Whole Foods Market At 515 Elgin St.

Downtowner

Hey guys,

I am appalled at the lack of grocery choices in the Midtown/Downtown area. I want to try and get some momentum happening for Whole Foods to consider building a new supermarket in the area. I think that there would be a large enough customer base in the area to make it work. Many of the people living int the area are professionals who are health and environmentally conscious and want an alternative to the standard supermarket chains like Randalls.

I am getting all my friends in the area to email the Management of Whole Foods so they know there is a demand for a supermarket. I am considering setting up a petition as well. For the time being, here is how to tell Whole Foods you want them to consider a new supermarket in the midtown/downtown area;

Go to http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/ and select

It would, but since they are five (or less) miles down Alabama, I bet they don't.

That is what I was thinking. It will never happen. I hit the store on Alabama a few nights a week and YEP it is pricey as hell. At least the Seafood does not smell horrible (see Midtown Randalls)

Guest danax
That is what I was thinking.  It will never happen.    I hit the store on Alabama a few nights a week and YEP it is pricey as hell.  At least the Seafood does not smell horrible (see Midtown Randalls)

Midtown is close by but, the way the Kirby store is usually packed, they might have to bleed some customers off by opening another store. West U/Bellaire already have one so hard to say where they would put another one. Maybe lower Montrose/Midtown/Museum Dist.

Guest danax
what about a central market? i know there's one on westheimer but houston's due for another.

To me, Central Market is a far cry from Whole Foods as far as selection of healthy foods. Central Market seems more exotic/gourmet than health oriented. Maybe that would go over better in Midtown.

yeah I agree that the other Whole Foods is about 5 miles away. But with the new development happening on the other side of downtown, the expansion of midtown, lofts in downtown... etc, I think there is a good business case argument for building one in the area. The demographics in the area would be good business news for them as I'm sure that a lot of people living downtown/midtown probably earn reasonable/good incomes, and are more aware of their lifestyles and environment. As for taking away Kirby business, River Oaks and the Galleria crowd would not becoming downtown to go shopping! Plus you are moving closer to people in the Heights etc...So even though their business might see a drop at their Kirby store, I think that the potential base in new customers would be worth a lot more.

With regards to the other postings,yes it is more pricey than normal supermarkets, but i find the food better quality than Randalls and my philosophy is that the air pollution is crap in Houston, so you need to give your body a break in other areas. Sure I pay more for my groceries, I just feel organic/natural food is better.

AT THE END OF THE DAY THOUGH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GO AND WRITE AWAY, NOTHING WILL EVER GET DONE. IT'S ALWAYS WORTH AN EFFORT! :)

Hey Midtown, get in line behind Clear Lake, The Woodlands and Sugar Land... they've been asking for a store since Whole Foods was located on Shepherd.

If they can build one in Manhattan and make it work, I'm sure the same goes for midtown/downtown Houston.

You can't compare Manhattan to Midtown. There just isn't the concentration of people and money in Midtown that there is in Manhattan.

I wish you luck in your emailing campaign and I will be the first to commend you if Midtown gets a Whole Foods.

Done, Downtowner.

Far too many times I've TRIED to shop at the Whole Foods on Kirby/W. Alabama only to be unable to find a parking spot, even along the adjacent street! Another one in Midtown/Downtown would help take some pressure off that one. And, have you noticed that the shoppers in that Kirby store just seem so unhappy and surly? Hardly anyone ever smiles at anyone else, and everyone is kind of, well, rude. Maybe they're unhappy about the prices??

I've never noticed rude people at the Kirby Whole Foods, and I shop in there all the time. I tend to run into friends and acquaintances there a few times a month though. So maybe some of my friends and I are those surly people... (I hope not!) :-)

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines.  We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site.  If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

Montrose...could you post a link?

I guess you heard about the Shamrock Tower negotiations with Whole Foods to take the large retail location on the first floor?

I bet Whole Foods relocates the Westheimer/Wilcrest and/or Woodway/Voss store closer to the Galleria before opening up downtown.

Eventhough it would appear to be oxymoronic to have a McDonalds and Whole Foods next to each other, it will have the ability to serve to markets. Is it strange to a be patron of both places, or I'm just weird like that. I don't go to Whole Foods because it's organic and everything. I went there because it was close to my apartment on Alabama. Now I go to Kroger on 11th street because its close. Its some what cheaper especially with the Kroger card.

It think having it in downtown would be a great selling point for downtown residential units because another aspect that is needed for residents is close. Downtown residents don't have to go to the Randal's in midtown now.

Besides just having entertainment and restaurants, groceries will have a presences.

• 8 months later...
Done, Downtowner.

And, have you noticed that the shoppers in that Kirby store just seem so unhappy and surly? Hardly anyone ever smiles at anyone else, and everyone is kind of, well, rude.

I have been living "inside the loop" for over a year now, and must say that the general mood of most of the folks in this area(not a comparison to "outside the loop") seems to be unhappy and surly.

I feel like I am still in New Jersey

I don't think getting a Whold Foods in Midtown is realistic for at least another couple of years as more development ensues. But I think it's possible long-term, especially along one of the major downtown-midtown roads like Fannin, as it could get a lot of rush hour traffic plus pedestrian traffic from the rail and area residents. The problem might be the lack of business during the weekend.

Also, I've noticed the quality at Midtown Randalls has increased quite a bit lately. Their fresh bakery breads are awesome, and they started carrying a lot of house-brand organic products. They still need to offer more organic produce however.

Edited by barracuda