Piccadilly Cafeteria

mkultra25

Highrise Tower
This post was recognized by Highrise Tower!

mkultra25 was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 1000 points.

I just noticed yesterday that the Piccadilly Cafeteria at Northline Mall had closed. Since the Northwest Mall location closed, I thought that the Northline one was the last remaining Piccadilly in Houston, but I see from their website that there's still one at Almeda Mall and another one at 7750 W. Bellfort.

Before the Northwest Mall location closed, a cashier told me that particular closure was the result of a corporate restructuring, and they weren't doing enough business to escape the ax. But the Northline one always seemed to be packing them in. I'm saddened to see it go, because it was the first cafeteria I can remember eating at as a child, and their food was generally better than most of their competitors. It had been in continuous operation there for close to forty years, and with the possible exception of the TSO store, it was the last remaining vestige of the old Northline of the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

I go to the one on W. Bellfort pretty regularly. Some of the workers from the Northline location were transferred there after it closed, so some of the dishes that you could only find at Northline, such as hot water cornbread, are now at W. Bellfort.

• Like 1

I just noticed yesterday that the Piccadilly Cafeteria at Northline Mall had closed. Since the Northwest Mall location closed, I thought that the Northline one was the last remaining Piccadilly in Houston, but I see from their website that there's still one at Almeda Mall and another one at 7750 W. Bellfort.

Before the Northwest Mall location closed, a cashier told me that particular closure was the result of a corporate restructuring, and they weren't doing enough business to escape the ax. But the Northline one always seemed to be packing them in. I'm saddened to see it go, because it was the first cafeteria I can remember eating at as a child, and their food was generally better than most of their competitors. It had been in continuous operation there for close to forty years, and with the possible exception of the TSO store, it was the last remaining vestige of the old Northline of the 60s and 70s.

that closed quite a while ago as the result of the ed wulfe takeover of northline. the theater is history too.

that closed quite a while ago as the result of the ed wulfe takeover of northline. the theater is history too.

That's what I suspected, given that the mall's going to be demolished. I was wondering if they'd keep the theater or not.

I go to the one on W. Bellfort pretty regularly. Some of the workers from the Northline location were transferred there after it closed, so some of the dishes that you could only find at Northline, such as hot water cornbread, are now at W. Bellfort.

Cool, I'll have to check that one out sometime. Thanks for the tip.

typical....I thought they would at least build a Piccadilly's building and make it more accessible to I-45 traffic...they converted those Williams Chickens off I-45 and the one on West Montgomery (Acres Homes) to Frenchey's and folks flock to those places after ignoring it as Williams

The Magic Johnson Theatre wasn't half bad also.....it was one of the better ones in town in terms of amenities

only in Houston with 4 million people they find ways to destroy things and let it fade away....and knowing what they are going to out there with the strip center, you'll see alot of niche businesses catered to the hispanic market and that will keep the blacks and whites from going there on a fulltime basis...mock my words...more taqueria joes, boost mobile, money wiring, etc., etc.

I wonder would Piccadilly invest in a Greenspoint location on the mall lot since the area from Greenspoint to 1960 is predominately black now and contain alot of residents from the 610 area who grew up on it? Add that and the Greenspoint work traffic and you got a winner...

Ooops I have a feeling this topic is about to be merged.

The Piccadilly at Gulfgate closed around 1995 (I think) mall was demolished shortly after. That particular one used to pack em in too. It was the norm to eat there after shopping. When I think of today's prices that places was one hell of a bargain. Others like Luby's have totally lost the premise of why they are there. Prices so outrageous you may as well hit a nearby buffet. It's the seniors I feel for. This is why they used to hang out at most cafeterias the reasonable prices. Piccadilly was so good for their turkey and white rice and brown gravy & hot biscuits. Yum. The atmosphere was always very pleasant too. Almeda still has theirs (for now). :D

Guest danax
only in Houston with 4 million people they find ways to destroy things and let it fade away....and knowing what they are going to out there with the strip center, you'll see alot of niche businesses catered to the hispanic market and that will keep the blacks and whites from going there on a fulltime basis...mock my words...more taqueria joes, boost mobile, money wiring, etc., etc.

It'll be very similar to Gulfgate and M. Johnson's Theater might relocate to the new Northline. We've got a thread on the future Northline here and it would be preferrable to continue with that one as far as discussing Northline in general, and not just Piccadilly.

I also frequent the Piccadilly on W. Bellfort and have noticed differences, particularly in the past year. The most obvious personally being no longer having the large cod fish available. What was once known as the small/kid size cod is now classified as the large, and the difference is huge.

The food is still great, but the "set" menu (which coincidentally happened when Luby's switched to a set menu), the change in my favorite food item there, the smaller take-out containters, and several other changes, have made me frequent it less than I once did. But even with that, I still think it has the best cafeterria style food in Houston.

The Piccadilly at Gulfgate closed around 1995 (I think) mall was demolished shortly after. That particular one used to pack em in too.

It was actually around late 2000 or early 2001 when the Gulfgate Piccadilly closed.

the theater is history too.

You mean the Magic Johnson theatre? Is the whole mall closing?

I also frequent the Piccadilly on W. Bellfort and have noticed differences, particularly in the past year. The most obvious personally being no longer having the large cod fish available. What was once known as the small/kid size cod is now classified as the large, and the difference is huge.

The food is still great, but the "set" menu (which coincidentally happened when Luby's switched to a set menu), the change in my favorite food item there, the smaller take-out containters, and several other changes, have made me frequent it less than I once did. But even with that, I still think it has the best cafeterria style food in Houston.

I had never eaten there until last year and was kinda surprised I'd never eaten there before (I guess, all I knew was Luby's). While some of the dishes were uneven, all in all it was a pretty good meal.

You mean the Magic Johnson theatre? Is the whole mall closing?
yes a la ed wulfe redevelopment. it will be dozed completely and redeveloped. my aunt told me that the few remaining stores will move to their new place when the replacement location(s) are completed and then the remaining part of the mall will be razed.

The Piccadilly in Memorial City was, at least to me, legendary. The food seemed a notch above standard cafeteria food. It was often spicy, Louisiana-style (They had great gumbo). Always lots of variety.

One of my friends Dad died, and after the service we all met at Piccadilly, because that was where his Mom and Dad hung out. It was kind of a neighborhood meeting place.

Anyway, the Pic is long gone from Memorial City, but for it's last years it was forced to coexist with a new Luby's, located elsewhere in the mall. No respect!

Albritton's off 59 South where Steak Country is now was pretty good...I ate there as a kid but I think when the owner got shot the cafateria faded away

Piccadilly's and the Wyatts on Griggs are the only places to still serve strawberry and bananas....as for cod fish, I prefer lubys but Picadilly's offers "down home" food while Luby's is beginning to cater to a health-concious crowd that leans toward the West Coast as they offer more lemon pepper chicken and fish dishes along with fresh vegetables...

The all-you-can eat Luby's are worth the bargain though

yes a la ed wulfe redevelopment. it will be dozed completely and redeveloped. my aunt told me that the few remaining stores will move to their new place when the replacement location(s) are completed and then the remaining part of the mall will be razed.

And not to derail the thread (and it might) but this is also the mall where the train (rapid bus or whatever Metro comes up with) will have a major hub, correct?

• The title was changed to Piccadilly Cafeteria