Commute Times

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 Minutes... The Heights to Southeast Houston... and I work all different hours so I never have to deal with rush hours which is nice.

Rice Hotel to Chase Tower: 15 seconds if I run quickly

So lucky... I wish I could live and work Downtown.

Mrs. Porchman's - 15 feet from bedroom to office. Poor woman, she does it before she has her coffee. (That's an additional 30 feet)

Mrs. CDeb has a similar gig....about 6 ft from the bed to the desk.

South Union to Westchase - 17 miles in approx 15-20 minutes, regardless of what time I leave (anytime between 7 am and 9 am). Same for the ride home...unless I leave work early for some reason (before 7pm), at which time inbound traffic on 59 sucks. The reverse commute is a good thing.

Worst part of the ride in the morning is the 5-7 minute drive up 288 to 59.

Worst part of the ride in the evening is having to drive through 3 traffic lights.

20 minutes each way, Midtown to Galena Park

As crazy as it is though, I do work DT some days, and it's either 30 minutes door to door (lights, parking garage, walk, elevators) or 25 to take the MetroRail - so rail it is, but it takes me longer to go 2 miles than it does to go 15... frustrating

288 & 2234 to Midtown - about 35 min between 6:45 and 7:45, plus or minus 10 minutes (earlier is better)

Midtown to 288 & 2234 - about 30 min after 6 pm or before 5 pm. Add about 10-15 min from 5 to 6pm

I have an easy, SMOOOTH 12 mile roundtrip commute. Riverside to Downtown. I'm a full time student at UHD. I take SH 288 North from N. MacGregor to US 59 North, exit to I-10 West, swoop under the Elysian viaduct and exit at N. Main, then turn right onto N. Main to the parking lot. I usually schedule my classes to begin late in the morning (after 10am) to beat the morning traffic. Takes about 10 min to cover the 6 miles from home to school and vice versa. It may take as long as 20-25 mins via freeway to get back to Riverside in a semester that I have my last class let out during rush hour, during one of the mid afternoon outbound bottlenecks at the SH 288 South/US 59 South split, or whenever there's a major accident blocking some lanes. In those cases, I'll just take Scott, Dowling, San Jacinto, or Almeda Rd back to Riverside, depending on what section of highway I encounter the slowdown. Using one of those surface roads will save me about 5 mins during bad freeway traffic.

I did a rare thing yesterday and took the 1-10 HOV. Got on right at 6 pm and was at the Grand Parkway light at 6:30. Is that usual for the HOV? If so, commuting might not be so bad it you carpool every day.

Saw how the other half lives out on Rossner Road. Something Lakes Point. Amazing. The homes are around a pretty big lake, 1-acre lots, minimum 7,000 sg ft(guessing) mediterranean style houses. All I could think was, this is the kind of place Tony Soprano would live. The SARS-mask guy lives across the lake from my boss. Some of the houses have big wooden docks on the fake lake, with big sloping lawns from their pools down to the water. Wow.

Who is the SARS-mask guy?

Some guy who invented a special face-mask to keep SARS away. Or at least I've been told. As the lore has it, a single, not quite 40 year old guy who never has to work again. Could have sworn I saw him mentioned on HAIF a time or two.

About 1.5 miles but takes 5 to sometimes 10 minutes to drive right before 9 and right after 5. The worst part (the two to three minute lull) is the light at Richmond and Montrose :rolleyes:

About 1.5 miles but takes 5 to sometimes 10 minutes to drive right before 9 and right after 5. The worst part (the two to three minute lull) is the light at Richmond and Montrose :rolleyes:

Ah, but that allows you time to really get to know the panhandlers who are always hanging out at that intersection. <_<

South Union to Westchase - 17 miles in approx 15-20 minutes, regardless of what time I leave (anytime between 7 am and 9 am). Same for the ride home...unless I leave work early for some reason (before 7pm), at which time inbound traffic on 59 sucks. The reverse commute is a good thing.

Worst part of the ride in the morning is the 5-7 minute drive up 288 to 59.

Worst part of the ride in the evening is having to drive through 3 traffic lights.

Do you have a helicopter or a hovercraft? You are saying from the 288 and 59 interchange you at your workplace in 9 to 14 minutes in the morning in the Westchase District. And anytime between 7 and 9 AM.

Using the trip computer in my car, I see:

Eastwood to Williams Tower (around 8AM): 13-15 min

Williams Tower to Eastwood (around 5.30-6PM): 20-30 min

The evening backup on 59 northbound near the downtown spur is maddening. Morning rush is usually very nice.

Occasionally I go to an office downtown and what used to take 5-7 minutes from Eastwood now takes 10-12 minutes since the downtown lights were retimed. Crosstown lights are a complete mess all of the time now.

Do you have a helicopter or a hovercraft? You are saying from the 288 and 59 interchange you at your workplace in 9 to 14 minutes in the morning in the Westchase District. And anytime between 7 and 9 AM.

No, I drive a car.

13 miles in 9-14 minutes on the freeway is pretty easy. That's an average of 55mph-85 mph (although I usually don't go over 75 mph anymore, to save gas.)

The SW Freeway outbound is wide open in the morning, as is the Westpark Tollway. I'm one block off of the intersection of Westpark Tollway and Beltway 8, so it does take me a minute or two to get to the office once I hit the stoplight at the Beltway.

No, I drive a car.

13 miles in 9-14 minutes on the freeway is pretty easy. That's an average of 55mph-85 mph (although I usually don't go over 75 mph anymore, to save gas.)

The SW Freeway outbound is wide open in the morning, as is the Westpark Tollway. I'm one block off of the intersection of Westpark Tollway and Beltway 8, so it does take me a minute or two to get to the office once I hit the stoplight at the Beltway.

My job is one block off the intersection of the Wespark Tollway and Beltway 8 also. I come from Memorial Drive around Gessner. It's exactly 5.5 miles and takes around 20 minutes in the morning and anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the afternnon.

I have a tough 30 second commute from my bedroom to my home office :lol:

But when I do occasionally go into the corporate office near I-10 and Eldridge, it is usually between 25 to 45 minutes from my house in Midtown. The afternoon rush hour is almost always much worse, taking as long as 1 hour 15 minutes. I don't know why there are so many more cars in the evening rush hour vs. the morning rush hour.

about 20 mins, depending on if I use my bike to supplement or not.

half mile walk to mcgowen station, about 10 minutes on train to north TMC station, a few more blocks to my office.

Cinco Ranch west of 99 to Westchase district (Westheimer and Walnut Bend) - 19 miles and 25 minutes on the Westpark Tollway. (leaving between 6 and 6:15 in the morning and 6:00 in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived