wxman

All malls/shopping centers must renovate periodically or be deemed obsolete; this has been going on roughly since A/C was invented.

2027's headline: Midway proposes Fuller-esque geodesic dome to condition outdoor space of City Centre complex.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phở and bánh mì will never go out of style. And it's the best part of living in Midtown. Not only is it fantastically cheap food, it's healthy and delicious. It tastes even better if you get there on your fixie.

That's one of the great things about the United States. We integrate the best stuff from all over the world into our culture. People won't stop eating Pho, it will make it to the menu at Applebees someday.

That's one of the great things about the United States. We integrate the best stuff from all over the world into our culture. People won't stop eating Pho, it will make it to the menu at Applebees someday.

and somooow served with applewood smoked bacon and chipotles.

Every meal (or any act of consumption) is a statement, a purpose. The statement might be, "I am hungry, need food NOW, have $3 to spend. Oh look, there's a Taco Bell." It might be, "I want something greasy and indulgent tonight...with bitter beer." If there is no purpose, and if you're willing to acknowledge that similar goods are available of better quality at lower price elsewhere, then...WTF?

And as for walking, anybody can walk around pretty much anywhere if they want to. Goodness knows why anybody would want to walk around CityCentre, though. That's just so normal, it's weird. And I say that because it seems to come so naturally to the thoughtless, to those inclined to activity without purpose.

So by your rational, one might see you on a perusing the streets near petrol station? not real sure why you would do that. Taco Bell? Next. The Greyhound bus station? Good luck with that pal.

I dont know you, but you are clearly TTH. Uniquely ununique.

So by your rational, one might see you on a perusing the streets near petrol station? not real sure why you would do that. Taco Bell? Next. The Greyhound bus station? Good luck with that pal.

Actually yes! I lived and worked over that direction for a couple of years and would walk the four-mile round trip back and forth from home to Petrol Station because I thought that it was a pleasant thing to do.

As for the Taco Bell in Dickinson, when I eat there (and I do eat there), the purpose is to obtain highly-caloric inexpensive food, fast, in between client meetings and property inspections. Walking is not something that I've contemplated, just given the necessity of the circumstances. Although...to look at it on Google Earth, it does seem like if I walked down Hughes Ln. and then back to FM 517 by way of Pabst Rd., I'd find myself overlooking Dickinson Bayou and have a good number of shade trees along the way.

And the Greyhound station... I haven't had reason to visit, and it's not on the way to anything in particular (for me). I wouldn't imagine that anybody that uses the Greyhound station would have very much of a problem with walking in its vicinity. And of course, if they do, then all they have to do is keep walking. Any direction they choose is a heading away from it.

I dont know you, but you are clearly TTH. Uniquely ununique.

Those apt to confuse the word 'rational' with 'rationale' should know better than to attempt cute wordplay. If I'm uniquely anything, then you've just told me that I'm unique.

Actually, I'm not trying to be anybody or anything. I'm fairly indifferent. My motivations may be externally influenced, but they are my own. The opposite of that, I think, are zombies. They live for the sake of others or perhaps for nothing at all.

All malls/shopping centers must renovate periodically or be deemed obsolete; this has been going on roughly since A/C was invented.

2027's headline: Midway proposes Fuller-esque geodesic dome to condition outdoor space of City Centre complex.

I was thinking something along the same lines. Mine was "Citycentre townhome residents fight off marauding bands of abandoned mall enthusiasts." I figure with another oil bust Citycentre could become another Westbury square. In 30 years someone on this board will be reminiscing about how there were apartments over shops there. Then someone will go out and take a bunch of photos of the ruins and post them here.

I lived and worked over that direction for a couple of years and would walk the four-mile round trip back and forth from home to Petrol Station because I thought that it was a pleasant thing to do.

Great minds think alike? :P I walk the two miles from the bus stop and back everyday to get to work just because I think it's a pleasant thing to do. It takes me about twice as long as driving. I also like knowing that I don't need a car even though I'm a sports car fanatic.

And the Greyhound station... I haven't had reason to visit, and it's not on the way to anything in particular (for me). I wouldn't imagine that anybody that uses the Greyhound station would have very much of a problem with walking in its vicinity. And of course, if they do, then all they have to do is keep walking. Any direction they choose is a heading away from it.

I walk by the bus station and that terrible gas station across from the BMW service center quite often. You do see some crime. Lots of drug sales around there. I do exactly as you say... keep walking.

Driving thousand dollarsing sucks.

Unless its raining or just plain balmy outside. Or if you're sick. Or you have frequent or unplanned meetings away from the office. Or if you're married to someone that works nearby, you work afar, and you value your marriage over your mode of commuting.

So about the zombie thing, if sitting outside on a sunny Sunday morning watching my little girl play with kids she just met, while my wife and I eat organic egg sandwichs, drink draft beer and finish with frozen yogut, makes us a zombies. So be it.

I don't care if a 125lb, beared, hipster, wearing flanel shirts in mid July, thinks I've sold out.

Interestingly enough, many of the Europeans I've toured around town with love City Center, but maybe Europeans don't get the beauty of one story fake stucco strip malls and WalMart.

Keep it on topic folks. Any additional off-topic ramblings get deleted.

OK, back on topic.

I drive by the lot where this is being built at least once a week. The fence has been up pretty much since this thread started. If I see any progress I'll update the thread. Otherwise there's not really a lot to talk about, it's a boring 14 story office building. It's being built to give a return on investment to the owners. The return on investment is the only thing that matters.

I'm afraid we're aren't privy. Alas - the stigma of being terminally uncool. :angry:

Maybe he meant dollar<space>sign not dollar<space>sing? Clearly not hip anymore. I guess that comes with paying thousand dollarsign or dollarsing property taxes?

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing how much I-10 (Energy Corridor/Memorial City) is blowing up... They just erected the crane for the new 17 story building at Eldridge, and i know that Mak Haik has started digging on his new office building (believe it's 17 stories/not sure though) at Kirkwood as well. This area has virtually been transformed over the last five years, and there's more coming.

Amazing how much I-10 (Energy Corridor/Memorial City) is blowing up... They just erected the crane for the new 17 story building at Eldridge, and i know that Mak Haik has started digging on his new office building (believe it's 17 stories/not sure though) at Kirkwood as well. This area has virtually been transformed over the last five years, and there's more coming.

there's also a crane up on BP's campus and shell or conoco has cleared a lot of brush on the north side of I-10...

Well when you have a bunch of cookie-cutter office buildings... yeah... they will go up fast.

Why must you always be such a troll. Imo, your embarrasing to the forum. I'll give you this much though.. As much as you've beeen bashed here it doesn't seem to faze you.

Sorry for feeding him folks.

This site has lost a lot of good contributors. Shame on the webmasters for letting that troll ruin their forum with the daily barrage of pointless Houston bashing. Thank God for the 'ignore all post' option. He's the only one I've ever put on it. Normally I like to read all opinions (even if I don't agree), but after 10,000 "ughs" I think is safe to assume this person is incapable of contributing anything of value (however small) to this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like this building is just going to be a carbon copy of the one right behind it. I'm sure all they did was dust off the plans. I expect this thing to be done in no time.

But... but... they changed the little wave thing at the top! It's totally a completely different building! Right? Right...?

Archived