Carnegie Vanguard High School At 1501 Taft St.

VicMan

What are you even talking about? How does that relate to this situation? You are saying that an attractive school being built on an empty lot is going to somehow destroy this neighborhood. That makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

But now, instead of folks making conditions better for them, your now running them off to areas that aren't used to the city elements and then you create another situation..

The reason why Fondren, Antoine, Sharpstown, 1960 @ I-45, Greenspoint is what it is because people ran folks away from certain areas and dropped them in places that aren't/weren't designed to handle what goes on in urban areas.

When they built those big homes in that area, there wasn't a transient population walking the street....but lo and behold, when folks started losing their homes for whatever reason in DT, they were sent to those places due to bus line and cheap housing/apartments.

What happens now? The original folks get tired and move out to far-flung suburbs miles away from the city and now those areas designed for one thing are taken over and have trouble adjusting to a different demographic...

All from a simple little school

The residents of the 4th Ward were run off long before the decision to move CVS was made. Gregory-Lincoln, at the North end of that tract has been there for decades.

why wasn't an effort made to retain the history of the area and keep the residents around? They could just add on to Lincoln and have Carnegie attend there....

4th ward is an example of gentrification that benefits developers in the short-term.....5th ward is right around the corner with more land, are they scared to go over there?

not sure what point you are trying to make, but to answer your question, yes, they are scared to build in the 5th ward because it's still too dangerous. the 5th ward is still what the 4th ward was in 1999. hopefully, over time, 5th ward will also be revitalized.

as an aside, the subsidized housing in the 4th ward needs to go too. hopefully when the tax incentives expire for those houses, the property taxes will become too high, and they can be demolished too. (for that matter, just get rid of the remnants of allen parkway village entirely--that property is way too valuable for its current use.)

why wasn't an effort made to retain the history of the area and keep the residents around?

What are you talking about? No one is being run off by this project. You seem to have this odd idea that if this school is built, everyone who lives there will be forced to leave.

And as far as retaining the history, the Settegast Building is being renovated because of this project. That's retaining history. It probably would've been just as easy for them to demolish the building.

They could just add on to Lincoln and have Carnegie attend there....

Carnegie started as part of Jones, and they are their own school. No one associated with Carnegie is willing to give up being their own school to go back to just being part of another school again.

Biggest difference is that 5th ward residents are landowners as opposed to 4th ward which were easy to run off. Some folks have got bold and tried townhome projects in 5th ward and alot sit empty also.

Yall see it as new buildings and $$$...I see it that the residents have to move elsewhere and usually its a suburban area not designed to handle an influx of city folks.

You close Allen Parkway Village, where do they go? Lets fill some of those empty high rises along Allen parkway then

BYall see it as new buildings and $$$...I see it that the residents have to move elsewhere and usually its a suburban area not designed to handle an influx of city folks.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you think they have to move? No one is being forced out of their homes.

Hbcu, allow me to refer you back to the subject of this thread which concerns the building of the Carnegie school. By all means start a new thread to discuss the displacement of low income residents by developers, etc, etc, but I still have yet to see a compelling argument that the school is acting in this capacity. Reading through the number of rebuttals here, it seems clear that Carnegie is a late-comer to the gentrification of this neighborhood (contributing to it, sure, but not the catalyst). So to be clear, is your discussion about the general gentrification of the 4th Ward and the displacement of the older, low income residents or is it about Carnegie's role in all this?

Technically, is there a need for Carnegie? I live near that area and its alright a hassle to drive now...they have more space on Scott Street

The new location will better serve the kids who go to the school, many of whom live nowhere near Scott St. There is a need for the school, it serves the brightest students in HISD, providing enhanced learning opportunities that are difficult to accomplish in a regular HS that might not have neough G/T students to fill a class.

HISD students come from all over so right now it may benefit some but in 3 years there may be an influx of applicants from the SW Side...

I like the mission of the school as I've had 5 cousins graduate from there but they never complained about mixing in with the folks when it was Jones.....I just think HISD does better using that money for something else as they have a dedicated school already instead of putting it on pricey real estate that could be used for something else.

What happens to the school they took over? More dead real estate?

Your cousins may not have complained, by my fiancée and the several friends I have who went there have complained to me about it. Everything that I've been told is that the Jones kids never liked the Carnegie kids, and the kids from each school never really got along.

HISD students come from all over so right now it may benefit some but in 3 years there may be an influx of applicants from the SW Side...

That's arbitrary speculation. In three years, there MAY be an influx of applicants from 4th Ward, for all we know. Both of our statements are irrelevant to the construction of this school.

Edited by Golyadkin

It depends on where you came from....If you were used to the area nothing was wrong with Jones but the folks who didn't come from the area put up the fuss. I know alot of folks who enjoyed both sides....the ones who refused to assimilate into Jones caused the problems.

I just think they can put money into where they're at now and use that land for something worthwhile...

It depends on where you came from....If you were used to the area nothing was wrong with Jones but the folks who didn't come from the area put up the fuss. I know alot of folks who enjoyed both sides....the ones who refused to assimilate into Jones caused the problems.

I just think they can put money into where they're at now and use that land for something worthwhile...

Is it my imagination, or is this the first time EVER that I have heard someone AGAINST a school in their neighborhood?

Not really. The current site is in the floodplain which means total rebuild above base flood elevation, and there's no place to put the students while the current building is replaced.

• 1 month later...

From GHPA (crossposting from ):

HISD to renovate historic Art Deco building for Carnegie Vanguard

Houston Independent School District trustees have voted to fund the renovation of the Settegast Estate Building (1938) as part of the new Carnegie Vanguard High School (CVHS) for gifted and talented students. According the CVHS PTO President Peggy Sue Gay, the building will serve as the high school's art annex and include a 130-seat theater, art room and photo lab.

Architects Moore & Lloyd designed the building at 242-256 West Gray Avenue as an investment property for the Settegast Estate. The structure’s large, stepped turret anchors a pivot point on West Gray and is visible from Montrose Boulevard. Houston’s Orange Crush bottling plant occupied part of the building through the 1950s.

Members of the CVHS PTO worked diligently to prevent the building’s demolition. They were supported in their efforts by HISD trustees Larry Marshall, Juliet Stipeche and Carol Mims Galloway.

The Settegast Estate Building is part of GHPA’s book Houston Deco and its companion website www.houstondeco.org.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More renderings of the school and this one says that the parking area will be a 2-level parking structure shared by both schools.

"To maximize the open space in this tight urban site, the student and faculty parking is provided in a two-level parking structure between the two schools in a way that both schools can share parking at individual peak periods of use."

http://www.tenyearst...rity.org/?p=492

More renderings of the school and this one says that the parking area will be a 2-level parking structure shared by both schools.

"To maximize the open space in this tight urban site, the student and faculty parking is provided in a two-level parking structure between the two schools in a way that both schools can share parking at individual peak periods of use."

http://www.tenyearst...rity.org/?p=492

I'm amazed that a 2 story parking garage is being built by HISD--

---I was part of the "Master Plan" Committee for Lamar High school (Lamar has the smallest acreage of any HISD high school and parking is premium--300 spaces and graduating classes each year that top 700) when my kid attended--And a 2 story parking garage was discussed and dismissed by HISD as too expensive --this even when some St Johns supporters were approached and thought that sharing parking was a good idea and would also share costs. I don't remember the exact number quoted but I think it was $16,000. per parking space.

From the linked article:

Tennis courts are also provided on the top deck of the parking garage.

Though i'm not going to complain about a parking garage over a surface lot that would be double the size, given we were thinking of purchasing a home around there, I was worried about impacts to the view. But a tennis court would be interesting if done right. Anyone heard about these plans? That article is from August 2011...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the parking structure is mostly complete. there are about 100 spaces down, and another 100 up. I wonder if this will be a shared garage for students as well? No where else to park... I know they provided buses from all over the district but I assume they allow commuting students as well... Edit: looked at the original rendering which had 166 spots for students and 60 for faculty, the garage probably covers that.

Anyways, on the roof there are yellow lines painted for parking and white lines painted for three tennis courts. They have the holes in place for where the nets will go and good lighting it appears. of course there will be 0 spots for parking when the courts are in use. I guess they will be for practice in the evenings and weekends. Also they will have to put a fence up otherwise there will be a lot of balls going over the edge.

Edited by skwatra