Carnegie Vanguard High School At 1501 Taft St.

VicMan

I walked in to the school yesterday, they were cleaning up, getting classrooms ready, etc. they let us walk around, looks really nice.

snapped some pics on my phone:

IMG_20120825_184041.jpg

center courtyard:

IMG_20120825_183635.jpg

cafeteria/gym:

IMG_20120825_183344.jpg

chem lab:

IMG_20120825_183656.jpg

rooftop garden:

IMG_20120825_183808.jpg

library facing w gray:

IMG_20120825_183839.jpg

parking rooftop/tennis courts:

IMG_20120825_184144.jpg

future baseball field i think?

IMG_20120825_184250.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com...gie-3863683.php

"The land saved is used as playing fields; once they're finished, they'll be open to the public outside of school hours, effectively functioning as a city park."

"He talked wistfully about things that could happen there, once he rounds up enough money: that the theater could be open to the public, for talks or Saturday-morning children's theater; that the shops' old display windows could be used to showcase student work to passersby; and not least, that Carnegie's enthusiastic young actors and playwrights would finally have a stage worthy of their productions."

Edited by DrLan34

• 1 month later...

I really like that they are using the shell of the existing structure at the southeast corner of the site. Any idea what the program of that space will be?

Are you talking about the old settegast building? If so it is going to be their art annex building.

http://www.preservationhouston.org/news/?p=88

Edited by fatesdisastr
  • Like 1

it's funny you say that because just this morning when i drove by i was wondering if they had scrapped using it as an annex. they haven't done anything new to the building in many months and I don't think they are doing significant work elsewhere on the project at this time. i was speculating that they ran out of money. Hopefully not . . . .

it's funny you say that because just this morning when i drove by i was wondering if they had scrapped using it as an annex. they haven't done anything new to the building in many months and I don't think they are doing significant work elsewhere on the project at this time. i was speculating that they ran out of money. Hopefully not . . . .

I believe the money for that portion of the project was not included in the HISD construction budget, but is being raised privately. Still being raised.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to 2