Market Square Park At 301 Milam St.

TheNiche

Market Square  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Market Square is attractive in its current state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. Do you think that it could reasonably be improved upon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. If you responded 'Yes' to question #2, how would you improve it?

• Add more trees/shrubs
    • Add more benches
    • Add picnic tables
    • Allow a few concession stands
    • Add a small restaurant with window orders (similar to Champ Burger or Someburger)
    • Add a playground
    • Add a dog trot
    • Add a pond
    • Add one or multiple small fountains
    • Add one central large fountain
    • Other, please explain

Would it be possible for the city to acquire weekend rights to part of the parking lot? I assume that these lots make most of their money during the weekdays. If the city bought weekend rights to the 1/3 of the parking lot closest to the park, they could make some simple improvements (like brick paving and a few trees), and use this area for weekend events such as a farmer's market or occasional festivals. Preston could be temporarily closed during these weekend events and possibly even be used as a location for marker/festival booths.

The rest of the parking lot would still be parking, and it might even make more money when there were weekend events at the park. The whole lot would still be used for parking during weekdays.

One flaw with this is that I assume that most downtown parking lot owners would sell their lots immediately if a buyer offered the right price. I don't know how they would arrange a lease to the city while still maintaining this sales flexibility. Of course, with the current market, they might take a little short-term lease money from the city rather than holding out for a big sale.

This also would involve the city either spending money or figuring out some other way to fund the project. Does anyone know the owner of the parking lot? Is there any chance that something like this (with pretty minimal up-front costs) could be financed privately? The city could arrange to close the street during events, provide security, and maybe accept some liability, and the owner would organize events that allow him to get some return on any improvements or time invested.

Just a thought.

If I'm thinking of the right place, one of the unique aspects of this space, to me, is the integration of the floors of whatever buildings used to sit there in the walkway.

I don't particularly care how this space is updated, but I hope that they can retain this unique feature of this greenspace!

Edited by samagon

It needs tables under the trees. People use the pocket park at Capitol and Milam like crazy, especially for lunch. They also use the sitting area in front of Jones Hall. For some reason, Jones Plaza and Market Square are underutilized. I think providing a place for someone to eat their lunch would greatly increase its usage.

It needs tables under the trees. People use the pocket park at Capitol and Milam like crazy, especially for lunch. They also use the sitting area in front of Jones Hall. For some reason, Jones Plaza and Market Square are underutilized. I think providing a place for someone to eat their lunch would greatly increase its usage.

this one?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/Buildi...nChase_Park.php

That would be sort of neat for future buildings to include small parks like this, too.

This also would involve the city either spending money or figuring out some other way to fund the project.

with the city having to float >20million in bonds to meet their current retirement obligations, not sure a proposal such as yours would be achievable currently. there are still proposals out there to start charging for parking on sunday downtown according to a couple of business owners i know.

this one?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/Buildi...nChase_Park.php

That would be sort of neat for future buildings to include small parks like this, too.

That's it. The Brown Bag Deli is adjacent, so you can grab a sandwich and then grab an outside table. I did it just last week.

Music, this city has so may generous endowments, etc. I'm sure we could manage to drum up some private contributors for Market Square. I mean really, it's the centerpiece of old Houston.

with the city having to float >20million in bonds to meet their current retirement obligations, not sure a proposal such as yours would be achievable currently. there are still proposals out there to start charging for parking on sunday downtown according to a couple of business owners i know.

Why don't they charge for parking on Sundays? I mean they already do every other day of the week.

Why don't they charge for parking on Sundays? I mean they already do every other day of the week.

most business owners were adamantly against metered parking, esp on slower periods like weekend days. just yet another reason not to go downtown.

there was also talk in the last 6 months or so to lengthen period til later in the evening weekdays to which many businesses owners said no esp because of the two hr limit implemented in the last yr or so. it makes it difficult for people to have dinner and some drinks somewhere without having to worry about moving your car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It seems like they're trying to create a considerable amount in that one block. It would be great if they could extend it to the next block south. They could replace the current surface lot with underground parking. Maybe the major foundations could take a stake in such a project. Ooo! They could rename it Deja Vu Green!

It seems like they're trying to create a considerable amount in that one block. It would be great if they could extend it to the next block south. They could replace the current surface lot with underground parking. Maybe the major foundations could take a stake in such a project. Ooo! They could rename it Deja Vu Green!

hahaha

one of the cool things I liked about the current Market Square was that they incorporated the tile floors of older building in the walkways, a very subtle nod to the history of Houston, if they lose that, we'll be losing out on that bit of history.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell, but it would be nice if they could keep the existing trees in place. "Lauren's Garden" is a "contemplative area".

I liked the old Market Square pre the current version. Nothing there that I recall except for a knoll near the north side. The small hill managed to draw its share of sunbathers and hangers-out.

• Like 1

one of the cool things I liked about the current Market Square was that they incorporated the tile floors of older building in the walkways, a very subtle nod to the history of Houston, if they lose that, we'll be losing out on that bit of history.

the historical items are nice but that sunken area has been the location of quite a few muggings. hopefully the new design will help eliminate that.

there really doesnt seem to be a captivating water feature at the proposed park.

to me, water features are what draw the people in. hint: disco greens shoot water, ponds, etc

with the problems they have with homeless taking baths (and stealing parts) in the current fountains, it's probably a good thing. it looks like the circular ones will remain.

• 1 month later...

with the problems they have with homeless taking baths (and stealing parts) in the current fountains, it's probably a good thing. it looks like the circular ones will remain.

Cop horses drink out of those too.

They removed that ugly, propeller-looking sculpture this week. I remember reading that it would be incorporated into the new park design. Maybe they are getting ready to start construction.

Not about the park, but it is Mkt Sqr.

Something is going on at the western end of the Henkle Bldg. There's paper on the windows and a permit that says something about minor restaurant remodel. I don't even recall what was in there previously. It's to the left of Les Givrals.

• 4 weeks later...

VERY COOL....

Redesign features will include a dog run and a historic walking area.

In addition, there will be a water feature dedicated to Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas, a local passenger on United Flight 93, which crashed after being taken over by hijackers during the 9/11 attacks, as well as seasonal flowers, trees and a memorial to all victims of 9/11.

Art will remain a major component in the redesign, according to a statement from Downtown District officials. The existing Market Square Park is a collaboration of artists coordinated by DiverseWorks.

The same artists — Richard Turner, Paul Hester, James Surls, Malou Flato and newcomer Ketria Scott — will incorporate some new pieces as well as update older works. Artwork in the park will be managed by the Houston Arts Alliance.

The Downtown District is negotiating with Niko Niko’s Greek & American Café to operate a small restaurant in the park with outdoor seating, a trellis providing shade and a dual plaza/performance area on the Travis Street side.

Construction is expected to begin by the end of the year and be completed in mid-2010.

Call me a bit heartless, but I don't think a 9/11 memorial isn't very fitting condidering how small the connection it is. Name it after an someone local who did something noble or an officer that died in the line of duty. Hell, name a bench after Marvin.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 2