Bellagreen At 748 E. 11th St.

heights_yankee

Well, it turns out that Archie (the former owner) has been in Asia somewhere for the last couple of years. He was back in town a few weeks back, but said he was going back to whatever country he was hanging out in. He claimed that he had the stores (11th Street, Sports Lounge, Prive) being taken care of, but we all know that has not been the case. So this sounds like he may have sold the place, or at a minimum worked a deal with someone to run it for a cut of the profits.

Well, it turns out that Archie (the former owner) has been in Asia somewhere for the last couple of years. He was back in town a few weeks back, but said he was going back to whatever country he was hanging out in. He claimed that he had the stores (11th Street, Sports Lounge, Prive) being taken care of, but we all know that has not been the case. So this sounds like he may have sold the place, or at a minimum worked a deal with someone to run it for a cut of the profits.

Isn't Prive and Heights Sports Lounge closed? Both look like they've been abandoned.

If 11th Street is under new management, has the menu changed? I'd love to see something that isn't fried or full of grease on the menu. Also, the place could use a little TLC inside. There's so much potential with that location!

Isn't Prive and Heights Sports Lounge closed? Both look like they've been abandoned.

If 11th Street is under new management, has the menu changed? I'd love to see something that isn't fried or full of grease on the menu. Also, the place could use a little TLC inside. There's so much potential with that location!

i don't mind a good greasy sppon (esp after too much good wine the night before) but i can do without the maple syrup containers that are so old the labels are half faded and peeling.

you're right. tons of potential.

I have always loved the location and the feel of this place, but it has never ever lived up to its potential to be a neighborhood favorite. Hopefully, the new owners will bring some consistency to the food served. I would love a good greasy spoon, accent on "good."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We ate here last night, wanted to try the pizza. It wasn't great. Next time we'll get something different. We like the breakfast there, just haven't been for dinner before. The service was great, maybe because no one else was there at 6pm. Works for us, that way it's easier to let the little one jump around in the booth and not ruin the urbanites' dinner experience.

We ate here last night, wanted to try the pizza. It wasn't great. Next time we'll get something different. We like the breakfast there, just haven't been for dinner before. The service was great, maybe because no one else was there at 6pm. Works for us, that way it's easier to let the little one jump around in the booth and not ruin the urbanites' dinner experience.

try the turkey melt. not healthy at all, but its the tastiest thing on the menu imo

Wife saw Archie himself hanging the "New" Ownership sign a week or so back.

stinker

try the turkey melt. not healthy at all, but its the tastiest thing on the menu imo

stinker

Ive wanted that place to be good for so long. It has a great location, but I have never had anything there that was even half decent. I have not had breakfast there, but after 3 different trips and 3 different entrees, unless they stop doing things the way they are that place is off the rotation.

I like to eat at the reasonably priced non-pretentious places, and this place is perfect but for the price Im going to hit any of the creeks for a much better meal.

• 2 years later...

Looks like it wont be "ruggles" for much longer....not that it was any good but might explain why it was so bad.

The new concepts come as Molzan says he's having the Ruggles name removed from the Ruggles 11th Street Cafe. "I'm real particular about quality," when it comes to licensing use of the Ruggles name, he says.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-05-11-09-48-waiter-walkouts-and-real-estate-rumors-are-there-troubles-at-ruggles-grill/

I never tried the ruggles on 11th....my wife did and she said it was terrible...just as bad as when it was 11th st. cafe, which I found to be terrible, so I never went. I wont miss the place. It has so much potential to be a nice neighborhood place, but sadly it just continues to be terrible.

Weird set up. Ruggles in name only? I can understand wanting to have different restaurants incorporated as separate entities to protect against liabilities. But the Ruggles Green website has a big disclaimer about the Ruggles name, saying that Ruggles Green is in no way associated with Ruggles Grill except for the use of the Ruggles name. Why not do a Ruggles Restaurant Group and stand behind the name while keeping the entities separate? People certainly think there is an association.

And I always thought the 11th St was an odd location for a Ruggles (whatever a Ruggles really is). Too small for a restaurant looking to serve that kind of food. Always seemed like the kitchen was too small to keep up with that kind of menu. Or it could be that management was treating everyone like crap.

I was out protesting in front of Ruggles Grill last night. Bruce Molzan owed his employees thousands of dollars and had been dragging his feet on the paychecks for at least six months. This isn't just their $2.13 an hour, but their actual credit card tips that they earned. He was over $4000 behind for one woman's pay.

Ruggles Green is currently suing Molzan. According to an employee I spoke with, Ruggles Green says Molzan stole a bunch of money from them.

Ruggles 11th Street Cafe, Molzan has been trying to back the Ruggles name out of, because he says the food wasn't up to quality. They've probably expedited that now that Molzan is getting all this press about stealing from his employees.

Ruggles Cafe Bakery is a fourth separate restaurant. This is run by Molzan's ex-wife, Susan. Molzan was allegedly cheating on her with the hostess at Ruggles Grill, who he later married.

Molzan is no stranger to legal troubles. A lawsuit was filed by WB Music and several other music studios in 2007, because Ruggles Grill was playing music without paying royalties. When the studios demanded the royalties, Ruggles Grill ignored the letters. The judge found in the studios' favor for $65,000 in 2009. Molzan was also sued for $406,000 in 2004 by Sysco. I think that case was settled, and Sysco still supplies him.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a local restaurant owner last night whose eatery is very near the 11th street location. If his story is true, supposedly the deal was on shaky ground from the get-go. Restaurant was pretty much lent the Ruggles name only. And now, Ruggles and 11th St. have apparently parted ways. Ruggles has been deleted from the side of the building and all the signage. I went a few times when it was "Ruggles", and although the food was pretty good, some of the staff and the service was piss-poor. Now that it's back to plain 'ol 11th Street Cafe, I don't see it lasting much longer. It sucked before, and it sucks still. There's too much activity going on in the Heights right now. Hoping something better will come take its place.

• 3 weeks later...

11th Street Cafe was the first restaraunt in the Heights we visited back when we were house hunting in 1992. Pat Nunn was the long-time owner at that time, and she had run it as a BBQ joint long before I arrived and converted to Cafe. Archie bought the business and property maybe six years ago and like the rest of his ventures, couldn't make it last.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues. Looks like Ruggles Green is taking over the place and will give it another in the series of makeovers. Great news if it happens.

Ruggles Green to re-open 11th Street Cafe

I wonder if the ruggles folks realize that the nuance between Ruggles and Ruggles green having different owners is really lost on most consumers.