47. Houston

Most dangerous big cities:

1. St. Louis

2. Detroit

6. Dallas

10. Houston

More info:

http://blogs.dfw.com/startle_grams/2006/10..._survey_sa.html

that's not hard to believe. i never felt safe there walking around at night. and this is per capita for the city limits, which has a small population. all the better/safer areas are outside the city, though less then 10 miles from downtown. if you include the metro it would be a different story i'm sure.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4296177.html:

1. St. Louis

2. Detroit

3. Flint, Mich.

4. Compton, Calif.

5. Camden, N.J.

6. Birmingham, Ala.

7. Cleveland

8. Oakland, Calif.

9. Youngstown, Ohio

10. Gary, Ind.

11. Richmond, Calif.

12. Baltimore

13. Memphis, Tenn.

14. Trenton, N.J.

15. Richmond, Va.

16. Kansas City, Mo.

17. Atlanta

18. Cincinnati

19. Washington

20. North Charleston, S.C.

21. Reading, Pa.

22. Newark, N.J.

23. Little Rock, Ark.

24. San Bernardino, Calif.

25. Orlando, Fla.

34. Dallas

47. Houston

Most dangerous big cities:

1. St. Louis

2. Detroit

6. Dallas

10. Houston

More info:

http://blogs.dfw.com/startle_grams/2006/10..._survey_sa.html

i kinda find these numbers suspect. i lived in baltimore and it is rough! i think it is more dangerous than #12.

I like it how the two most dangerous cities this year just so happened to play each other for the World Series :D Why didn't this list come out in Game One?! Probably would have given me a reason to watch :P

I also like it that DisneyWorld just so happens to be located on #25 on the list. When's the last time you've heard of a drive-by in the Magic Kingdom? Or a drug-raid in Space Mountain? I guess it happens more often then we assume...

nope, but i have lived in dc (#19) and think that is higher up the reality list as well. dc is dangerous, despite it's recently glitzy image.

I guess you missed my point. Perhaps, if you had also lived cities #1-11, you would understand why they are 1-11 and Baltimore is 12. Without similar exposure to the cities, one is really not in a position to determine.

DJ V Lawrence:

I also like it that DisneyWorld just so happens to be located on #25 on the list. When's the last time you've heard of a drive-by in the Magic Kingdom? Or a drug-raid in Space Mountain? I guess it happens more often then we assume...

I'm straying a little off topic here, but Orlando basketball fans are so mean and rude. I was watching the Rockets vs. Orlando game the other day and they did nothing but boo the Rockets throughout the entire game! Some jerk yelled out an insult to Dikembe Mutombo and was escourted out. He's been banned from all home game for the rest of the season.

The whole thing surprised me a little bit. I would expect something like this from Chicago or New York fans in maybe a playoff game, but not from Mickey Land during a pre-season game for crying out loud. It gave me a brand new and negative impression of Orlando.

I'm straying a little off topic here, but Orlando basketball fans are so mean and rude. I was watching the Rockets vs. Orlando game the other day and they did nothing but boo the Rockets throughout the entire game! Some jerk yelled out an insult to Dikembe Mutombo and was escourted out. He's been banned from all home game for the rest of the season.

The whole thing surprised me a little bit. I would expect something like this from Chicago or New York fans in maybe a playoff game, but not from Mickey Land during a pre-season game for crying out loud. It gave me a brand new and negative impression of Orlando.

I guess BoyBands bring out the negative in us all, don't they? :unsure:

I like it how the two most dangerous cities this year just so happened to play each other for the World Series :D Why didn't this list come out in Game One?! Probably would have given me a reason to watch :P

More than just Disney there DJ. I worked there at Disney one summer, back in the 90s, lots of Gang activity, and just overall bad elements from other parts of Florida that have migrated there. I once wanted to start a business there, but that place has just gotten worse and worse over the years. There actually have been drive-bys close to the Majic Kingdom just not IN the park area. Figure in the amount of burglaries and thefts in the parking lots, and thefts from hotel rooms also. It all adds up.

Disney World is not in Orlando proper. In fact, until recently, its mailing address was technically Lake Buena Vista, Florida. However, I think Disney World now has its own mailing address. And for the record, very few of the Orlando area attrations are located in Orlando but mostly in the smaller towns surrounding the core city.

they're probably still upset about T-Mac being traded to us.

First, maybe we should learn how to build a levee... <_<

I was curious how New Orleans wasn't even on the list. Then I saw this...

Other Cities: Crime data for a number of other cities with populations larger than 75,000 are not reported in this 13th annual Safest City Award. Crime statistics for these cities are not included for a number of reasons, ranging from general reporting difficulties and computer issues to changes in reporting systems. Below is a list of cities that the Census Bureau showed as having populations greater than 75,000 but for which no 2005 crime information was available through the F.B.I.

Disney World is not in Orlando proper. In fact, until recently, its mailing address was technically Lake Buena Vista, Florida. However, I think Disney World now has its own mailing address. And for the record, very few of the Orlando area attrations are located in Orlando but mostly in the smaller towns surrounding the core city.

My cousin worked at Disney World on an internship not too long ago; she told me the first few days she stayed there there was a drive-by shooting at a nearby Wal-Mart.

Disney World is partly in Lake Buena Vista and partly in Bay Lake; both cities are owned by Disney.

Universal Studios is in Orlando.

Edited by VicMan