Well, the way I see it, they are just creating "new" neighborhoods that are susceptible to suburban decay, and to get this comment back on subject and suburban sprawl type shopping center is not adding value to the neighborhood and only reverves all the good things developers have done in the area.

I hope cinema users flood the parking lots.

What is a good development in the area?

I used to live in that area and was really looking forward to seeing a well planned development take shape. What an utter disgrace this is going to be!!! At the least Costco could develop a store in lines with the new Costco in Vancouver, B.C. (i.e., parking garage or underground parking with more retail and residential where the planned parking lot will be). Why can't this city get some decent "urban" projects?? It amazes me... This is "highest and best use?" BS

You know, I don't think a costco would have been the smartest thing to put in that area.

The demographics don't quite jibe. Most residences that would buy in bulk are those with a substantial room in a single family homes. Those living in a townhome, apartment, or condo doesn't have enough space to buy a lot of things in bulk.

while there are many single family homes in the area, I wouldn't imagine there would be enough to support it.

You know, I don't think a costco would have been the smartest thing to put in that area.

The demographics don't quite jibe. Most residences that would buy in bulk are those with a substantial room in a single family homes. Those living in a townhome, apartment, or condo doesn't have enough space to buy a lot of things in bulk.

while there are many single family homes in the area, I wouldn't imagine there would be enough to support it.

I've got to differ with you on this. I think that it is an excellent place for a Costco and have no doubt that they'll do good business. They'll draw from Bellaire/West U, Montrose, Galleria area, etc. Great demographics. I'm just frustrated by the implementation.

I must disagree. there's lots of single family homes in the area and lots of support for businesses in the area.

There ARE plenty of single family homes, but you also have to remember it's the single family home that will generally buy in bulk because they have the storage to hold excess supplies there.

As far as supporting the other businesses in the area, I am in agreement with you, but the other but the other business aren't really in direct competition with Costco.

Matthew.Keener@cbre.com

I guess this is the best contact to voice displeasure? Remember, he's just been hired to lease the building.

Seems like it. Poor guy.

Hopefully he'll provide a more suitable contact. It might also be productive to find the Costco corporate contact information. In fact, I'll bet that they're really the critical player in all of this.

Houston developers and city planners are a bunch of morons! <_<

Actually, most are very smart.

They can get away with starting with a new 'urban' design, then end up with a strip center...

I think of it like playing Sim City. - A Sim City that is 600 square miles, of endless land, that is up for grabs.

Seems like it. Poor guy.

Oh, wait. Never mind. Trammell Crow (now owned by CB Richard Ellis) is the developer of the retail component as well as the leasing agent. They are indeed the enemy. The apartment developer is The Morgan Group. They may also hold some sway, since they got their site stuck behind a Costco, part of it seperated from Richmond by a loading dock along a two-lane street.

And evidently, none of this would've happened if Costco hadn't swooped in with some big bucks. So they're the lynchpin. Hit them hard and frequently enough with bad PR, and they'll stand the best chance of capitulating and reopening the matter.

My source indicates that the following is hearsay, but for what it is worth: "Costco wanted a site in this part of town really badly. They tried to get a freeway property but none was available, at least on terms they were willing to meet. They showed up at TC/MG's doorstep with a wad of cash (or promise of a lucrative long term lease) and it made their project planning very simple."

Edited by TheNiche

There ARE plenty of single family homes, but you also have to remember it's the single family home that will generally buy in bulk because they have the storage to hold excess supplies there.

As far as supporting the other businesses in the area, I am in agreement with you, but the other but the other business aren't really in direct competition with Costco.

i know that is why costco will do well. there's money to be spent.

Edited by musicman

Wow. What a total disappointment.

This is PRIME real estate. In the general vicinity, we're seeing massive redevelopment proposals because land is becoming so expensive in the area like;

High Street for the old Ford Dealership

BLVD Place to replace the Fashion Square strip mall

The Cosmopolitan to replace a James Coney Island Drive-Thru

A massive mixed-used apartment complex to replace a gas station and tennis courts

the Metropole right down the block on Richmond (revamping an old office tower and surface lots with apartments and garages)

Oh well, for every one of the above, there seem to be 5-10 of these glorified strip malls/pod site developments. The "market" wins again...

This is a major disappointment.

Historically, I always really liked the old HISD building. It was architecturally interesting, if not significant, and commanded its site well.

When I heard of this redevelopment I was initially disappointed, but was hopeful that something much better was to come for this high profile site

The current news is extremely disappointing.

Costco will likely be good for the Inner Loop residents, but why not build central parking garages instead of surface lots, or at least place the Costco building at the street front with internal parking lots?

Ultimately, the biggest question may be: How could the city let this happen to such a high profile site in a prime location?

To be fair, I assume that the City of Houston did what it could within its bounds and powers; although, the lack of Zoning or a significant plan prevent the City from blocking this or any similar development within the city. What prevents a similar situation anywhere else within the city limits?

To avoid these situations in the future, the City of Houston will probably need to have more powerful controls to direct desired development - and plan for its future.

In the meantime, Houstonians will be able to enjoy their Costco discounts (especially the wine, which I understand is a great bargain!)

See Ricco, I think we have our first Costco customer!

But as the area becomes increases (like some users on here) in density, quite the ones living in the lofts, apartments and condos won't be shopping there. At least, not unless they're hosting a party and such.

Besides, Costco may offer price, but Spec's offers variety. :)

wow, what a shame. this is to be expected outside the loop but to build this cheesy bigbox crap inside the loop is a waste.

besides, costco sucks; they told me to leave when they asked to see my membership card which i didn't have.

i feel that collective sinking feeling.

i guess this is good for the "membership club" type folk, though

and i thought the HISD building was great - at least it was different

an aside: i just noticed on the costco website that they sell caskets!

4ierqz8.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

Oh well, for every one of the above, there seem to be 5-10 of these glorified strip malls/pod site developments. The "market" wins again...

Up until you made this statement, I was going to agree with you (perhaps for the first time ever). The market didn't win. It left money on the table. This is why it is up to people with some common sense to let the market know that it still has the opportunity to correct itself.

Costco will likely be good for the Inner Loop residents, but why not build central parking garages instead of surface lots, or at least place the Costco building at the street front with internal parking lots?

Precisely! That land is too expensive to be allocated for open parking lots. There is a higher and better use that is not being realized.

What prevents a similar situation anywhere else within the city limits?

To avoid these situations in the future, the City of Houston will probably need to have more powerful controls to direct desired development - and plan for its future.

The City of Houston is both helped and hindered by the fact that it is so geographically large. On the one hand, it gets a tax base that is strong and diverse. Even if one neighborhood goes downhill, another elsewhere can appreciate so as to make up for the loss. Most central cities, including Dallas as one example, don't have that luxury and are more financially constrained.

But when it comes to urban planning, that means that what is appropriate for one place in the City is not necessarily appropriate for another place. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. Perhaps in the suburbs, it would be our preference that a Costco be designed like this. In fact, out there, having an LA Fitness on top of the Costco and a small two-story retail center like the one in the sketch would probably be a very welcomed neighborhood amenity. But at this location, it is not adequate. That needs to be made clear to the developer and the anchor tenant...the ones shooting themselves in the foot.