What Was Your High School Like?

Double L

Everybody was in to Anthrax, Mega Death and Metallica type of lifestyle. you know big patch on the back of your denim jacket. B)

Edited by Marty

I had hair dyed jet black that stood up on top, except for a streak that ran across one side of my head. It was orange in the front, then blended into yellow and was almost white at the back. It either looked like I had a giant ear, or that my normally sized ear was on fire.

I wore ties to school, too, even though they weren't required -- skinny leather ones. with my ties I also wore Vans with holes in the toes and no socks.

So, yeah, I looked completely ridiculous. But, in the 80s, ridiculous was cool.

My friends and I liked:

Gary Numan

Japan

Bauhaus

The Cure

Depeche Mode

Oingo Boingo

Heaven 17

XTC

the Smiths

Missing Persons

Love and Rockets

Husker Du

Pixies

English Beat

Elvis Costello

the Alarm

You know...the usual stuff.

Writing out that list brought back some memories.

Don't get paranoid Niche, LL just wants to know how many different pocket protectors you had back then

I would suspect the question wouldn't be asked if the questioner weren't trying to get at something. I can give some short and trite commentary about things generally (i.e. "four years"), or I can try to be useful.

I can say that my highschool life was alot like Dazed and Confused, except, no drugs were involved in my movie. Lots of beer and booze, and hangin' out in the middle of nowhere, a fight possibly. Not me fighting, but somebody. Best girl on my arm, whoever the lucky dame was that week. The usual highschool drama.

Wow. I got home tonight and "Urgh! A Music War!" was on TV. That was what my high school experience was all about. I think I first saw it on Night Flight on the USA network back in '84.

Growing up in East Texas, it was generally easier to get pot than alcohol. We didn't do any serious drugs, though. I do remember a lot of Miller Genuine Draft in about my Junior and Senior years. Nacogdoches was a semi-dry county, meaning you needed a membership to drink in bars and beer sales were restricted a lot more than normal.

There was an old man who lived up on a hill overlooking the town whose entire house had been converted to a 24-hour beer store, though. He had walls of commercial coolers in his living room and he sold most domestic brands for $3-$4 a six pack anytime you wanted it. No ID required. I think we discovered him around our Junior year...

In junior year, high school was about keg parties and hotel bashes. Sports were big and beating St. John's was huge. I still tried to care and pretend that I was into football, soccer, and tennis teams.

In senior year, high school was about getting the hell outta dodge (Piney Point). Crusing Lower Westheimer. Fake i.d.s purchased downtown. Getting pulled over off of Main by a mounted patrol officer for making an illegal left turn (this happened even before light rail!). Using the fake i.d.'s to get into NRG, Numbers, SOME/EMOS, Red Square, and Power Tools. Hanging out with my friend Vince at his Sound Warehouse job and secretely admiring his strength for coming out in 1988 at a snob factory and wishing I had the courage to do the same. The closest I could come was quitting football and joining the first year volleyball squad :)

i attended the same private christian school from 3rd grade to senior year. so, my high school years were spent at school functions, church functions and family gatherings. i was involved in student government, choir and (mixed) volleyball during high school.

favorite clothes were calvin klein, generra and girbaud. didn't get to wear those much because of the uniforms.

favorite music was resurrection band, petra, daniel amos, michael w. smith........get the picture?

i discovered dalparadise and kinkaidalum's world after high school. hello numbers, power tools, NRG, etc. my current music collection has changed considerably. :ph34r:

High school was a blast for me. I had long hair and was in a band, but also started on both the baseball and football teams, thus I was dubbed "rock jock". I must admit that I smoked alot of pot and drank alot of beer, but no hard stuff. I also must admit that I got into quite a few fights, but nothing with weapons, just fists.

In football, we made it to the regionals three out of my four years. In baseball we won district 3 years in a row and made it to the regionals one year.

All in all, I had a great social life and really loved my days in high school. Nobody threatened to shoot you, there we're no cops dispatched to the school for violence, and we actually cared about our school's upkeep. Boy how times have changed.

A few songs that most of my buds loved from 1981-1984:

"More than a feeling" (Boston)

"Roll with the changes" (REO Speedwagon)

"Wheel in the sky" (Journey)

"Should I stay or should I go" (The Clash)

"Rappers Delight" (Sugarhill Gang) (rap was cool then imo, I'm not into it now)

"I'm just waiting on a friend" (The Stones)

Any and all Zeppelin

One movie that all of us loved:

"Fast times at Ridgemont high"

Edited by Gary

What a fun question!

Waltrip Sr. High - 1974-1977 (Sr. High was only 3 years back then)

"Kikkers" were in the front parking lot and the "Dope Smokers" were in the back parking lot.

We had an area inside the school were we could smoke cigarettes between classes and at lunch. We always smoked in the restrooms. Anyone who did not smoke just didn't get to pee all day.

We had an open campus so lunch would be anywhere we wanted. Mostly Jack in the Box or McDonalds (Mc D's was fairly new in Houston at the time).

I had three teachers that were friends and I would run errands for them some days... get their dry cleaning, run by the bank, pick up lunch... and would be out of school 3 hrs a day and still get B's.

Those were the days... it is nothing like that anymore.