GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

i found this on visithoustontexas.com

Houston Pavilions Announces Restaurant Line-up

Houston Pavilions, soon to be downtown Houston's premier entertainment, retail and urban office hub, announced that it has secured six new restaurants to add to an impressive lineup of tenants that already includes Houston's first House of Blues

link to abc story this morning - play on right...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5072184

biggest thing I saw in it that they said: Currently, 95% of all residential space and 87% of all office space is full in the downtown area.

I knew about the high office space occupancy, but not the residential. That is super!

I don't think it's a letdown. I actually really like Books-A-Million. To me, they're just as good as Barnes and Noble, and they have a coffee shop in-store. I think the hours are about the same as well, closing at 11 pm.

Now about Forever 21, well...that's ok I suppose. It counts as an anchor in the Denver Pavilions project.

I still think we're set up well for a Niketown (closest one is in Atlanta--and it's in a shopping mall, Phipps Plaza), and a Virgin MegaStore (closest on is Dallas, and it's in Katy Mills' cousin Grapevine Mills). The jury is out on ESPN Zone b/c when I wrote them some months back they said that they weren't looking to expand, but hey, one can always hope, right? I mean, they'd be oh-so-close to Toyota Center and also close to Minute Maid Park, and would be a great hang-out spot before and after games.

So we have a great listing of restaurants, a House of Blues, a Forever 21, and a Books-A-Million (the bookstore everyone wanted). Looking pretty good to me.

Edited by GovernorAggie

Well Bachanon was right. I am underwelmed.

Forever 21 is an "anchor"? I thought it was just a little clothing store.

Let's not all forget to be totally psyched about a $170 million retail infusion in the middle of downtown Houston! How many of you said it would never even break ground?!?

I think this is a great day for our city, this is the beginning of a lot of progress scheduled or ongoing in our fair city.

Anyone ever eaten at Bubba Gumps Restaurant? It's awesome, and I think it would be a good fit for the Pavilions.

And is anyone listening to any local radio stations that are talking about this? I'd like to listen in online if anyone is.

Edited by lockmat

NEW ANCHORS: Books-A-Million Superstore, and Forever 21.

Also, they have a nifty mockup under the tent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books-A-Million

http://www.booksamillioninc.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_21

http://www.forever21.com/

^^Doesn't look all that promising. Bachanon called it.

I suppose that if there is one redeeming quality about Books-A-Million, it would be that it is unique to the Houston market. I suppose that that is better than 'just another' B&K or Borders. As for Forever 21, [gag]. They have locations at four malls in the Houston area and aren't considered an "anchor" at any of them. Unless this is some kind of flagship store, this announcement is as pathetic as it gets. The restaurants are better anchors!

It is even ironic that in the DT Houston market, in which yankee transplants are the best target market (evidenced by Finger's apartment design, borrowed straight from NYC), one anchor tenant is an evangelical retailer that prints John 3:16 on all its bags, and another is based in Birmingham, AL and has all the edginess and style (or lack thereof, as evident by their logo) to prove it.

Edited by TheNiche

Let's not all forget to be totally psyched about a $170 million retail infusion in the middle of downtown Houston! How many of you said it would never even break ground?!?

I think this is a great day for our city, this is the beginning of a lot of progress scheduled or ongoing in our fair city.

I'm certainly excited about the building, and really don't care what other tenants there are as long as its not Radio Shack and Dress Barn.

I just thought that anchor tenant was a little misleading for a Forever 21. Having a book store and a coffee bar next to STCL will be great for the students.

Thanks for the links.

Forever21...The guys stuff looks kinda, eh. But I like the women's stuff. Seems pretty trendy and very diverse. I wouldn't mind seeing my lady in that kind of style.

Hey! Don't hate on the home state! Saks Fifth Avenue is based there, too, you know! Houston has a Books-A-Million in Katy Mills, and I really enjoy that place.

Is there anything different about Books-a-million from the other big two, which I don't even pay attention to the names and always get them mixed up. It's books and music...how different can ya get, as long as their inventory is big?

Is there anything different about Books-a-million from the other big two, which I don't even pay attention to the names and always get them mixed up. It's books and music...how different can ya get, as long as their inventory is big?

I don't there's too much different, other that what Great Hizzy said about the Urbanistas.

True to form, the real 'anchor' Books A Million is a relatively new name in Houston. That's kinda what HP is aiming to do, right?

Actually, I think that they're music is little lacking compared to Borders (but I never buy music there anyway--why pay $18 for the same CD thats $13 at WalMart, $15 at Target, or $10 on iTunes?).

Maybe this is a good sign--why need a books and music store when you may be working on leasing space to Virgin?

Edited by GovernorAggie

OH MY GOD! I really think this is the tenants for Houston Pavilions, at lease I hope it is. I've checked Denver Pavilions web site. They don't have a 20-30 screen theater, it's only 15 screens. I'm guessing they decided to built a Multi-Use Cinema Complex to make up for the residental. So, pretty much this is a dream come true for downtown Houston!

KEY TENANTS...

HOUSE OF BLUES

UNITED ARTIST 20-30 SCREENS (THEY HEARD MY PRAYERS)

LUCKY STRIKE

COYOTE UGLY

HARD ROCK CAFE

YAO'S

MAGGIANO'S LITTLE ITALY

CORNER BAKERY

MCCORMICK & SCHMICKS

LAWRY'S PRIME RIB

VIRGIN MEGA STORE

BARNES AND NOBLE

BANNANA REPUBLIC

GAP/BABY GAP

ANN TAYLOR

EXPRESS

VICTORIA'S SECRET

NIKETOWN

FOREVER 21

BRIGHTON COLLECTABLES

BCBG

Yeah, right! The only reason this group is hard to please is b/c everyone believes anonymous posts that don't disclose their source. No one bothered to challenge the athenticity of this list...

Books a million is a good tenant, but really HP is not much better than what you get between Bayou Place and the Houston Center...

Getting back on topic:

So, they're going to start on the eastern most block first? are they going to use one block to store equipment? When are they going to close off the remaining blocks?

Why is the Pavillions website not updated to reflect this work.

Damn these lazy webmasters.

Yeah, right! The only reason this group is hard to please is b/c everyone believes anonymous posts that don't disclose their source. No one bothered to challenge the athenticity of this list...

Books a million is a good tenant, but really HP is not much better than what you get between Bayou Place and the Houston Center...

Get hold of yourself. First, the "anonymous" post was not "anonymous". It was posted by a frequent contributor. Not sure what you even meant by that slap. Second. The poster disclosed their source. Their source was the development company's website, where they called it exactly what the poster said... "key tenants". Odd that nobody challenged it??? Hardly, it was quite easy to find it on the website and confirm it ourselves. The idea that it was the official list of Houston Pavilions tenants was nothing but speculation as was clear in the so-called "anonymous" post. Besides which, there was a fairly lengthy discussion of what, exactly, that list represented.

Your final sentence is of course totally subjective, but I suspect that when you see Houston Pavilions completed, even you will realize how foolish such a statement sounds in retrospect. But even if it does not offer much more than the combination of Bayou Place and Houston Center. It sounds like pretty good progress to have one development that has in it what two previous developments combined offer, PLUS those other developments still exist downtown (and are growing/improving as well). It's a GREAT day for downtown Houston anyway you look at it.

Edited by Houston19514

i put an email from the president of the development who said the website was incorrect. when people still speculated after that, well i guess they are living in a dream world, not reality.

like i said earlier, i think the restaurants will be a good draw as long as parking is provided. the bus at my corner goes right there which is good.

Edited by musicman