Gallant Knight Bar At 2337 W. Holcombe Blvd.

Guest danax

Bizjournal article

"Cynthia Phearse, who has worked as manager of the Gallant Knight for 23 years, says developers have been snapping up land in the area at a quick pace in recent months. She points out that a Wendy's restaurant across the street has already been demolished, while a nearby florist shop has also been purchased for redevelopment.

The Gallant Knight building is scheduled to be razed in two weeks. "

The link is for paid subscribers only but the gist is the owner is getting $750,000 and is tired. A bank building will go up instead. No indication of how large of a building they're talking about. Locals talked about how investors have been putting pressure on some of the mom & pops around there to sell. The son of the owner plans to open a new Gallant Knight in the same area within a year.

Thank Goodness they are gonna rebuild, that place was getting pretty rickety though. I have had some fun times in there. It has been a couple of years or so since I have been. I will definately hit the new place.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Another bank branch on Holcombe? I'm afraid that the "Holcombe Beautification Project" is not going to amount to much. Why do we have such a hard time developing anything nice?

Have y'all noticed too what seems to be a bank building craze? Wendy's at Holcombe and Morningside goes down, to be replaced by ... a bank. Empty lot south of Droubi's, on Kirby and Main, is now a bank. The Flying Pig restaurant at Weslayan and Bissonnet, torn down and now a bank. It seems everywhere I turn, new bank branches are popping up. What are the economics behind this bank building boom? Or is it just my imagination?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have a pic or anything, but the Gallant Knight was demolished this morning. I saw it on the way to work.

Jeez, with all the recent Holcombe demolition, you'd hope they would slap a Starbucks (or anything with an espresso machine) down somewhere around there.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm making a documentary on Sammy Relford (of Gallant Knight and Sammy's fame) and am looking for some photos of not only him performing at the Gallant Knight, but shots of the exterior of the club, and any interiors shots as well. I am also looking for images of his former singing partner, Kim Yvette. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Danax posted an article on Oct 6th 2006 under Houston neighborhoods-Texas medical center. The link in his post has a pic of the club.

I feel if this were under Houston History more viewers would have noticed thus creating more input or even better old pics? Looks like another cool old hip place has vanished. :(

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Jeez, with all the recent Holcombe demolition, you'd hope they would slap a Starbucks (or anything with an espresso machine) down somewhere around there.

That's a good point. It seems like there is lots of press about the lack of good locations inside the loop for new restaurants and other nice commercial. Holcombe from Kirby to Main would seem to be very well positioned (West U, Med Center, Southgate, Braeswood...etc) but it's something of a retail/restaurant development wasteland currently, other than a new bank building going in on the corner of morningside. Why can't/isn't another "washington ave" phenomenon happening there?

• Like 1

yuck. i traverse the Main-Kirby section of Holcombe daily, and i just ignore the scenery (fast food and banks). almost all of the neat smaller places are gone (hoping i'm not jinxing Buon Appetito) - i wonder how long Happy All and the Sushi place will survive.

with the new building going up where the old Towers was (across from the late Shamrock), maybe it will sustain all the fast food chains.

anyhow, back to the Gallant Knight...

here area couple blog posting with some more recent pictures and information:

http://hcpark.blogspot.com/2007/02/farewell-good-knight.html

http://blogs.chron.com/bartab/archives/2005/08/

will be on the lookout for more about Sammy et al.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm making a documentary on Sammy Relford (of Gallant Knight and Sammy's fame) and am looking for some photos of not only him performing at the Gallant Knight, but shots of the exterior of the club, and any interiors shots as well. I am also looking for images of his former singing partner, Kim Yvette. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff? Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
GrandOpeningFridayJune19th.jpg

Hadn't heard about this until today, and didn't see it posted elsewhere (if so, pls delete!). This sounds like the old Timber Wolf location.

i work with one of the investors (there's multiple investors in this)... hoping i can make it tonight.

• The title was changed to Gallant Knight Bar At 2337 W. Holcombe Blvd.