Supertalls here in Houston

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Houston has some tall buildings, some of the tallest around. WIlliams-Transco os the tallest in the US away from a Downtown.

While we have WIlliams and CHase Tower we have no reallyt all one's. Our tallest building may be 80 or 90 stories but they's got one's in New York and Chicago that go o 120. I'm talking about The Empire State Building, Twin Towers, and Sears Tower.

Then you've got The Petronas,and Tapei 101 overseas.

WHen will or will Houston ever get such gigantic buildings? DOwn't know if there's any space DOwntown. ALthought Houston has a suburban landscape it would really give rise to ur skyline. Although you may think I'm over wishing that's not that tall TGHe Japanese and places where ther's a highly compacted population are looking at buildings up tp 500 stories tall. These would be megasky cities with enetrtainment, resteraunts, offices,a nd residencies. SOme evven call for a parj ontop.

WHile Houston would probrably never build or need anythinglike this in the next 90 years have you heard anyplans for some Twin Tower like skyscrapers?

WHile Houston would probrably never build or need anythinglike this in the next 90 years have you heard anyplans for some Twin Tower like skyscrapers?

Historically, these things don't tend to come about without a lot of public-sector involvement, or alternatively, irrational exuberance. Houston's period of exuberance was in the 70's and 80's. Barring the complete and utter devastation of multiple oil-producing countries at nearly-simultaneous points in time, I don't think we're ever likely to see that happen again, much less a boom of the sort that would produce super-talls.

I would submit to you that the best chance that we've got at anything of that height would be the death of an oil tycoon that has nothing better to do with his money than to build a monument unto himself. Stranger things have happened, but I'm going to place the odds at <1% for the next half-century.

Our tallest building may be 80 or 90 stories but they's got one's in New York and Chicago that go o 120. I'm talking about The Empire State Building, Twin Towers, and Sears Tower.

Then you've got The Petronas,and Tapei 101 overseas.

Just for the record, there are not now, nor have there ever been, any buildings in New York or Chicago that go to 120 floors.

(Empire State is 102; Twin Towers were 110; Sears Tower is 108. In fact, it appears that there has never been a building with 120 floors anywhere in the world. Sears Tower (with 108) has the most floors of any current building. Apparently the Twin Towers at 110, still hold the record of having had the most floors.)

Edit: More interesting trivia: Chase Tower is the 31st tallest building in the world. There are only 19 buildings in the world that have more floors than Chase's 75.

Just for the record, there are not now, nor have there ever been, any buildings in New York or Chicago that go to 120 floors.

(Empire State is 102; Twin Towers were 110; Sears Tower is 108. In fact, it appears that there has never been a building with 120 floors anywhere in the world. Sears Tower (with 108) has the most floors of any current building. Apparently the Twin Towers at 110, still hold the record of having had the most floors.)

Edit: More interesting trivia: Chase Tower is the 31st tallest building in the world. There are only 19 buildings in the world that have more floors than Chase's 75.

For what it's worth, a couple of days ago the Burj Dubai tied the Sears Tower for height, though I don't think for the number of floors.

On Wednesday, Chicago's city council is expected to give the final approval for the Chicago Spire which will be 124 floors if built.

ChicagoSpire-004.jpg

(Also for trivia purposes, the building I lived in until last week is the shiny one on the far left.)

Guest Plastic

Wrong there are none 120 floors but the Twin Towers were around 120 stories tall. SO a story doesn't always equall a floor. In most cases seems to be that a story is less that a floor.

size isn't everything.

Not true. :lol:

But seriously, what about the question of "why shouldn't Houston have supertalls"? Wasn't there going to be a supertall built in the late 80s called the Shamrock or something?

Wrong there are none 120 floors but the Twin Towers were around 120 stories tall. SO a story doesn't always equall a floor. In most cases seems to be that a story is less that a floor.

Post your pointless threads in a different section please.

I guess my question is, does the market have a need for a supertall here or elsewhere?

I guess my question is, why is a new topic about a "what if" subject again placed in the Going Up! section.

What the &@^$#&^$# are you talking about?

The Twin Towers were 110 stories. Look it up.

Guest Plastic

Maybe it was Sears Tower that was close to 120.

ANyway the new Twin Towerss should be. They are thought to be the tallest buildings in the world when compleed.

Let me see if I understand this... (a summery)

1. A story is less that a floor. (in most cases)

2. There are none 120 floors but the Twin Towers were around 120 stories tall.

3. Our tallest building may be 80 or 90 stories but they's got one's in New York and Chicago that go o 120.

4. DOwn't know if there's any space DOwntown.

5. The new twin towerss should be.

This all seems perfectly logical and clear to me. Here are some questions that only Plastic can answer.

1. How much less is a story that a floor?

2. If some are 120 floors then how come none are 120 stories tall?

3. What is the name of our 80 or 90 stories ones?

4. Which has less space DOwntown or Eastside or Southside?

5. How tall will be the new twin towerss?

ANyway the new Twin Towerssshould be. They are thought to be the tallest buildings in the world when compleed.

There will not be new TWIN TOWERS in the proposed developement! :blink:

The Freedom Tower is a single tall building that is sharing the lot with (4) other towers in the project. The Freedom Tower does no even look like the other buildings.

The Burj Dubai is taller (final height is still a secret), will be completed before the Freedom Tower. The Freedom Tower will never be the tallest building in the world.

In this same thread, Editor already explain that this and the Chicago Spire, which is taller, will also be completed before the Freedom Tower as well.

Do you even read other people's posts before you answer . . . ? :huh:

ANyway the new Twin Towerss should be. They are thought to be the tallest buildings in the world when compleed.

LMAO No. Wrong again, Einstein. Sears Tower (which, by the way, still exists) is 108 stories. Look it up.

(And FWIW, I don't have the slightest idea WHAT you are talking about in those last two sentences... )

(And FWIW, I don't have the slightest idea WHAT you are talking about in those last two sentences... )

Join the club, I think we need a Plastic translation page and a separate forum for his posts for people to decipher.

It is just nuts in his threads.

I think he could give an old fart a heart attack with the frustration his posts causes.

They don't make sense; both the subject matter, the responses, and the dialog he uses.

Nothing. . . :(

Yet somehow they always get a lot of responses. When Plastic talks, people listen. Go figure.

He starts the most new topics. . .that's why.

Any people gravitate to the new topics that are easy to pick up.

Almost a new topic is started from him once or twice a week.

Mind you in the wrong places.

This one about Supertalls, is just beyond unnecessary.

Montrose1100 said it best, lay off the drugs.

I guess my question is, why is a new topic about a "what if" subject again placed in the Going Up! section.

Sorry, couldn't get to it earlier to move. If you PM the mods or report the post it is no problem to move things.

Sorry, couldn't get to it earlier to move. If you PM the mods or report the post it is no problem to move things.

I'm closing this thread. It's pointles. And Plastic, please don't post unless you have something rational to say.

• The topic was unlocked

Archived