Forum Cafeteria At 816 Main St.

silverartfox

In the 1940's - 50's, there was a downtown cafeteria called The Forum. I can't remember where it was located, but it had a High Art Deco interior. The walls were covered with colored opaque and mirrored glass murals - not glass mosaics, but large sheets of glass arranged to depict a country scene with mountains and cypress trees. There was a ground floor and a mezzanine; customers actually climbed the stairs with their trays. The newel post was topped by a tall chrome and red glass light fixture - very theatrical, unlike anything else in town.

Given the fact that the interior was Art Deco and there was little new commercial construction during WWII, it must have been built in the 1920's - 1930's. As I recall, my folks didn't think much of the food, but I loved the decor. It sure would be great to see a picture of that place!

At this link it mentions that the Forum Cafeteria was on Main, not far from the high school. On my 1941 "Downtowner" map "The Forum" is shown on the ground floor of the San Jacinto hotel, adjacent to Battlesteins. Was that the place? Sorry I don't have any pictures though.

Thank you! That's the place, all right! Perhaps in due time a photo of that unique interior will turn up.

The website you mentioned was really interesting and reminded me of my own childhood in the East End. My family moved "out" to Bellaire in the mid-1950's.

• The title was changed to Forum Cafeteria At 816 Main St.

Archived