George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-presents-big-plans-for-Bush-5427751.php#/0

According to this United plans on using this terminal too.

""This is our vision for the future," system director Mario Diaz said Thursday in an address to the city council committee. He was accompanied by United Airlines officials who said they have a stake in replacing the aging Terminal D and are willing to help make it happen."

1. "United will fund the Terminal B north project. That new terminal will allow the airline to move its Terminal C operations to that gate while the construction is underway at Terminal D. United, which already runs international flights through Terminal E, plans to be a major user of the new Terminal D once it's completed."

It is not dry at all. Their Humidity is WORSE than ours. I couldn't wear my glasses because they would fog up all the time.

Uh... ?  Maybe during some parts of the year they have days where it is more humid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Dubai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston

So the average humidity of Dubai is 59%

Average humidity in Houston is 73%

http://www.usa.com/houston-tx-weather.htm

I'll give you that yes, places that are typically dry can have humid days, and places that are wet can have dry days.

• 1 month later...

Houston (June 19, 2014) - Houston City Council members unanimously approved a funding and phasing plan that lays out the path for a new international terminal building at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). The new facility would replace the existing Mickey Leland International Terminal Building (Terminal D) and would be constructed in the same location as the existing structure.

“Houston is firmly established as a key player on the global market stage and we need an international terminal building that adequately reflects that standing,” says Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “International travel is vital to both our economic health and our quality of life. We’ve been remarkably successful in attracting new international air service to Houston and now it’s time to address the infrastructure needs at George Bush Intercontinental Airport.”

The memorandum of agreement (MOA) passed by Houston City Council members on June 18, 2014 accomplishes two key goals in the drive to move forward with a new Terminal D. The MOA secures support from United Airlines in working through the logistical phasing issues inherent with a project of this scope and size, and it also enhances an existing funding mechanism used by the Houston Airport System (HAS) in securing the necessary dollars for infrastructure improvement projects.

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3921916/0/83280/

• Like 1

Great news which means United can start construction on the north side of Terminal B for mainline flights.  I believe 20 more gates that connect to Terminal C.  On the website when they tear down Terminal D the International carriers will use the north side of Terminal C.  Star Alliance carriers can use Terminal E also with better connections.

• 4 months later...

Now that Eva Air has announced Taipei and United has announced the launch of IAH-SCL , what nonstops do y'all see IAH getting in the future?

IAH will have nonstops to PEK, ICN, DXB, DOH, NRT, TPE, and IST in Asia.

Nonstops to Europe include LHR, CDG, AMS, MUC, FRA, DME, and SVG in Europe.

Africa currently features LOS and the charter flight to LAD.

I could see United upgauging LAD to daily passenger service on a 787 for oil traffic. MAD would also make a solid route for Latin America connectivity (transit without visa would really help that along).

IAH has become quite a Star Alliance hub, and connections to BRU might not be out of the question. I am curious as to what more y'all see in IAH's future.

We've been blessed with a ton of major new routes recently, I don't see that pace keeping up in the near future. I think we are basically saturated to east Asia with the EVA Air flight. The only thing I could see is PVG (Shanghai), which United could start with a 787, though they are pushing the delivery of their 788s back apparently so I don't know if they will have enough aircraft. The second daily Tokyo flight was cancelled recently, though theoretically ANA might add Tokyo-Haneda service in the future.

Deep South America is also more or less complete for the time being, maybe United could add CNF (Belo Horizonte) with the Azul partnership, but I don't really see that happening any time soon. Some of the more northern South American cities could be a possibility, definitely Maracaibo if things with Venezuela ever improve, as well as possibly going back to Guayaquil and/or Medillin/Cali which Continental used to serve. 

Central America is well served, there might be one or two random Mexican destinations added, but more likely we will get additional flights on non-United airlines to Mexican destinations already served like the VivaAerobus, Interjet, and AeroMexico flights being added recently. Spirit has apparently applied for 3 destinations in Mexico for a March start, but I can't remember which three they were. Volaris also has applied for some routes, but they might end up at Hobby next year. WestJet makes a lot of sense to Calgary, that's one that I'm pretty surprised hasn't happened yet. Maybe Toronto as well, as there's a good amount of traffic between the two cities. United may add some Caribbean cities like St. Maarten depending on how the Punta Cana route performs.

Europe is relatively well served, especially with the addition of Munich, but Madrid is an outside possibility which would be cool. Brussels or Zurich on Star Alliance airlines could make sense as well, but probably not both. As far as Africa goes, I don't think we will see any additional flights other than Lagos in the next decade. There's no way United will take over the LAD flight, even with a 787. Maybe an outside shot of JNB on United or South African one day.

The one airline/route that I'm surprised is not yet in IAH is Etihad to Abu Dhabi. It's pretty surprising that they are flying to Dallas (ew) before Houston. I could see that happening in the next 18 months. Also, I think United to Dubai would make some sense if they have enough 787s. Maybe Saudi Arabian or Royal Jordanian in the next 5-10 years. 

I would love to see Auckland service on Air New Zealand (I was so excited when Continental announced that route, but alas, United killed all our hopes and dreams), but I'm not banking on it.

Overall I'd say expect to see more Mexico additions than any long haul flying other than Taipei. But you never know, Korean Air was certainly a surprise, so maybe we will get some more nice announcements.

• Like 1

Interesting. I think Guayaquil is within the range of the 737-800 and am surprised UA does not fly the route. Did they give up the Continental frequencies? PVG would be a nice add. HKG would also be cool.

I think the 787-8's were coverted into 787-10's to be delivered in the 2020's.

I think there was an offshore oil discovery near Porto Alegre, Brazil and wonder if that could become a good 767-300 route.

Good to hear we are going to see some tails other than United for North America flights.

How about some direct service to Vietnam and India? Feel like this market could support that. I suppose Emirates and Qatar handle much of that demand now....

Vietnam will never happen, the traffic is extremely low-yield, even though we have a ton of Vietnamese people in Houston. India maybe eventually, but probably not anytime soon.

They belong to Oneworld and Emirates has control here getting ready to fly the Airbus 380.  All the America carriers should be warned.  Emirates, Qatar, Etihad are owned by the government.  They don't have to pay their jet fuel.  Lufthansa Airlines is forcing Germany to force them and not give them more slots to land there.   

They belong to Oneworld and Emirates has control here getting ready to fly the Airbus 380. All the America carriers should be warned. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad are owned by the government. They don't have to pay their jet fuel. Lufthansa Airlines is forcing Germany to force them and not give them more slots to land there.

Turkish is same way. They don't care if they lose money they want market share. Good for customers.

I don't think there is enough business demand to Vietnam. It's mostly VFR traffic.

IAH-DEL is intriguing down the line. It's a shorter flight to Delhi than Mumbai and Air India is now apart of Star Alliance.

Korean is cutting back Seoul-DFW now that AA has started flying the route. If they want a presence in Texas, IAH might be their best bet.

Any chance Tel Aviv might work?

I don't think there is enough business demand to Vietnam. It's mostly VFR traffic.

IAH-DEL is intriguing down the line. It's a shorter flight to Delhi than Mumbai and Air India is now apart of Star Alliance.

Korean is cutting back Seoul-DFW now that AA has started flying the route. If they want a presence in Texas, IAH might be their best bet.

Any chance Tel Aviv might work?

Can an airplane go to Delhi from here? Even if it was available I think most people would still take one stop because the nonstop price is higher. Look at New York market for instance.

Delhi is 300 miles farther than Doha, according to the great circle mapper. A better question would be how much demand would there be for that route, or would Mumbai work better. Most of the Indians I work with fly to Mumbai or Calcutta.