Future of the Suburbs

lockmat

are you considering the burbs, for example west houston, everything outside of hwy 6? do you believe that the owners in memorial , tanglewood, briar grove park, or the energy corridor would allow such a thing to happen? if this happens or before this happens, I believe that one developer will redevelop the entire area (say energy corridor to beltway 8) into a woodlands esque type of location or even a larger royal oaks type. nothing could ever happen to these areas that would harm them.

I believe commuter and light rail will link the areas together but this is houston not new york. people enjoy neighbors, back yards, and saftey not tenants, pocket parks, and the availability for their child to be run over in midtown. houston is far too expansive to undergo a complete 180 to a completely urbanized infill.

I do see though those in far katy, sugarland, and the like to move closer down their respective corridors. but are there any good developments on 59 or 90 between the beltway and 610 for sweetwater residents to reside? katy has memorial and likely the redeveloped plans for the area.

but would 700 mil from BP and millions from conoco, exxon, citgo, and others be wasted in the corridor if everyone was going to move inside the loop in 10 years?

I think I am biased towards the corridor since I live there and dont want to see anything happen to it. but still...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you considering the burbs, for example west houston, everything outside of hwy 6? do you believe that the owners in memorial , tanglewood, briar grove park, or the energy corridor would allow such a thing to happen? if this happens or before this happens, I believe that one developer will redevelop the entire area (say energy corridor to beltway 8) into a woodlands esque type of location or even a larger royal oaks type. nothing could ever happen to these areas that would harm them.

I believe commuter and light rail will link the areas together but this is houston not new york. people enjoy neighbors, back yards, and saftey not tenants, pocket parks, and the availability for their child to be run over in midtown. houston is far too expansive to undergo a complete 180 to a completely urbanized infill.

I do see though those in far katy, sugarland, and the like to move closer down their respective corridors. but are there any good developments on 59 or 90 between the beltway and 610 for sweetwater residents to reside? katy has memorial and likely the redeveloped plans for the area.

but would 700 mil from BP and millions from conoco, exxon, citgo, and others be wasted in the corridor if everyone was going to move inside the loop in 10 years?

I think I am biased towards the corridor since I live there and dont want to see anything happen to it. but still...

Like I said, there are plenty of exceptions to what I've predicted. That whole slice of West Houston between I-10 and the Buffalo Bayou is among them. If the employment center keeps growing, there'll always be enough demand to keep things in check. Likewise, much of that area has real staying power in ways that areas to the north and south of there do not. Those areas that don't have staying power are pretty much screwed.

Places like The Woodlands and Royal Oaks required a single all-powerful owner. Management districts, TIRZs, and the like would be a start, but they are political entities, susceptible to legal restrictions, backhanded corruption, and frequent shortsightedness. Few are well-run IMO.

The Cinco Ranch area is the kind of development you guys seem to be talking about. It more closely resembles the Woodlands IMO than any other area I can think of.

"Located 32 miles from downtown Houston, Cinco Ranch is the brightest star in West Houston,a leader in the Houston region in quality growth.

At Cinco Ranch, Newland Communities is constantly striving to offer home buyers the broadest array of new homes by leading builders, at prices from the $170,000s to over $1 million. Located in Katy Texas, home buyers will find Cinco Ranch full of traditional single-family homes in various price ranges, along with exclusive custom and estate homes, and low-maintenance lifestyle homes. We even have a unique lifestyle neighborhood for homebuyers 55 and over.

Our 7,400-acre master plan devotes hundreds of acres to recreation. Part of the acclaimed Katy Independent School District, Cinco Ranch is already home to eleven Katy ISD schools. But most of all, we think it's our community spirit. It is the Cinco Ranch Advantage.", from www.cincoranch.com.

I think this area including Neighborhoods like Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, and all the Kelliwood development, will continue to support the energy corridor and the new hospitals.

I live in Cinco Ranch and commute to the westchase area a 20 minute drive. This is a pretty big business district too that is close to where I live. And can support a lot of homes. It always boggles me that people seem to infer that every one who lives in the "burbs" commutes 30 miles on the freeways into downtown or somewhere else. I would never choose to do this.

as for royal oaks I believe the area wont be what it is today in the near future. the neighborhood is surrounded by class b and c apartments. I dont know the projections for the crime rate since royal oaks was under minimal construction in 2000 but the land surrounding has never faired to well in that department.

I believe royal oaks will peak in the coming years and then continue to decline in price in value. it will never hit a horrible, back to the future 2 type of existence but it will likely be that residents who purchased in in 99 and 2000 will have to shell out some money to the bank. it will likely go from lower high class to upper middle class or between middle and upper middle. that is just my guess.

how many residents of the woodlands commute to inner houston for work (ie uptown or downtown)? I still see the growing trend inside the loop for my generation and for the older crowd. for the others, I likely foresee the parents either shelling out money for private and living inside or going for public and living outside.

• 13 years later...

Fun to read back through a 13 year old thread like this and see what has aged well and what hasn't. Moving to the briar grove neighborhood so I searched HAIF for "briar grove" and this is one of the threads that popped up. Looks like the burbs have done just fine and then some. 

58 minutes ago, WestUdweller said:

Fun to read back through a 13 year old thread like this and see what has aged well and what hasn't. Moving to the briar grove neighborhood so I searched HAIF for "briar grove" and this is one of the threads that popped up. Looks like the burbs have done just fine and then some. 

If you really want a fun read, go find the heights walmart thead and the bridge of death.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, august948 said:

If you really want a fun read, go find the heights walmart thead and the bridge of death.

2 hours ago, samagon said:

lol.

the doom and gloom in that thread, even at the time was comical, now it's downright hilarious. 

Well, traffic on Yale does now bite... :ph34r:

Just now, august948 said:

Here ya go....68 pages of walmart hate and heights privilege...plus the bridge of death 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/23505-wal-mart-to-invade-the-heights

"Invade" oh lord. I'll read this over the weekend.

hmm. I can now see why H-Town Man once asked if I was this "TheNiche". We really do have a very similar approach and style. Interesting.

10 minutes ago, Luminare said:

"Invade" oh lord. I'll read this over the weekend.

hmm. I can now see why H-Town Man once asked if I was this "TheNiche". We really do have a very similar approach and style. Interesting.

There are probably some tangential threads out there as well if you really need to drop into an internet black hole for a while....

Last I remember hearing, TheNiche had moved to Asia.  Perhaps a more reliable memory was that he was in commercial real estate/development of some sort when he was living here in Houston.

As it happens I was in desperate need of tacos earlier today and stopped by the Taco Cabana in front of the Heights Walmart.  That whole area is doing gangbusters judging from the traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

Sort of unrelated, but Taco Cabana's quality has dropped off. Last time I went there I ordered fajita tacos. I got a plate with two tortillas with a wimpy portion of super salty rubber-like cubed beef and a gloop of canned refried beans and some rice for $10. I went up to the counter to ask where my guac and lettuce was and why there weren't tomatoes in the rice. That's what I thought they served  . They told me it didn't come like that. What a disappointment. I noticed that several locations have gone out of business in the last few months. If I worked there I wouldn't be able keep doing my job, too sad and cringey. That chain will be gone in 2 years, I'm calling it now.

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

Sort of unrelated, but Taco Cabana's quality has dropped off. Last time I went there I ordered fajita tacos. I got a plate with two tortillas with a wimpy portion of super salty rubber-like cubed beef and a gloop of canned refried beans and some rice for $10. I went up to the counter to ask where my guac and lettuce was and why there weren't tomatoes in the rice. That's what I thought they served  . They told me it didn't come like that. What a disappointment. I noticed that several locations have gone out of business in the last few months. If I worked there I wouldn't be able keep doing my job, too sad and cringey. That chain will be gone in 2 years, I'm calling it now.

Houston has so many choices for tacos at any budget why bother with Taco Cabana. 

15 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Houston has so many choices for tacos at any budget why bother with Taco Cabana. 

Mostly because they know how to make some d@mn good tortillas.  When we make fajitas at home we go there and buy a couple dozen.  I hope the never go out of business for that reason alone.  What they put on the tortillas is not too bad but there are some better toppings out there.  Happy hour alcohol prices aren't too bad either.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:29 PM, zaphod said:

Last time we went to Taco Cabana, we ordered one item each for the four of us (so not a large catering order) and then proceeded to wait 90 minutes for them to make 3 tacos and a quesadilla.  It's how I discovered their system actually kicks off tickets after 90 minutes.  Almost everyone in the restaurant was waiting for an order, not eating

Needless to say, we haven't been back in 6 months

On 2/24/2020 at 12:15 AM, august948 said:

Mostly because they know how to make some d@mn good tortillas.  When we make fajitas at home we go there and buy a couple dozen.  I hope the never go out of business for that reason alone.  What they put on the tortillas is not too bad but there are some better toppings out there.  Happy hour alcohol prices aren't too bad either.

yup, they have good tortillas, but I'd never consider anything else they make good.

I wonder if they went away would two pesos be able to come back? 

Archived