Recipes, Please

editor

I'm trying to save money by cooking at home more often. I used to do it a lot, but got away from it for a while.

Now that I'm starting again, I'd like some suggestions for dinners. And by "suggestions" I mean full recipes for something hot, not just sammitches. I can do those on my own.

What are you cooking to save money?

Our "We're tired and we'll drop back to what we know" menu...

MUSTARD PORK TENDELOIN, RED(SCARE?) POTATOES, BALSALMIC GREEN SALAD

TENDERLOIN:

1 tbs, dry sage, 2 tbs soy sauce, 1 tps of jarred minced garlic, 1/2 cup dijon mustard

Coat the tenderloin

Cook at 325 F until tederloin reaches 357F (Use thermometer. I like the remote version from WS)

Leaving thermometer in, make sure it comes to 360F, let rest for at least 5 minutes

serve in medallions

POTATOES

Red Potatoes halved

EVOO (olive oil)

kosher salt (sea salt)

fresh rosemary chopped

fresh thyme chopped

Cota potatoes in above. Roast at 350 (you can start them with the tenderloin, but they need to be above the meat or you'll screw up the meat)

SALAD

Bag 'o mixed greens (like spring greens)

1 tspgarlic powder

1tsp pepper

EVOO (olive oil)

descent balsalmic vinegar (Whole Foods 365 or Candoni...do not spend $30 on salad dressing!)

Shake garlic powder and grind pepper on greens FIRST, then add oil and vinegar (vinegar and spice react on greens for a great taste)

Edit

** the pork coating is inspired by a recipe from the Houston Junior League's Stop and Smell the Rosemary, a truly great cookbook.

I'm trying to save money by cooking at home more often. I used to do it a lot, but got away from it for a while.

Now that I'm starting again, I'd like some suggestions for dinners. And by "suggestions" I mean full recipes for something hot, not just sammitches. I can do those on my own.

I pull most of my recipes from the web - www.recipezaar.com. Over 300,000 user submitted recipes and good tools that you can use to sort them.

My daughter is off to college and gave her this book. I was the iron chef of ramen noodles... :)

Most of (the few) meals I cook at home are heavily rice based (love rice).

One of my favorites is cooking beef tips and gravy and mixing in to white rice (my rice cooker is the most used appliance). You can make enough for 2 and make it last for a couple of meals.

I'm a fan of one-pot meals and braised meats in particular.

If you like chicken, try this. Very tasty and economical. It uses cheap bone-in, skin-on thighs and a couple of canned ingredients. This makes 2 meals for 2 people, basically. You will need:

6 chicken thighs

1 can swanson's lower sodium chicken broth

1 can diced tomatoes ( I like Hunts petite diced)

1 can cannelini (white kidney) beans

1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts

sliced fresh mushrooms (canned are no good in this)

1 onion

fresh garlic

White wine (for this I like sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio

salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, tarragon (all dried) bay leaf

take off most of the chicken skin (leave a little for flava), then salt and pepper the chicken, then brown it in a hot dutch oven (or a high sided skillet that has a lid). Put a little bit of oil in the skillet so meat doesn't stick. Just cook long enough to brown, not cook through. Use high heat. Leave lots of room between the pieces, so it will probably take two batches to brown.

Take the chicken out an put on a plate, deglaze the pan with white wine or chicken stock, (keep pan on high heat, add just enough liquid that loosens the stuck on bits--scrape em up with a wooden spoon but leave them in pan. Add just a touch more oil (like a teaspoon) and cook 1 small chopped onion and 3-6 cloves (depends how much you like garlic) of chopped garlic until soft. Add the chicken back in. pour in can of chicken broth, 1 cup of white wine Add salt pepper, and little red pepper if you like it spicier. Add 1 bay leaf, the canned tomaotes, 1 teaspoon each of oregano, basil and tarragon. Liquid should almost but not quite cover the chicken. Cook until simmering and then turn heat to very low and put the lid on. After 20 minutes, add chopped fresh mushrooms, and a small jar of artichoke hearts (drain them first). Put lid back on, keep on low. After another 15 minutes, add canned beans. I drain and rinse them to get all the salt goo off. Simmer a while longer. Take of heat and let it just sit while you cook rice or make a salad.

Serve with rice or pasta. This makes totally awesome leftovers. It's also outstanding with good quality green olives instead of the artichoke hearts.

Tomato and Spinach Pasta

1.5 cups of rotini or penne pasta, uncooked

1/2 lb hot or mild italian sausage (I split pkg containing ~ 1.25 lbs and freeze other half)

1 pkg of baby spinach leaves

2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano, undrained

1 cup shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese

optional: add'l Italian spices.

Cook pasta as directed on pkg.

Meanwhile, crumble sausage into large deep skillet. Cook on medium-high 10 to 12 min or until cooked through, stirring occasionally; drain.

Add tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Remove heat.

Drain cooked pasta and add to skillet. Stir and add cheese on top.

NOTE: I usually add some additional Italian spices when I add canned tomatoes, dried is fine.

Sunny Anderson's Picnic Potato and Chicken Salad

I actually made this last week with a few twists (eye-balled a good heaping of chopped olives and also added some sweet, bread and butter pickles; I could also see hard-boiled eggs in it maybe). This is very filling, delicious, and more than either just potato or chicken salad alone. It keeps well and feeds a LOT as a main dish with just some lettuce for garnish. Add a few tomato slices drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice and you're ready to go!

Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking...n-salad-recipe/

Tomato and Spinach Pasta

1.5 cups of rotini or penne pasta, uncooked

1/2 lb hot or mild italian sausage (I split pkg containing ~ 1.25 lbs and freeze other half)

1 pkg of baby spinach leaves

2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano, undrained

1 cup shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese

optional: add'l Italian spices.

Cook pasta as directed on pkg.

Meanwhile, crumble sausage into large deep skillet. Cook on medium-high 10 to 12 min or until cooked through, stirring occasionally; drain.

Add tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Remove heat.

Drain cooked pasta and add to skillet. Stir and add cheese on top.

NOTE: I usually add some additional Italian spices when I add canned tomatoes, dried is fine.

That sounds GOOD! I'm cooking that for supper tonight!

Honestly the heat makes us not want to cook at all. Even in the air condition.

Cold cuts in the frig are best for summer months in Houston. Day time snacks like summer sausage & crackers (yum), hot dogs, salads and my fav in summer, jello! Then there are all of the fruit we should be eating any way. Down in the south are the standard watermelon, canalopes & grapes.

Evening something that can cook quick, pork chops, steak whatever doesnt make too much steam.

A real summer fav is Pineapple Sherbet & 7 Up or Sprite and ice. Yum, yum! :P

I have learned to do a lot with Ramen noodles. I do a lot of stir-fry using shrimp, chicken or pork with broccoli, onions, red cabbage, or whatever veggies I have on hand, then have it over the noodles.

I eat a lot of chicken, so I will usually rotisseratate two chickens on the gas grill, take the meat off the bones, then freeze small portions in Ziploc bags. The small portions are easy to defrost in the nukerator. I love to make chicken nachos. I also make a soup using the Ramen and the flavor pack (chicken bullion), then add the chicken and maybe drizzle in a scrambled egg, like an egg drop soup.

I buy shrimp at H.E.B. here in Bastrop in 2# bags. The shrimp are individually flash frozen right off the boat, and are as fresh tasting as I have ever had off the boats from the Gulf. The best thing is that you can use as many or as few shrimp as you need without defrosting the whole bag.

My favorite recipes are those that use 5 items or less. When you do shrimp with 10 typed of herbs and spices, you tend to lose the actual taste of the shrimp, which defeats the purpose to me. I like to taste each and every item in the dish. I have seen recipe books that specialize in 5 item recipes, but can

Finally, I have learned that it is often cheaper to eat out that cook a full meal at home, especially if cooking solo, as I do often.

Eating out can be economical if you split dishes or take home 1/2 of the meal. Most portions served in Houston restaurants are big enough for 2 or enough for leftovers.

I often will ask for a take out tray as soon as the meal is served. That way, the food is not actually 'left-over' since it was never eaten off of.

:-)

My Crockpot Chili

2 (16 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and washed

2 lb. ground chuck, sirloin or turkey browned and drained

1 onion coarsely chopped.

2 green bell peppers chopped

Williams chili mix (no salt added)

3-4 crushed garlic cloves (already minced is fine too)

3 cans diced tomatoes (chili style)

1 big can tomato sauce (no salt added)

1 small can tomato sauce (no salt added)

OR

3 small cans tomato sauce (no salt added)

Put all ingredients in crockpot. Stir initially. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.

NOTE: use a larger crockpot. it makes quite a bit. my coworkers devour this.

This one has limited appeal but if you like Sauerkraut.........

In a Crock Pot

32 Oz. Sauerkraut rinsed and drained

16 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 large potato pealed and cubed

meat, amount and type is up to you. I prefer ham and pork

caraway seeds, to taste, the more the better

hot sauce, to taste, the more the better.

Cook +/- 6 hours on low

I am slowly expanding my cooking horizons (they are relatively bleak)...

I enjoy browsing through these sites:

http://smittenkitchen.com/

http://www.epicurious.com/

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/

This recipe looks good (I have had a recent obsession with Israeli/pearl couscous):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...GANO-OIL-231800

All the men I know who don't cook much, or who can't cook well and want to, all love Cook's Illustrated magazine when I show it to them. I guess it appeals to men because it deconstructs recipes in a sort of scientific way to explain what result you're after and how to get it. And, most of the dishes in it are mainstream food, and don't require lots of expensive or hard-to-find ingredients.

Maybe it's the summer heat. I love to cook, but I'm tired of it. I guess I know how my mom felt. I want someone to cook for me. Hmm. I must be going through a rebellious hausfrau stage.

All the men I know who don't cook much, or who can't cook well and want to, all love Cook's Illustrated

i'll have to go to the bookstore, seems their recipes are blurred out unless you're a member. i don't need a margarita anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...sammitches, pretty often.

Here's my mom's recipe for easy chicken salad:

1. Drag that half-eaten roast chicken out of the refrigerator. Sniff it. Hope for the best.

2. Rip off anything that looks like it contains meat. Remove any obvious bones. Hack it up.

3. Chop up some onions, and celery if you have it. Add something - what are we, animals? Some people add chopped apples, raisins or nuts. Personally, that makes me sick.

4. Mask with plenty of mayonnaise. Smear on bread. Serve to the unsuspecting.

It's just as good as it sounds.

But! Here's a dish I've come up with that's easy, economical, surprisingly healthy, and delicious. Seriously, delicious. People have raved, and I think they weren't just being polite.

I cannot give exact measures. I'll leave that to Fanny Farmer (or is it Frances Farmer? I get them mixed up.) Also, there is some flexibility - you might want to buy some items already prepared, if you're lazy and have the $ to spare. It contains nothing very exotic, but you'll get your best value by shopping for the ingredients at Fiesta. There's mincing and dicing involved; you can handle it.

Cross-Cultural Chicken Salad, Houston Style

A cooked whole chicken breast, skinned, deboned, 1/4" dice

A large ripe mango, 1/4" dice

2 or 3 fresh chilis (jalapenos or serranos), seeded, minced fine

A piece of fresh ginger, about 1", minced fine. Peel it if you think you must.

juice of 1/2 lime

About 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced. Leaves only, if you're fussy.

A tsp or so of brown sugar or honey, if the mango's not sweet enough.

About 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil - be sure it's pure, and not that blended crap.

1/8 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder (optional)

Some chopped red bell pepper (optional)

Combine. Chill. Serve. Eat.

There, was that so hard? You'll like it. The sweet, hot, fresh and savory balance is very pleasing. If you don't like it, sue me. If this was someone else's recipe I'm taking credit for, I'm sure I got it wrong anyway; sue me.

*Note* The omission of salt is not accidental. I love salt, yet it somehow detracts from this recipe. That, and the lack of fats is what makes it so depressingly healthy.

This weekend I cooked for the first time in a few years. I put some Hebrew National all beef wieners in a skillet, burned them just enough, wrapped them in buns and squirted mustard all over them while singing the "Theme From Burnt Weeny Sandwich". Yum.

Here is my DESSERT recipe that is so ridiculously easy that you will try to tell your friends it took forever when they tell you how good it is.

Dump Cake:

2 boxes of white or yellow cake mix

2 cans cherry pie filling

2 cans crushed pineapple

1 stick of butter

In a 16X12 pan used butter to lightly grease pan. You can use PAM if you want, but you will still need the butter for later. Dump contents of all 4 cans into pan spreading it out evenly mixed. Dump both cake mixes evenly on top of cherries and pineapple mix. DO NOT STIR. Cut butter into equal squares and place evenly on top of cake mix. Put pan into oven at 350* and bake until golden brown on top.

Here is my DESSERT recipe that is so ridiculously easy that you will try to tell your friends it took forever when they tell you how good it is.

Dump Cake:

2 boxes of white or yellow cake mix

2 cans cherry pie filling

2 cans crushed pineapple

1 stick of butter

In a 16X12 pan used butter to lightly grease pan. You can use PAM if you want, but you will still need the butter for later. Dump contents of all 4 cans into pan spreading it out evenly mixed. Dump both cake mixes evenly on top of cherries and pineapple mix. DO NOT STIR. Cut butter into equal squares and place evenly on top of cake mix. Put pan into oven at 350* and bake until golden brown on top.

Okay, I have traveled far and wide and never heard of this. Are you pulling our legs or is this a real recipe?

Okay, I have traveled far and wide and never heard of this. Are you pulling our legs or is this a real recipe?

Real Deal. I only forgot to tell him to drain the pineapple juice a little bit. This is my favorite dessert. It turns out like a cobbler, and is great by itself, ala mode or with some cool whip on top.

here's an easy one I'm making right now:

Tortellini Stew

1. cook a package of tortellini

2. In a large skillet, heat some olive oil. Add some minced garlic (one or two cloves?), 2 cans of diced tomatoes (italian seasoning ones make it even easier) and a package of spinach.

3. Add the cooked tortellini to the rest.

4. Add oregano and basil to taste.

Yummy, healthy, cheap, easy, fast. (do I mean the food?...)

Real Deal. I only forgot to tell him to drain the pineapple juice a little bit. This is my favorite dessert. It turns out like a cobbler, and is great by itself, ala mode or with some cool whip on top.

I am gonna have to try this. I am not much for baking, but it sounds easy enough even for me. And kinda tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

After eating my fair share of falafel sandwiches at La Fendee I thought I'd try it at home, tzatziki and all...(and snapped a few pictures in the process).

The prep time was a little lengthy for me, but I am not highly skilled in the kitchen :)

For the falafel, I wimped out this time and used a mix (this one), but here's a promising recipe.

The tzatziki was easy to make, and I loosely followed a recipe like this one, but it is flexible.

This also looks like a good and easy accompaniment:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/a-salad-palette/

Archived