The Shops At Oak Forest Shopping Center At 1335 W. 43rd St.

MarthaG

I just spoke with someone at Page Partners about the project on West 43rd. He assured me the project is still going on..but they had some delays. Hopefully they will be breaking ground in a few weeks.

Here is the website. http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/43rdEl..._Ella_Flyer.pdf

I hope this will be a huge success. We could sure use more shopping and restaurants in this up and coming neighborhood.

I just spoke with someone at Page Partners about the project on West 43rd. He assured me the project is still going on..but they had some delays. Hopefully they will be breaking ground in a few weeks.

Here is the website. http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/43rdEl..._Ella_Flyer.pdf

I hope this will be a huge success. We could sure use more shopping and restaurants in this up and coming neighborhood.

great link, thanks for posting it!!. i pass by this area at time cuz i'm eyeballing a house in candlelight plaza and i always wondered what was going on at that site. after seeing this thread i think i'll pass by there today :)

Yay! Looks like the same type of strip center you'd see in Katy or Kingwood or Tomball or The Woodlands or....

Agreed, but that area desperately needs more retail and neighborhood cafes. When I lived in Garden Oaks and Oak Forest I had to drive to Heights or Montrose for many, many things. It seems like I spent most of my time driving on Shepherd and Durham. Hopefully, they'll lease to some interesting retailers, not just dry cleaners or nail salons.

Agreed, but that area desperately needs more retail and neighborhood cafes. When I lived in Garden Oaks and Oak Forest I had to drive to Heights or Montrose for many, many things. It seems like I spent most of my time driving on Shepherd and Durham. Hopefully, they'll lease to some interesting retailers, not just dry cleaners or nail salons.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree we need more retail, but no neighborhood in Houston needs more of these types of eyesores. This has a real chance to become a (relatively) pedestrian-friendly area, but we just get more bland centers with vast parking lots. But I'm not bitter.....

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some interesting tenants.

Guest danax
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree we need more retail, but no neighborhood in Houston needs more of these types of eyesores. This has a real chance to become a (relatively) pedestrian-friendly area, but we just get more bland centers with vast parking lots. But I'm not bitter.....

You might not be bitter, but the hacks that are assigned to design these bland, beige blocks of boxes must be suicidal. As for pedestrian friendly.........that doesn't even happen in Midtown. Let's all finally face it, 75% of all pedestrians in Houston are homeless. Pedestrian friendly here would really be a place to park your shopping cart with individual panhandling stalls along the sidewalk, and maybe a cubby next to each one to lay down in at night, and maybe a drain on the side for urinating. :o

Oak Forest has always been suburban anyway, now it's just becoming a McMansion burb. I would like to see the bike trails extend up there so some of the residents can take advantage of their non-commute and bike to work.

Still have to deal with rainy weather though.

63cyqtk.jpg

You might not be bitter, but the hacks that are assigned to design these bland, beige blocks of boxes must be suicidal. As for pedestrian friendly.........that doesn't even happen in Midtown. Let's all finally face it, 75% of all pedestrians in Houston are homeless. Pedestrian friendly here would really be a place to park your shopping cart with individual panhandling stalls along the sidewalk, and maybe a cubby next to each one to lay down in at night, and maybe a drain on the side for urinating. :o

Oak Forest has always been suburban anyway, now it's just becoming a McMansion burb. I would like to see the bike trails extend up there so some of the residents can take advantage of their non-commute and bike to work.

63cyqtk.jpg

HILARIOUS :lol: I needed a laugh.

so how does rebuilding one shopping center make oak forest pedestrian friendly?

I love Oak Forest, but its not really a pedestrian-friendly area unless you like long walks. And nothing they built on this little site would change that.

Rumour is Starbucks is going in the center, fwiw.

Thanks again for the info, Martha. I look forward to the rebirth of this stretch of 43rd.

here's another post on this.

That has nothing to do with the topic-it's periphial at best.

63cyqtk.jpg

It rains every where. OF has always been walkable. It was walkable when I was a kid and it's walkable now. Does a less than 10 minute walk to a Kroger, Walgreens, HP Library, two elementary schools, a middle school and a high school, theatre, dentist, eye doctor or Palais Royal make it less walkable? It's only an unwalkable neighborhood to a bunch of couch slugs who choose to be... couch slugs?

HILARIOUS :lol: I needed a laugh.

so how does rebuilding one shopping center make oak forest pedestrian friendly?

It's always been pedestrian friendly. So rebuilding a small part only reinforces it's viability as a pedestrian friendly neighborhood. It might even force the city to expand the 43rd Street library to accomodate even more pedestrians-especially kids.

Thanks again for the info, Martha. I look forward to the rebirth of this stretch of 43rd.

That has nothing to do with the topic-it's periphial at best.

It rains every where. OF has always been walkable. It was walkable when I was a kid and it's walkable now. Does a less than 10 minute walk to a Kroger, Walgreens, HP Library, two elementary schools, a middle school and a high school, theatre, dentist, eye doctor or Palais Royal make it less walkable? It's only an unwalkable neighborhood to a bunch of couch slugs who choose to be... couch slugs?

It's always been pedestrian friendly. So rebuilding a small part only reinforces it's viability as a pedestrian friendly neighborhood. It might even force the city to expand the 43rd Street library to accomodate even more pedestrians-especially kids.

Agree nmainguy... there are several places you can get to in a 10-15 min walk. And if someoe came into the neighborhood, they would actually see people out walking. And the area is bike friendly as well. The bike trail along the bayou is used, as well as Oak Forest Blvd., being wide enough to support both bike and vehicles. OF has a lot more to offer than most peope give it credit for.

I do have to comment on whoever's statement about the "mcmansions". Yes, we have a few... but the trend now for new houses are ones that blend better with the landscape of the other homes. Unlike Garden Oaks where there are "mansions" next to tiny houses.

The guy I talked to at Page Partners said they have talked with Banks, Restaurants, and Service businesses about leasing. He could not tell me if he actually had leases yet. I hope Services doe not mean Nails and Dry Cleaners as someone mentioned...as we have those already on that corner..and we certainly do not need another Bank. He did say that Hallmark will NOT be coming back. I hope Radio Shack come back. I forgot to ask.

We do need more places to eat...especially in that shopping area. Now there is Pizza Hut and Subway... Big Deal!

Anything will be an improvement over the center they tore down. Poor thing had died many years ago.

according to the current resident's quote "This has a real chance to become a (relatively) pedestrian-friendly area," it isn't. so expanding a library on a busy street makes it pedestrian friendly? :wacko:

it isn't. so expanding a library on a busy street makes it pedestrian friendly? :wacko:

I know you get it but I don't know why you continue to play your little baiting game. Are you really theniche disquised as the ambiguous fairy?

according to the current resident's quote "This has a real chance to become a (relatively) pedestrian-friendly area," it isn't. so expanding a library on a busy street makes it pedestrian friendly? :wacko:

Note the "relatively" in my original statement. By "relatively" I meant you can walk around the neighborhood (go to the grocery store, stroll to a park, walk to a friend's house) and have a decent network to do so, whether it be on sidewalks or on low traffic side streets. There are not many areas in Houston where you can do so safely, so why not utilize and expand upon this great feature in new construction?

What would make it more pedestrian friendly? Why not build the shops closer to the sidewalk and put parking in the back, instead of a giant parking lot facing the street? Why not build the center with a design more fitting of the neighborhood (make it a DESTINATION), instead of repeating the same thing you find a million times over throughout the city (i.e. beige stucco)?

I think the neighborhood has great accessibility to the rest of the city by bike, so no complaints there. The White Oak Bayou trail gets you near Washington and T.C. Jester, and from there any area inside the loop is easy to access.

No it doesn't.

Care to expand?

Note the "relatively" in my original statement. By "relatively" I meant you can walk around the neighborhood (go to the grocery store, stroll to a park, walk to a friend's house) and have a decent network to do so, whether it be on sidewalks or on low traffic side streets. There are not many areas in Houston where you can do so safely, so why not utilize and expand upon this great feature in new construction?

What would make it more pedestrian friendly? Why not build the shops closer to the sidewalk and put parking in the back, instead of a giant parking lot facing the street? Why not build the center with a design more fitting of the neighborhood (make it a DESTINATION), instead of repeating the same thing you find a million times over throughout the city (i.e. beige stucco)?

I think the neighborhood has great accessibility to the rest of the city by bike, so no complaints there. The White Oak Bayou trail gets you near Washington and T.C. Jester, and from there any area inside the loop is easy to access.

Agreed. Also a larger, better stocked library would bring more pedestrians from OF Elementary, Black, Waltrip and the neighborhood in general inspite of music's somewhat confusing mumble.

Guest danax

We all know that the developers are trying to attract as many shoppers as possible, and they know that 99% of the potential shoppers at this place own cars. Building anything contrary to car friendly would represent unwarranted risk and expense. Parking in the rear is no big deal to some of us but people can be fussy about silly things like that. Look how aggressive some folks get just competing for a parking space closer to the front door.

Are they correct in their thinking? I'm not sure. I tend to think like you that making it intentionally "ped-friendly" with a more attractive design would attract even more people from a wider area.

Note the "relatively" in my original statement. By "relatively" I meant you can walk around the neighborhood (go to the grocery store, stroll to a park, walk to a friend's house) and have a decent network to do so, whether it be on sidewalks or on low traffic side streets.
But don't you have the same option now? building the shopping center doesn't change whether you can walk around the hood, stroll to the park or walk to a friend's house.

So currently the houses are away from the corner (behind the stores) with the stores near the corner of 43rd and ella. So building the shopping center even closer to the corner makes walking from your house which is farther from the corner easier to do?? that isn't more pedestrian friendly to me. with with parking in back, if you're walking from your house (which is behind the store), you have to walk by/thru the parking lot to get to the stores. that isn't pedestian friendly either. generically placing a building near the street isn't necessarily pedestrian friendly. it is all dependent on the surroundings as to whether it is pedestrian friendly.

But don't you have the same option now? building the shopping center doesn't change whether you can walk around the hood, stroll to the park or walk to a friend's house.

Wow.......I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Yes, I have the same option, regardless of the construction of the new center. But (let's go back to my original post), why not make it MORE pedestrian friendly, while making the area more attractive to a wider audience?

We all know that the developers are trying to attract as many shoppers as possible, and they know that 99% of the potential shoppers at this place own cars.

And putting in wider pedestrian-friendly sidewalks reduces the number of parking spaces available. On most Houston sidewalks you can hardly walk next to someone without it being uncomfortably close.

So currently the houses are away from the corner (behind the stores) with the stores near the corner of 43rd and ella. So building the shopping center even closer to the corner makes walking from your house which is farther from the corner easier to do?? that isn't more pedestrian friendly to me. with with parking in back, if you're walking from your house (which is behind the store), you have to walk by/thru the parking lot to get to the stores. that isn't pedestian friendly either. generically placing a building near the street isn't necessarily pedestrian friendly. it is all dependent on the surroundings as to whether it is pedestrian friendly.

My house is not behind the store, so I'm not sure how much sway your argument holds at this point

Wow.......I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Yes, I have the same option, regardless of the construction of the new center. But (let's go back to my original post), why not make it MORE pedestrian friendly, while making the area more attractive to a wider audience?

no prob. you said "This has a real chance to become a (relatively) pedestrian-friendly area" to me you're saying saying it isn't pedestrian friendly currently but with the changes at the center the area will become pedestrian friendly. They are only making changes to the center itself not to neighboring hoods.

for this particular shopping center (and the other three corners), most pedestrians will be coming from neighboring hoods which are farther from the corner than the centers. the remainder will be coming from buses which will drop them off at the corner. moving the businesses to the corner will be better for those riding the bus, but for the people from the hood who are pedestrians, it will make their walk farther. and with parking lots in the rear, they (neighborhood residents) will have to walk through/by the parking lot to get to the store. that isn't pedestrian friendly

for drivers, parking in the front or rear most likely won't be a big difference, but for those living directly behind the centers may be faced with additional noise due to the parking lot now abutting their backyards.

Also a larger, better stocked library would bring more pedestrians from OF Elementary, Black, Waltrip and the neighborhood in general inspite of music's somewhat confusing mumble.

pedestrian friendly means sidewalks, entire areas are built to encourage walking/biking, etc and easy access. putting in more books in a library isn't being pedestrian friendly. that's like saying putting in a larger kroger with more options is pedestrian friendly.

There aren't. But Oak Forest is more than the area behind the stores.

i was limiting myself to the shops of oak forest area.

for this particular shopping center (and the other three corners), most pedestrians will be coming from neighboring hoods which are farther from the corner than the centers. the remainder will be coming from buses which will drop them off at the corner. moving the businesses to the corner will be better for those riding the bus, but for the people from the hood who are pedestrians, it will make their walk farther. and with parking lots in the rear, they (neighborhood residents) will have to walk through/by the parking lot to get to the store. that isn't pedestrian friendly

Walking further is a silly argument. The development is pretty much in the middle of OF/GO. Half of OF would have to walk through the parking lot, and half would not....regardless of where the parking lot is placed.

Making it more "pedestrian friendly" as far as this development is concerned is about aesthetics more than anything else.

Thats the Hard cold truth about Houston, unless there is alot of pedestrian freindly activty centers, even if built Up to the sidewalks with parking lots in the back, most car traffic would pass it up to find a store with parking up front. Hopefully Houston can adapt as the city grows, but adapting hapens over time.

Making it more "pedestrian friendly" as far as this development is concerned is about aesthetics more than anything else.

i can agree with this. that why i say pedestrian friendly involves more than a shopping center, it is more area wide.

Archived