The Big Mamou Restaurant At 903 Studewood St.

heights_yankee

I know we chatted about this restaurant in one of these threads previously and intended on bumping that one, but couldn't find it.

Any wise souls on here have news on this establishment? I am guessing it is a no-go at this point, but wondering why and if there are any future plans for the location.

Thanks, HAIFers.

• 2 years later...

Finally got around to making it the Big Mamou and VERY impressed. My friend had many questions about the wine, Brenda (Chef/Owner) came to the table with tastings and discussed the wine selections. We talked about the menu and dinner specials. My friend got the delicious short ribs (which is not very cajun) and they were EXCELLENT and i got Shrimp Creole which was PERFECT.

Found out they also serve breakfast on Saturday and Sunday which sounds marvelous.

Give is a try!

Finally got around to making it the Big Mamou and VERY impressed. My friend had many questions about the wine, Brenda (Chef/Owner) came to the table with tastings and discussed the wine selections. We talked about the menu and dinner specials. My friend got the delicious short ribs (which is not very cajun) and they were EXCELLENT and i got Shrimp Creole which was PERFECT.

Found out they also serve breakfast on Saturday and Sunday which sounds marvelous.

Give is a try!

I like the place and the people are definitely friendly, but at the same time, for what one gets do not feel the food is worth the price. I hope they reduce their prices and in the long run get more customers and eventually do even better.

Give is a try!

Good to hear that you had a good experience. I was hoping to eat some Louisiana food friday night and I still do not even consider the mamou after my two attempts eating there after they first opened. I may try their beignets one weekend but maybe they have improved since openening.

Give is a try!

It's in the Heights (bad sign), is a Cajun place that serves wine, is planning on hosting cooking lessons, offers "Pan-Asian" catering services, and will host a special Easter brunch; therefore it is most likely tainted by The Great White Culinary Plague, a voracious strain of suckage that affects WASPy communities in denial of their cultural identity and that lack taste buds.

• Like 3

It's in the Heights (bad sign), is a Cajun place that serves wine, is planning on hosting cooking lessons, offers "Pan-Asian" catering services, and will host a special Easter brunch; therefore it is most likely tainted by The Great White Culinary Plague, a voracious strain of suckage that affects WASPy communities in denial of their cultural identity and that lack taste buds.

I have been here several times but not recently. The food is OK but is priced too high. If the food was outstanding or the prices were lower, I would frequent it more regularly.

Edited by Heights CPA

Dinner is good, breakfast is very good. Prices are a bit high, but you can skimp on the tip if you get counter service.

If you want true Cajun food, go to New Orleans. People in Houston have grown tired of the endless debate over whether this or that Cajun restaurant is authentic. I office with a guy who was lived in the 9th ward all his life, until the storm and another guy who grew up in Metarie in the 1950s. Both claim to know true Cajun. Yet the guy from Metarie likes the gumbo at Joe's crab shack and the guy from the 9th ward spends every lunch hour looking for good Chinese sweet and sour chicken.

Big Mamou is a nice addition to the Heights. Give it a try.

+1, for just making me spit up coke.

And no, not the powdery kind.

• Like 1

Dinner is good, breakfast is very good. Prices are a bit high, but you can skimp on the tip if you get counter service.

If you want true Cajun food, go to New Orleans. People in Houston have grown tired of the endless debate over whether this or that Cajun restaurant is authentic. I office with a guy who was lived in the 9th ward all his life, until the storm and another guy who grew up in Metarie in the 1950s. Both claim to know true Cajun. Yet the guy from Metarie likes the gumbo at Joe's crab shack and the guy from the 9th ward spends every lunch hour looking for good Chinese sweet and sour chicken.

Big Mamou is a nice addition to the Heights. Give it a try.

The Cajun food is much improved since Katrina. As tragic as that storm was, and with the turmoil that resulted with it, it surely did improve the Cajun restaurants around town.

I do like the place as well. The owner/cook is from Louisiana so it is 'authentic' Louisiana cooking. What I think people may be getting confused over is that this is not cajun cooking. Its creole. Creole cooking uses more of a tomato base so things like jambalaya have a heavier tomato taste than cajun jambalaya which is mostly spices and seasonings. I prefer cajun over creole, but regardless do enjoy the food here.

"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.” ~ John N. Mitchell

• Like 1

Just for reference, what residential area in Houston has better restaurants than the Heights?

My recommendation is Calliope's at 2130 Jefferson

Big Mamou is ok now and again, but I secon Calliope's. Better food, more of it, and for less $.

Mardi Gras Grill is also good stuff. Cajun comes in many different forms, all of it can be good.

• Like 1

"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.” ~ John N. Mitchell

"The glass is neither half full nor half empty. Rather, I am observing a 100 ml glass Erlenmeyer flask with precisely 50.01 ml of water, however only provided standard temperature and barometric pressure at 0 °C and 101.325 kPa, respectively, and an atmosphere saturated with moisture. The observation is of a closed system. The temperature and pressure each vary within a predictable range, however it is statistically undeniable that the water will at some point freeze, the volume expanding to such an extent that the container is shattered." ~ TheNiche

Calliopes is awesome. True New Orleans Poboys.

Big Mamou owners are from North/Central Louisiana which is a totally different planet than South Louisiana.

I've ate at several "true cajun" places all over Louisiana. Some were good, some were bad.

In my opinion, the Creole seasonings where they have a solid kick mixed with proper French/Southern style cooking are what makes the best "cajun" food. I've yet to find anywhere in Houston with what I'd call great gumbo or etoufee. I haven't been everywhere yet though.

Big Mamou is ok now and again, but I secon Calliope's. Better food, more of it, and for less $.

Mardi Gras Grill is also good stuff. Cajun comes in many different forms, all of it can be good.

Agreed. It is hard to justify the half mile trek to Mamou, when only 1.9 miles further is Mardi Gras, one of the best in town.

I like Big Mamou. Prices are a bit to high side depending on what you order, but for my usual red beans and rice with salad, not too bad. My main gripe is inconsistency. Whether dining in or picking up to go, the "presentation" seems to vary. Their hours also seem to highly variable, I guess if they're not busy they close. I walked in one night at 8:05 and they had already closed the kitchen. Still, I hope they survive.

Calliopes is awesome. True New Orleans Poboys.

In my opinion, the Creole seasonings where they have a solid kick mixed with proper French/Southern style cooking are what makes the best "cajun" food. I've yet to find anywhere in Houston with what I'd call great gumbo or etoufee. I haven't been everywhere yet though.

I know gumbo and Danton's Seafood has pretty solid gumbo.

I know gumbo and Danton's Seafood has pretty solid gumbo.

Thanks for the suggestion, it has been added to my queue of "Must eat here soon" list. One of my other requirements for great Gumbo is it has to be affordable, and Danton's looks to be in the $10 range for a bowl of seafood gumbo, which I consider a fair price. How is the rest of the food there?

• The title was changed to The Big Mamou Restaurant At 903 Studewood St.
  • 9 months later...

Gary Mosley recently acquired 903 Studewood St. Earlier this week, a warranty deed for the property was recorded to the county clerk's database.

Currently, 903 Studewood St hot dog eatery Good Dog Houston is leasing the space. Prior to Good Dog Houston, The Big Mamou operated there. The owners of Big Mamou also owned the property until recently.

I don't know what the sale means for Good Dog Houston. It's possible this could be another investment property for Mosely. 

Mosely is also behind The Creek Group. The hospitality group's dining portfolio includes Onion Creek, Cedar Creek, Canyon Creek, Cactus Cove, Piggy's, and Queen's BBQ.

• Thanks 1