San Jacinto Bridge

Guest Marty

No, The bridge is at 59 and the San Jacinto River Close to Humble.

OOPS!

Thanks, Marty.

The above photo I posted earlier, is the bridge over the Buffalo Bayou on San Jacinto St.

I took the photo on the Fannin St bridge looking east.

I was there taking photos on the west side of the bridge of an old building once called "Love Street Light Circus" back in the 60s and early 70s.

Edited by Ron4tx

I made a road trip tracking down the original route of TX35 through east Texas. During my research in preparation for the trip I discovered documentation were indicated the bridge was actually built for TX35 not US59. It took the US59 designation when much of the original TX35 route was resigned for US59.

I have some great photos of many sections and bridges from old TX35 north of Houston. I will start working on the pages for TexasFreeway.com when I get back to the states.

My favorite memory of that bridge is from the post-crash period in 1982. So many people who had lost jobs had bought overpriced homes at exorbitant interest rates, and many of those people were homeless.

A number of folks simply camped out and lived in and around and even under that bridge. Naturally, the local news did a lot of remotes from that area with many hard luck cases. What I thought ironic was the number of people who were interviewed while smoking a cigarette and holding a beer.

No money for housing, but enough for vices.

What I thought ironic was the number of people who were interviewed while smoking a cigarette and holding a beer.

No money for housing, but enough for vices.

The only time I hear about the San Jacinto Bridge is bad news in the news. I recall beatings, killings, drugs, alcohol, and sexual abuse, in addition to the activities that took place during the tent camp in the '80's.

I thought the homeless camps were under the I-10 San Jacinto River Bridge?

Wherever it way, I don't really remember these being local homeless .

This was when 3,000 a month were moving to Houston for work. Many were from the rust-belt looking for jobs.

and I remember the homeless camps being in the old rest area on the Highway 90 (old) San Jacinto river bridge.

Maybe there were 3 camps!??!!

I don't remember the homeless camps. But me and my friends would drink beer and climb the embankment with monster truck looking 4X4,s. this was late 80's early 90's.

Edited by Marty

Wasn't the first bridge over San Jacinto River burned down? Vince Bridge or Vincent Bridge?

vince's bridge is over vince's bayou and its in pasadena near the washburn tunnel.

make that was.

Edited by gnu

Would this be the old arched looking bridge or the freeway bridge?

If your talking about the 59 @ San Jacinto River its a metal arch painted white. I dont think you can drive on it no more since it's a historical landmark.

Edited by Marty

I just wanted to tell you that picture you took is excellent photography! The reflection in the water is a one of a kind. I love it! Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment, FreakyDude.

I have to give more credit to luck than me planning out the photo.

It was mostly a sunny day around noon.

I didn't notice it at the time but I find the trees growing out of the buildings to be interesting.

I would like to investigate those lower floors as well as the history of those buildings.

• 6 months later...
I don't remember the homeless camps. But me and my friends would drink beer and climb the embankment with monster truck looking 4X4,s. this was late 80's early 90's.

I have photos from 1981-82ish. Of all the old gang in front of the SJ bridge. Nowadays probably get busted! Yikes! :D

Thanks for the compliment, FreakyDude.

I have to give more credit to luck than me planning out the photo.

It was mostly a sunny day around noon.

I didn't notice it at the time but I find the trees growing out of the buildings to be interesting.

I would like to investigate those lower floors as well as the history of those buildings.

Both buildings are owned by Harris County. The taller one is 49 San Jacinto Street, housing prisoner intake, Adult Probation, and the IV-D Courts, where the Attorney General sues deadbeat parents for child support on behalf of parents who cannot afford attorneys. The shorter building was used for document storage. Now, it is largely empty, with the exception of a convenience store and a bail bond office. Both buildings are slated for eventual demolition as part of the Buffalo Bayou Project.

• 4 months later...
and I remember the homeless camps being in the old rest area on the Highway 90 (old) San Jacinto river bridge.

Maybe there were 3 camps!??!!

My uncle told me that all of those homeless camps were always overflowing with empty beer cans. Did the residents of those "camps" panhandle on street corners during the day for beer money?

I think some of those homeless actually had jobs. They had cars and stuff. This was Houston Boomtown. 3,000 people a week were moving here from the Rust Belt.

You know the Rust Belt must have been bad when you were better off living in a van down by the San Jac river.

I think some of those homeless actually had jobs. They had cars and stuff. This was Houston Boomtown. 3,000 people a week were moving here from the Rust Belt.

You know the Rust Belt must have been bad when you were better off living in a van down by the San Jac river.

The Rust Belt must have really turned to rust.

We always called it "The Old Bridge". It was how I knew we were home, or close to it...a very familiar "clack-clack-clack" sound that your car made going over the segments of it. I love that bridge!

Here are some old pics of it: US 59/San Jac Bridge

For a REALLY neat website for old bridges, check out: Photos by Moon My fave is the Beveridge Bridge in San Saba County.

I used to live in Forest Cove back in the 70's and I crossed that bridge going from Humble many times. When I was in school the bridge had just closed when they b uilt the new 59 and I rode my bike to school on that old bridge and highway. I was not scared but it was a long way to go to school from Forest Cove. The area is now all built up and there is no way I would ride a bike anywhere close to there. Thanks for letting me tell my story.