Regions Bank At 301 W. 11th St.

PureAuteur

Old HEB Site.. Is it just me, or is there alot of retail closing up these days in Houston?

I have noticed HEBs, Eckerd, Krogers, CVS, KMart, Service Merchandise, Toys R Us, and a few other stores close locations throughout Houston leaving empty buildings and empty strip centers.

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the building on 11th in the Heights where the HEB used to be?

Yeah,

most of the closings in this city was due to mergers or other conditions outside of the economic situation in Houston. It's not something Houston could have prevented or stopped. They were just business decisions for those companies.

• 1 year later...
I heard a rumor that the HEB on Rutland and 11th will become a bank...anyone else hear this/know anything?

I was talking to a realtor yesterday (that happens to live on your street) and she said that the property is currently owned by someone who is a primary at some bank here (I'm pretty sure it is Hibernia). Anyway, there has been talk that the bank is thinking about buying it from her as an investment and possibly developing it- but not as an actual bank- probably homes.

I was talking to a realtor yesterday (that happens to live on your street) and she said that the property is currently owned by someone who is a primary at some bank here (I'm pretty sure it is Hibernia). Anyway, there has been talk that the bank is thinking about buying it from her as an investment and possibly developing it- but not as an actual bank- probably homes.

good. maybe they can do something about the mobile home park across the street!

There was an "almost" deal to put a 24 HR Fitness in there once upon a time, but that fell through at the last minute. I heard the bank rumor too, but it seems too big a place for a bank...I've heard housing as well, condos/townhomes similar to the ones on Oxford and 11th (west of Buchanan's)

There was an "almost" deal to put a 24 HR Fitness in there once upon a time, but that fell through at the last minute. I heard the bank rumor too, but it seems too big a place for a bank...I've heard housing as well, condos/townhomes similar to the ones on Oxford and 11th (west of Buchanan's)

I knew it! When that builing was erected some 20 years ago, they took out approx. 12-15 homes. Now, they are going to put homes there once again. Circle of life!

• 2 months later...

Any all-knowing HAIFers have info on what might be happening there?

Part of me hopes someone like Allegro bought it and is sinking a bunch of money in to making that huge lot residential. Then, it ties up a lot of their funding and they take a break from tearing down bungalows. A girl can dream, can't she?

I hope it becomes residential, too.

I don't know if the fence indicates progress or just that the weight of graffiti and trespassing has reached a limit. I noticed last month that the a/c units on top of the building had their access doors left opened...copper theft? Who knows...nothing would thrill me more than something positive coming to this location.

Anyone with good, solid information?

• 1 month later...
That would be nice. Maybe they'll put in an ice cream shop that's open for after dinner. :blush:

I like your thinking. About a month ago, I had someone in the franchise restaurant biz ask me what kind of retail/restaurant might do well in the Heights, and the idea I had was some kind of Marble Slab/Dessert Gallery/Coffee place.

I'm still bummed that HEB couldn't turn that location into a Central Market like they wanted to....

• 2 months later...
HEB building....gone!

They knocked it down yesterday. The taggers must be so upset.

Well, shucks.

I'm a bit disappointed. It's not like this building was Radio City Music Hall or anything, but it did have some pleasing Art Deco/Moderne details.

What flavor of crap is Regions Bank's stock architecture?

I like your thinking. About a month ago, I had someone in the franchise restaurant biz ask me what kind of retail/restaurant might do well in the Heights, and the idea I had was some kind of Marble Slab/Dessert Gallery/Coffee place.

When I lived in Garden Oaks (just north of the Heights) in the 90s there was an ice cream shop on 11th near Heights (I think). It was in an old -- really old -- filling station and was called the Carriage Creamery. They had unique flavors and we liked going there, but it only lasted a year or two. I bet it would work better now -- there are many more families in the Heights than 10 years ago.

I have several friends with kids in the hood. After we walk to BerryHill or Dry Creek for dinner, we always talk about how nice it would be to stop for a cone on the way home.

Is the place you're talking about the old building behinf Texas Tamale Factory? It looks like someone bought that place!

Don't worry...the new Regions Bank building will be here by fall for your tagging delight! :)
Exactly. Just like the 14th street side of Reagan. Hopefully Regions will be as responsive as HISD was in removing it. Keep on their ass Lilly. It's good for us and even bettter for Regions

I really think it the bank building will be an improvement...of course, the bar was pretty low.

So lets raise it.

• The title was changed to HEB At 11th St. And Rutland St.
  • The title was changed to HEB At 301 W. 11th St.