Houston's Correct Design

Guest Plastic

Houston hasn't had nearly as many movies set here as other places. And I mean the important ones. All the big budget movies where a city gets destroyed seem to happen in LA. New York even got it Se[t 11. the world's most watched reality show. The only time Houston's ever been destroyed is when the bomb's dropped in Independence Day.

[TheNiche throws up his arms and walks out of room, grumbling]

New York even got it Se[t 11. the world's most watched reality show. The only time Houston's ever been destroyed is when the bomb's dropped in Independence Day.

seriously? seriously. did you really type that? am I reading it wrong? i must be reading it wrong...

i can't read anymore, .....i'm going to go find a St. Bernard to take Jane out on a date...

This depends on when you think the original Houston ended and sprawl started.

A wide range could be anywhere from the 20s to the 50s.

Whenever it started people should have started looking after this city. "More people are moving out,outer thourroughfares are getting higher usage,businesses are moving out, Downtown is becoming vacant,we need a civic square, and we someday are gonna need rail." somebody should have thought.

... through ...

What I'm saying is what are we known for. Before the Superbowl the only reason people had to talk about Houston was the cock roaches.,

:blink:

besides, we ripped up our rail system in the forties...bleh

Edited by sevfiv

and where did that graphic come from in post #23?

meaning, why is it there? when not in the original post?

I placed it within the quote to illustrate the troll that plastic has become.

seriously? seriously. did you really type that? am I reading it wrong? i must be reading it wrong...

i can't read anymore, .....i'm going to go find a St. Bernard to take Jane out on a date...

Yes, the little troll actually typed it and Jane doesn't date...yet. :lol:

I still think Houston's gonna need a big airport in the next 20 to 40 years. If we want to become a big international city that hosts The Olympics we needa big named airport like LAX,JFK,or O'hare.

Your whole post is not worth reading, with all of the typos, grammatical errors, and just plain ignorant ranting, but I just want to give you one little reality check. Houston already HAS a big airport. It's called George Bush Intercontinental. It is the 7th or 8th busiest airport in North America, something like 14th busiest in the world, and is the 7th or 8th largest international gateway to the United States. (And FWIW, it handles more traffic than JFK). It would be nice if you actually took the time to learn something about Houston before you start typing your trash.

Oh, and your comment about NYC's September 11 "reality show" has to be the most wretched, sick, loathsome post I have ever seen on this board. What kind of person would even think such a thing?

Edited by Houston19514

Who cares if houston got nuked on independence day. Besides, most nukes have a blast radius of twenty miles. So not all of the city was totally destroyed. And don't forget what happened to the other major cities in the movie. They were wiped out completly. Those idiots on the rooftops in los angeles.

Lets not forget about THE CHASE with Charlie Sheen, ARLINGTON ROAD with Jeff Bridges, and the movie they made about M.C. Hammer was filmed here too. Also SPACE COWBOYS was filmed here.

Who cares if houston got nuked on independence day. Besides, most nukes have a blast radius of twenty miles. So not all of the city was totally destroyed.

Twenty miles takes out everything inside of the Beltway, all of the Ship Channel (except for the Exxon refinery and Barbour's Cut), part of Clear Lake, part of Friendswood, most of Manvel, Sugar Land and Missouri City, I-10 all the way out to Barker-Cypress, out 290 to Huffmeister, everything inside of Cypress Creek, and all three of our airports. Destruction not total enough for you?

Lets not forget about THE CHASE with Charlie Sheen, ARLINGTON ROAD with Jeff Bridges, and the movie they made about M.C. Hammer was filmed here too. Also SPACE COWBOYS was filmed here.

Where did they film GIANT?

Twenty miles takes out everything inside of the Beltway

Yeah, that pretty much takes care of everything, although we would still have Katy, Willowbrook, Galveston, FM 1960, IAH, Greenspoint (some of it), Clear Lake, The Woodlands, and uh... anything else worth a ____ out here? :lol: I'm just messing with you niche.

I wonder what the minimum would be to be considered a "total"?

Guest Plastic
Look Forrest, it is painfully obvious that you will never be able to grasp anything in the Real World <----not the TV show either). Your reference to Sept. 11th as a reason to be upset that it didn't happen in Houston, so that "all eyes would be on us" is absolutely ludicrous. Plastic, you are without a doubt the biggest IDIOT I have ever witnessed, on this Forum or anywhere else for that matter.

It is my hope that you are sterile or will soon become sterile, so that you won't infect the world with your seed, and some poor woman doesn't have to go through life explaining to other parents WHY her child has to constanly be on a respirator, because you are the father of that child, and the kid is sooooo dumb that he forgets how to breathe. :blink::wacko:

Actually I've been taking sexual enhancers.

Why we don't get respect? Because it seem like its lawless here with regard to our architecture. And basically when you think of cities thats what people think of. There aren't any districts and everyone can do what they want, and they do. You'll have a fake french chateau next to a spanish colonial next to a victorian next to a tear down. And you'll have some dufus landscaper put palm trees down an esplanade in a street full of towering oaks.

One thing that would fix Houston's image is one big architectural landmark. Like the mall in DC. Too bad the new downtown park is contemporarily designed because it will be dated soon enough. Look at what they did at Hermann park, its neo classical and it looks like its been there for years and will look good in the future too.

Why we don't get respect? Because it seem like its lawless here with regard to our architecture. And basically when you think of cities thats what people think of. There aren't any districts and everyone can do what they want, and they do. You'll have a fake french chateau next to a spanish colonial next to a victorian next to a tear down. And you'll have some dufus landscaper put palm trees down an esplanade in a street full of towering oaks.

One thing that would fix Houston's image is one big architectural landmark. Like the mall in DC. Too bad the new downtown park is contemporarily designed because it will be dated soon enough. Look at what they did at Hermann park, its neo classical and it looks like its been there for years and will look good in the future too.

The juxtaposition is art.

• 3 months later...
Famous people from Houston:

Roger Clemens

George Foreman

Molly Ivins

Mike Jones

Nolan Ryan

Vince Young

Walter Cronkite

Carlos Coy (South Park Mexican)

Beyonce Knowles

Lyle Lovett

Dennis & Randy Quaid

Dan Rather

Brent Spiner

Patrick Swayze

Renee Zellweger

Michael Dell

Howard Hughes

Jesse Jones

Red Adair

Joel Osteen

Glenn McCarthy

Tilman Fertitta

I'm sure I've left a number of folks out. And I realize that you were probably referring to Houston's average Joe...but the original poster probably cares more about the famed folks. And there's not too much to say about the average joe, except that many folks aren't.

Tilman Fertitta may live in Houston now, but he was born in Galveston. He lived on Adler Circle right behind his present day Rain Forest Cafe.