Whole Foods Market At 515 Elgin St.

Downtowner

I don't think getting a Whold Foods in Midtown is realistic for at least another couple of years as more development ensues. But I think it's possible long-term, especially along one of the major downtown-midtown roads like Fannin, as it could get a lot of rush hour traffic plus pedestrian traffic from the rail and area residents. The problem might be the lack of business during the weekend.

Also, I've noticed the quality at Midtown Randalls has increased quite a bit lately. Their fresh bakery breads are awesome, and they started carrying a lot of house-brand organic products. They still need to offer more organic produce however.

Yeah, barracuda is on the mark. Midtown lacks the necessary residential population density. I've been in the Randall's a few times and it looks pretty barren. Perhaps its just that they sell lower quality products at higher prices, but its already-low sales volume would probably just serve to scare off other grocers. Why compete in a market that's already beyond the saturation point? Even if you're in a slightly different product class, its still difficult. Also bear in mind that areas like their Alabama location draw from all the wealthiest neighborhoods in a 3 to 5 mile radius. In Midtown, 3 miles takes you into 3rd Ward and 5 miles might take you into the east end, 5th Ward, and Near Northside areas. Few Whole Foods shoppers there. Also remember that even though the downtown population is increasing in number, a very large segment is made up of convicts in the county jail. Few Whole Foods shoppers there.

Also factor in that grocery stores have a razor-thin profit margin. This isn't the kind of thing where you plop down several hundred condos, and if they don't sell as quickly as you thought, then you divest the remainder to vulture investors and take a slight hit. Grocery stores are frequently proprietary and are hard to get rid of if you've got to vacate and sell them. So you'd have to be really certain that the market exists before you dive in. Midtown's going to take a while and may see another few CVS's before it sees something substantial. The best we can hope for is that a set of small specialty food shops can pick up the slack with quality goods, though I'd expect the prices to be ridiculously high.

So far as produce goes, I've found that Spec's often has better prices, selection and quality than Randall's.

If Spec's started carrying meat and cat food, I'd probably skip going to Randall's altogether.

Shhhhhh....that was my secret! Spec's produce is the best and no more expensive-sometimes cheaper that Randalls and Kroger. You can make a killer salad that tastes like you just picked it out of the garden!

BTW, that Whole Foods on Voss isn't going anywhere. It's a cash cow for them.

B)

Whole Foods needs to get off there high horse. I friend of mine asked for Sweet & Low and some razors. They didn't sell either because the Sweet & Low was not natural, and "they" test razors on animals.

Save the world Whole Foods!!!

I think I know her! ...kinda fat? hairy legs? :rolleyes:

Whole Foods needs to get off there high horse. I friend of mine asked for Sweet & Low and some razors. They didn't sell either because the Sweet & Low was not natural, and "they" test razors on animals.

Save the world Whole Foods!!!

That's the point of Whole Foods. People shop there to buy healthy natural, healthy products. I would bet that most WF shoppers do use razors, they just buy them somewhere else.

they should build one of those neighboorhood walmarts. stuff is cheaper there. And at least they sell razors there

If Spec's started carrying meat and cat food, I'd probably skip going to Randall's altogether.

that one got me :lol:

Edited by zaphod

Shhhhhh....that was my secret! Spec's produce is the best and no more expensive-sometimes cheaper that Randalls and Kroger. You can make a killer salad that tastes like you just picked it out of the garden!

BTW, that Whole Foods on Voss isn't going anywhere. It's a cash cow for them.

B)

You are so right! If any of you have not done your produce shopping at Spec's, do so the next time you're there picking up your rum and vodka. The prices are usually lower, and the selection is of higher quality. I was shocked when I found this out -- by accident. Check it out next time you're there.

• 3 weeks later...
Ironically, however, most Whole Food shoppers arrive at the store by driving their gigantic SUV's with a disposable-diaper clad baby in tow. I just love their shoppers hypocritical "be green" philosphy....

Eating healthy organic foods isn't a direct correlation with "being green."

And, for that matter, how can you really rationalize being judgemental for using disposable diapers. I don't care what it does to the environment, I am not washing my infants soiled diapers in my sink...that's what separates us from a third world country.

Guest danax

And, for that matter, how can you really rationalize being judgemental for using disposable diapers. I don't care what it does to the environment, I am not washing my infants soiled diapers in my sink...that's what separates us from a third world country.

I think they sell some sort of biodegradable disposable diapers there so a few of those shoppers might actually be helping the environment by fertilizing the landfill, I suppose.

With 2727 Kirby hopefully opening in the near future, that Kirby store might hit a critical mass in terms of customers where a new location would be warranted, and I would think it would be somewhere east of there.

Disposable diapers, along with disposable plates, disposable cleaning supplies (Swiffers) and other disposables, are hugely taxing on landfills. I'm not sure why you would wash soiled diapers in your sink, since most people would put them in the washer and dryer, but that is not the separation from third world countries...indoor plumbing would be.

"Being green" is not always easy. In fact, the whole reason disposables have become such a problem is that it is so easy to throw things away versus reusing them. But, their attraction to those who wish to save time does not diminish their harmfulness to the environment.

Side note: My mom raised 7 kids on cloth diapers. Not sure how she did it, but she is clearly my hero. I think of her and my dad with their 7 kids and one car often when I hear arguments about how things can't be done with less.

Edited by RedScare

Disposable diapers, along with disposable plates, disposable cleaning supplies (Swiffers) and other disposables, are hugely taxing on landfills. I'm not sure why you would wash soiled diapers in your sink, since most people would put them in the washer and dryer, but that is not the separation from third world countries...indoor plumbing would be.

"Being green" is not always easy. In fact, the whole reason disposables have become such a problem is that it is so easy to throw things away versus reusing them. But, their attraction to those who wish to save time does not diminish their harmfulness to the environment.

Side note: My mom raised 7 kids on cloth diapers. Not sure how she did it, but she is clearly my hero. I think of her and my dad with their 7 kids and one car often when I hear arguments about how things can't be done with less.

you'd put a diaper loaded with cr@p in your washer? nice...

and the diaper piece wasn't even the point anyway. it was the point that "being green" is not why people shop at whole foods (or at least not a majority). it is for more healthy, organic foods.

Edited by RayLSU

you'd put a diaper loaded with cr@p in your washer? nice...

and the diaper piece wasn't even the point anyway. it was the point that "being green" is not why people shop at whole foods (or at least not a majority). it is for more healthy, organic foods.

That's kind of what the washer is for. Without digressing into a debate on the intricacies of washing clothes, the diapers are washed separately from the other clothing, similar to the way one separates towels from delicates.

And, you are right, the diaper piece was not the point. I agree that there is a difference between organics and 'green'. I only responded to your 2nd paragraph. I agreed with your first.

And while we are on the subject of Whole Foods (which. BTW, I enjoy shopping at, but also recognize that it can't truly be as pure as it markets itself).

Is Whole Foods Wholesome?

The dark secrets of the organic-food movement.

By Field Maloney

Posted Friday, March 17, 2006, at 1:34 PM ET

It's hard to find fault with Whole Foods, the haute-crunchy supermarket chain that has made a fortune by transforming grocery shopping into a bright and shiny, progressive experience. Indeed, the road to wild profits and cultural cachet has been surprisingly smooth for the supermarket chain. It gets mostly sympathetic coverage in the local and national media and red-carpet treatment from the communities it enters. But does Whole Foods have an Achilles' heel? And more important, does the organic movement itself, whose coattails Whole Foods has ridden to such success, have dark secrets of its own?

continued

http://www.slate.com/id/2138176/fr/nl/

• The title was changed to Whole Foods Market At 515 Elgin St.