Citizens National Bank At 402 Main St.

tigereye

Does anyone remember a Walgreens on Elgin at Main, I think? My doctor was in the red brick house on Caroline @ Elgin, and I remember going to a Walgreens a few blocks away.

When my sister & I were cleaning out after my father passed away in 1997, I looked in a box of ancient electric blankets and found a bottle of paragoric prescribed for me in 1967!! This was when some strength of it was available over the counter, so I must have been really sick. I remember that it was from that Walgreens - wish I had saved it just for the bottle. I'm sure I hid it there so I wouldn't have to take it. :P

Well, clubs will cater to certain demographics, so you're unlikely to be harassed omin the club itself.

My main problem is that the streets themselves have turns into a club of sorts itself. People just hangout to look and want to be seen. There seems to be plenty of police there, but I wish something would be done to prevent people just "hanging out".

The police seem to do an excellent job to keep the people moving, overall. I just wonder what preventive measures they spot potential troublemakers.

The HP should be interesting that it will bring a higher standard of entertainment and will both bring in and dilute the targeted demographic at some of the other crowds and will force them to improve their places to keep pace.

Actually, that's the aspect of downtown that helps keep the energy/ night scene downtown hoppin'. I like to see people outside just kickin' it or hangin' out.. In Jay'Z's words " parking lot pimpin' ".

I agree.

Parking lot pimpin' = Too cheap to go to a club = club doesn't get business = Clubs shut down due to lack of business.

furthermore -- Parking lot pimpin' = thug appearance outside the club that discourages people who might otherwise go inside. Congratulations idiots -- you've found a way to turn a $million investment in the revival of downtown into the grown-up equivilent of a skating rink. Parking lot pimpin' is profit poison.

Does anybody know why they would choose that part of downtown? Why wouldn't they choose vacant space down by Main Street Square?

There's already a CVS at Main Street Square. This area of downtown has ZERO retail outside of restaurants and bars. Plus, Preston station has a hell of a lot more residential population surrounding it than Main Street Square.

This could have been predicted 4 years ago. This is the twilight of the Downtown "scene". Faster than you can say Richmond Strip and Shepherd Plaza, the next wave of 21-25 year olds will have found a new home in Houston. Right now savvy club owners are trying to figure out where this will be so they can stake their claim, but it will not be Main Street.

This by the way is a good thing. 50 trendy nightclubs won't bring new residents to Downtown, but 50 stores like Walgreens sure will. So, while there will always be a place for a number of bars downtown and it will in time become a destination point for people with a little more money to spend that will be attracted to places like Houston pavilions, we have likely seen the zenith of the club scene downtown.

downtown just doesn't do it for me anymore...most of the clubs cater to the 20-something crowd and not enough choice in where to go. most of the clubs/ bars are the plastic studio 54 wanna-be's or hip-hop clubs. if i go, i prefer the pizza joint next door to cabo or hardrock.

although, i did go to this hip-hop club on the corner (had fenced in patio) a while back and ended up dancing with these hot twins. that was cool.

This could have been predicted 4 years ago. This is the twilight of the Downtown "scene". Faster than you can say Richmond Strip and Shepherd Plaza, the next wave of 21-25 year olds will have found a new home in Houston. Right now savvy club owners are trying to figure out where this will be so they can stake their claim, but it will not be Main Street.

This by the way is a good thing. 50 trendy nightclubs won't bring new residents to Downtown, but 50 stores like Walgreens sure will. So, while there will always be a place for a number of bars downtown and it will in time become a destination point for people with a little more money to spend that will be attracted to places like Houston pavilions, we have likely seen the zenith of the club scene downtown.

Exactly.

I feel this area is large enough for a full scale Wal-Greens including grocery section - mius the drive through of course. Sadly enough, the only way this happens is with the grand ornate architecture of the interior of this building being gutted for the bland cookie-cutter acrchitecture you would expect to find from a grocery store. That would be the real loss. Everyone associated with Mbar, myself including, have pretty much vowed never to go in there when it makes its transformation to Wal-Greens...its just goona be sad.

Walgreens may not be as insensitive as you fear. In at least one instance, they decided to put support for local historic architecture ahead of mindless development.

Preservation Success Story

The next wave will be somewhere along the University Line, I think.

had some friends down from the east coast this past year. we were at a private function in a gallery near the bar scene in downtown. people asked if we were in the "red light" district because of all the slutty looking chicks in the area. they were amazed that women dressed the way they did to go out in houston.

once the novelty wears off, and all the minors and people from pasadena hear about a club scene........it's over. the gang bangers start showing up and it's the richmond strip all over again. downtown will benefit from the club scene moving elsewhere.

:ph34r:

had some friends down from the east coast this past year. we were at a private function in a gallery near the bar scene in downtown. people asked if we were in the "red light" district because of all the slutty looking chicks in the area. they were amazed that women dressed the way they did to go out in houston.

once the novelty wears off, and all the minors and people from pasadena hear about a club scene........it's over. the gang bangers start showing up and it's the richmond strip all over again. downtown will benefit from the club scene moving elsewhere.

:ph34r:

What would be ideal if if the cops would be able discourage people just "hanging out" downtown without patronizing the bars and enforce curfew laws. I'm sure a few random checks and a few kids in jail would quickly spread the word that kids weren't allowed downtown after dark.

What would be ideal if if the cops would be able discourage people just "hanging out" downtown without patronizing the bars and enforce curfew laws. I'm sure a few random checks and a few kids in jail would quickly spread the word that kids weren't allowed downtown after dark.

i was talking to a friend yesterday that said some of the clubs lower lowered the entry age to 18. Whenever "kids" are let into clubs, they then to go down.

i was talking to a friend yesterday that said some of the clubs lower lowered the entry age to 18. Whenever "kids" are let into clubs, they then to go down.

I have to agree, when they have to resort to that, they're on their way out. There have been many times when I stopped going to clubs once they went "18 and up".

THe clubs usually close within a year after that.