What does your username mean?

Parrothead

I can't really tell the whole story of my screen name, because of the nature of my business. It would divulge my real identity. Here's the basis, tho --

Sal Paradise is the narrator and the protagonist in Jack Kerouac's novel On the Road. Sal, an Italian-American youth living in New Jersey with his aunt, is an uninspired writer working on a book who follows and accompanies a friend's friend, Dean Moriarty, a young and reckless Denver vagrant, on his journeys across America and therefore describes us his trips with and without Dean in search of kicks.

On the Road is known as a semi-autobiographic story, and Jack Kerouac admitted himself being Sal Paradise, when the journalists asked him if he was Dean Moriarty, who was actually inspired by another Beat hero and a close friend of Kerouac, Neal Cassady. Indeed, the connections between Sal and Kerouac are significant. Jack, coming from a French origin himself, created Sal as an Italian-American based on his life; when Sal lives with his aunt in New Jersey, Kerouac lived with his mother in New York.

Sal Paradise is a widely known 20th Century fictional Beat character and one of the pioneers of modern fiction.

I can't really tell the whole story of my screen name, because of the nature of my business. It would divulge my real identity. Here's the basis, tho --

I always thought Dal was for Dallas, and paradise meant hell. Or perhaps Dal was your name. :)

Anyways, Montrose stands for none other then .... Montrose! (Tada!). When I first moved to the westend, I thought the area was part of Montrose. So, Hence Montrose. If I woulda known, I may very well have chosen "Westend1100". Which is my MSN name ;).

1100 Stands for the 1100 Block of Louisiana, which use to be my favorite building in Downtown. I also thought it was an "elegant" number, ("Eleven Hundred", as appose to "One One Zero Zero").

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

I just hate picking user names...so I went with something real complicated.... like... MY NAME. (last name starts with a "G")...like I said...real complicated.

I must admit...I'm pretty impressed with how much thought went into some of these.

I look like a greaser from The Outsiders

Aside from referring to men of the 50s generation with heavily oiled hair, are you aware that the term "greaser" is also an ethnic slur to Mexicans and Mexican-Americans?

Oh yes...my screen name -- FilioScotia. Latin for Son of Scotland. Scottish on both sides of my family and very proud of it.

Aside from referring to men of the 50s generation with heavily oiled hair, are you aware that the term "greaser" is also an ethnic slur to Mexicans and Mexican-Americans?

Oh yes...my screen name -- FilioScotia. Latin for Son of Scotland. Scottish on both sides of my family and very proud of it.

I knew , but it hasn't been used since the 30's.

Filio, since you are Scottish, I will ask you. Which usage of the "Mac" and "Mc" determine Scottish from Irish. I think "Mc" is Irish, but not completely sure.

I'm not FilioScotia, but it is my understanding that traditionally Scots are Macs. My hubby (a Scottish-descendant McDonald) is telling me that when his great-great grandfather went from Scotland to Nova Scotia, he was still "Mac" but upon entering the United States and settling in Tennessee he was designated "Mc". I also know that my family's clan in Scotland is MacGregor, but it was changed to McGregor somewhere along the way over there, (and we ended up Gregory, actually!). I have a huge Clan book in storage that has the major clan names and all the surnames that go with it--I remember seeing quite a few "Mc"s along with Mac.

I knew , but it hasn't been used since the 30's.

Really? I don't know where you got that idea. Try telling that to the Mexicans and Mexican-Americans who will still bust you in the mouth if you call them a greaser. The 50s Anglo generation took the word for their own uses to describe themselves and nobody ever said much about it because it was so clearly NOT an ethnic slur, when it was used that way.

But when it's used as an ethnic insult, Hispanics still get very offended by it. The same way it would offend me for a Hispanic to call me a gringo. Neither one is a compliment.

And I think someone else has already answered your question about "Mac" and "Mc". And I'm glad because I don't know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived