watching - the show was live - and there was a little boy that was laughing and I can't remember if it was Kiterick or Skipper that asked him what he was laughing so hard about. He replied, "Leroy farted". And the camera went crazy, like they didn't know what to do. Funniest thing I ever saw on a kid's show.

My next door neighbor was friends with Don Mahoney's daughter when she was a teenager, and she visited quite often. Houston seemed so much smaller then. We lived on Potomac between San Felipe (pronounced San Fillipy, not San Fell e pay) - we were not that pretentious- and Woodway. Not quite Tanglewood, and not quite Briargrove. We were like the red-headed stepchild. It was called Westhaven Estates, and until 1978, it had big ditches on either side and and an asphalt road-and homes go for about $600k plus there now.- this is the same street that the Houston Country Club is on. I remember we could leave our bikes on the front porch - (we NEVER kept them in the garage) and we never once had any problems with having them stolen. Unbelieveable now.

Does anyone remember Sonny Look's restaurant? Is was where The Palm restaurant is now on Westheimer, next to Bering's. At night they had some poor guy in full knight's armor (no kidding!!) come out on Westheimer (where Greenridge is now) on a white horse into the middle of the road to attract diners. The horse wore blinders, like they did during jousting. What memories !

• 1 month later...

I have noticed this house over in Park Place before. I always thought it held a lot of potential. I just saw it on HAR, for $57,000. It's a mess, but restored it could be a really nice Arts & Crafts bungalow. The area isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either. It has the old masonry style porch base you sometimes see on homes of that era, and what appears to be the original beadboard in the bath area. the trimwork in the living areas looks good, although the pictures are very limited. For someone starting out this one might have a lot of potential, depending on what all it needs.

HAR link

I think there is a huge plantation style bed and breakfast in the immediate area.

I found it about two months ago. Apparently Park Place has some hidden gems I haven't run across yet, too: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry216022

This is the only thread where HAIF has mentioned it, to date, but the link is http://www.hiddenoaksbnb.com/history.htm

Park Place has some really nice bungalows, that one above (post 1) has some really nice details. Don't remember my GGrand's having that much boardwork, inside panels. The park nearby (other side of frwy) is nice, borders one side of a small part of the nabe, south of it is the Glenbrook Golf Course. To the north, across Broadway Blvd. there are some very nice bungalows, and other hidden gems, as well. That plantation home can be found closer to where Reveille meets Bellfort, north of Glenbrook Valley. Never knew of it, growing up. What a surprise. I think it was a Sims (or Simms) house & land, at one time.

The HAR bungalow sits the west side of the frwy. Park Place is split by the the Gulf Frwy, consists of several sections.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for sharing your great memories of Park Place, my favorite neighborhood ever but especially as a child growing up there in the 1950's! I lived directly across the street from Charlton Park, behind St. Christopher's Catholic Church. Where else could a kid have everything they wanted within walking distance? Charlton Park provided endless adventures with its hills, weaving concrete bicycle trails, the bayou for rafting down to the Glenbrook Golf Course to collect golf balls and walk across their wonderful suspension brides that swayed in the breeze, Charlton's old clubhouse which offered unlimited activities for kids including crafts, dancing lessons, Brownie meetings, musical entertainment on Saturdays for kids by an elderly woman who would gather the kids round the piano and sing old favorites like "The Yellow Rose of Texas" and "Oh, Susanna", talent shows and where a kid could check out any board game or piece of sports equipment for a couple of hours. You could earn a few coins by offering to chase the tennis balls that inevitably flew over the fence on the park's tennis courts. And if no one was playing tennis, the red clay courts were a great place to skate.

I remember old Mr. Mucasey from Mucasey's Lucky 7 Grocery Store on the corner of Park Place Blvd. & Broadway. He would often give kids a piece of penny candy. And I remember the "old" white Lang's Drug Store on Broadway with its soda fountain and Mr. Lang, a partially balding man with black hair, a mustache and a friendly manner. You could catch the bus on the corner of Lang's and Barnett's Grocery and travel to downtown Houston. On these bus trips, I was always fascinated watching the draw bridge stop traffic to allow a ship to pass through.

Was The Variety Store on Broadway by the post office still there in the 60's? It was similar to a 5 and 10, and a kid with a dollar had unlimited purchasing power. The public library on Park Place Blvd. adjacent from St. Christopher's was one of my favorite haunts. A kid by himself could check out as many books as he could carry home. Sometimes, the library had a magic show on Saturdays. One time the magician gave me an invisible egg which I carefully guarded all the way home.

You probably remember St. Christopher's Catholic Church and its incredible bazaars in the big lot behind the church facing Lynn St. They had cakewalks, raffles, games and other fun activities. One time I won a lovely Madame Alexander bride doll with a big "diamond" ring on her finger and another time a beautiful cake. A kid with a few coins could always count on winning something! Park Place Elementary held an annual Halloween Carnival at night. They usually had a spookhouse in the old main building. I remember I was about 7 years old, it was very dark as I entered the spook house, and some unknown ghoulie with ice cold hands grabbed my bare ankles. Scary!

Like you, I have fond memories of the Tastee Freeze and their chocolate dipped cones, the Chuck Wagon where you stood outside to wait until they blared your order was ready over the loudspeaker, the Winkler Drive-In, Playhouse Toy Store, the Santa Rosa Theater with kiddie shows on Saturday and Broadway Theater where I first saw Godzilla, the rides at Peppermint Park, all that good stuff memories are made of.

Park Place was truly a magical place, a child's dream come true!

• 1 year later...

Alpine Brauhaus Restaurant on Telephone. I remember eating there at 3 years old (1973-ish) with our German Great Grandmother. We lived within walking distance.

And I had my graduation dinner at their Webster location in 1995.

I also remember the pony rides.

My family bolted for the burbs in 1975 to avoid my staring kindergarten in HISD. I would have gone to the elementary that was/is on Joplin.

Likely the elementary school was Park Place Elementary.

It's not actually on Joplin, the address is on Park Place, however, the school has a large frontage on Joplin.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to sell my parents home on River Drive in Park Place. HCFCD ( flood control) owns part of the land of the house it's on and that's called an encroachment. We pay them rent for the land and I guess that part of the house every year. So before I try to go salad I approach them first I asked him if they'd like to buy the whole parcel of land 1.12 acres and the house. They say no. Then I get a second survey because they wanted the first survey to see what I own so I got a second survey to see what they owned and asked if I could buy them out. Again - no. So the house has been on the market since April and we've had no serious offers. We I have been trying to have it appraised and can't find anyone willing to do so after they hear what the situation is. I need somebody who is removed from the situation to think outside the box for me. This is 1.12 acres of land right off the freeway and they have could be remodeled and be in coaching parts demolished and it was to be a nice house although it would be 2 bedroom 1 bath. My realtor has about giving up any is ready to be released me from the contract all I have to do is givie him the word. I thank I had a price too low which is why I need to get an appraisal but again can't find an appraiser. If there are a lot of typos in this please forgive me I am using my voice recognition software on my Android phone otherwise this would have taken me a year. Thanks for reading and if anyone has any ideas I'll listen to anything thanks a bunch.

• 7 years later...

I'm looking for a map of Park Place Town, which was a town independent of Houston, prior to 1927, when it was annexed by Houston.

I'm working on a genealogy project for 1920.  I have addresses for folks who lived in Park Place Town in 1919-1921.  I need to know the names of the same streets today, so that I may plot them on a current 2020 map.

I found a Harris County plat map from 1913 that show the numbered streets, so I can map those to current.  They are east-west streets:

10th St in 1920 is now Detroit St.

9th St is now Easton St.

8th St is now Findlay St.

7th St. is now Grafton St.

6th St. is now Hartford St.

5th St. is now Ithaca St.

4th St. is now Joplin St.

I noticed someone else posted the names of the streets are in alphabetical order and I found that interesting, too.

The north-south streets:

Broadway Blvd. became Broadway St.

Western St. is now Berkley St.

Colorado St. is now Dover St.

I'm missing:

California St. is now ?? What?

Oregon St. is now ?? What?

Park Place Blvd. is still that, Park Place Blvd.

The 1915 topographic map someone posted is such a wonderful map !!! But it has so few street names on it

Also, the 1920 census enumerator listed the people and the street names but with no house numbers.  Egad.  why would he omit the house numbers.

The 1920-21 and 1924 City Directory sometimes has a listing for these people, but all it says is they live in Park Place.  No address.  It was outside the city of Houston at that time.

If anyone has any ideas for me, I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Mary Hollis

Hi Mary,

Oregon is now Colgate

California is now Erie

Park Place has always been Park Place as far as I know.

others:

1st was changed to Newburn and is now Dixie

2nd is now Moline

3rd is now Kingsley

Oklahoma is now Gulf

Alabama is now Hastings

Georgia is now Jennings

Webster is now the Southbound Gulf Freeway

Stone is now the Northbound Gulf Freeway

(Stone and Webster built the Interurban - It was also Winkler before the Freeway was built)

I think that's all the streets in Park Place proper.   Hope this helps. 

• The title was changed to Park Place Home Sale Woes - All Ideas Welcomed!
  • The title was changed to Park Place Real Estate

Archived