Heres the latest rendering and plan for the building

ThePlaza.jpg

5020 Montrose Blvd. - For Lease

Prime Location: In the Museum District

In the heart of the Museum District, just southwest of downtown Houston.

1.6 Miles to the Texas Medical Center which today consists of 42 member institutions.

Easy access to Rice University and Hermann Park.

Surrounded by several of Houston's most exclusive neighborhoods.

The Plaza addresses the intersection of Montrose Blvd. and Bartlett Street, just north of Bissonnet.

Land:

Building: 2,000 - 75,000 sf of Space Available

3-Mile Population: 154,134

Traffic Count: 64,182

Comments:

New Medical Office Building

Built in 1926 - In 2004, will begin redevelopment of the Historic Plaza Hotel.

Rising to the height of eight stories, plans call for a total exterior restoration with modern interior design.

250 Parking garage to be added on the west side of the building.

Ready Summer 2005.

(For more information please call 713-778-0900)

Lease Term: 5 to 10 Years

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Is this rennovation still underway (or perhaps complete)?

Even back in my day I couldn't wait to see this building revived.

I truly hope it is still happening/has happened!

The news is good. According to a recent HBJ:

The Plaza Hotel has stood empty for years and was still vacant on its 80th birthday this week.

But the historic structure in the Museum District will have some occupants for company upon turning 81.

The landmark hostelry being redeveloped into office space is expecting an initial tenant by September. Tradition Bank will take the entire first floor, and has negotiated to change the building's name to Tradition Bank Plaza.

Half of the nine-story building has already been leased, but the space won't be ready for occupancy until later this year.

The old Plaza Hotel opened on Feb. 26, 1926, at 5020 Montrose Ave. It was modeled after the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York and cost $1 million to build.

When David Greenberg and Douglas Brown bought the 72,000-square-foot building two years ago, they projected a cost of $24 million to convert the property into a medical office building.

Most of the tenants thus far are medical-related. The top floor will be a day surgery center. A plastic surgeon has leased all of the eighth floor. But other types of tenants -- such as the Tradition Bank, a day spa and Pinnacle Title -- are also moving into the octogenarian

• 2 months later...

A good friend of mine is looking at leasing a space at what was once the Plaza Hotel on 5020 Montrose Boulevard. Does anyone know who has designed the new building / complete remodel and / or what it is going to look like - inside and out?

Second - how about a little history of the building -pls

John

It's almost like the Texas Medical Center is expanding on the northern side of Hermann Park. (With all the Medical Buildings next to The Miller Outdoor Theatre/Museum of Natural Science/Warwick Towers.). I know it's not 'The Texas Medical Center', but there is alot of medical buildings on that side.

Thanks for the info houston-developement

• 7 months later...

I dated a girl who worked and lived at the Plaza Hotel back in the late 70's. She operated the switchboard at night. It was the original headset type with the master panel and plug in wires. (right out of a 30's movie set). I would sometimes wait in the Chaucer Room and have drinks until she got off duty. That was another step into the past. She lived with an older lady resident who needed someone to drive her around and keep her company. This girl, by the way, had great set on her. She was real popular.

• 1 year later...

Over the past couple of years, I noticed a building next to the residential tower at 5000 (maybe 5100 across from the Jung Center)) Montrose that was being rehabbed. It appeared that it was going to be some sort of medical professional building, but I haven't noticed any other activity in several months. It appears to me that it is ready to be occupied, and even has an ATM out front, but nada.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Over the past couple of years, I noticed a building next to the residential tower at 5000 (maybe 5100 across from the Jung Center)) Montrose that was being rehabbed. It appeared that it was going to be some sort of medical professional building, but I haven't noticed any other activity in several months. It appears to me that it is ready to be occupied, and even has an ATM out front, but nada.

Anyone know what's up with this?

I assume you are referring to 5020 Montrose

The_Plaza.jpg

If so, Tradition Bank (http://www.traditionbank.com/community-medical-district.asp) is in there and there is space currently on the market (http://www.greenbergcompany.com/Office/Off...20/Default.aspx)

• The title was changed to Plaza Hotel At 5020 Montrose Blvd.