METRORail University Line

ricco67

i should have put announced instead of pronounced. METRo's made several announcements (including the 2012 completion) that are not being followed like keeping streets open during construction. last week frank wilson announced an additional 100 million is needed to change a contract to a fixed cost contract to lessen risk for metro

This was the same guy that was responsible for hedging fuel costs near the peak of the market.

At the current price of materials and labor, with the projected increase in those same considerations by the time the job's complete and with the super-tight margins contractors are bidding in order to keep their doors open right now, fixed cost contracts would almost like a no-brainer right now. That is, of course, unless the contractor goes under in the course of completing the job. Then METRO will basically be required to pay for the job twice.

• Like 1

At the current price of materials and labor, with the projected increase in those same considerations by the time the job's complete and with the super-tight margins contractors are bidding in order to keep their doors open right now, fixed cost contracts would almost like a no-brainer right now. That is, of course, unless the contractor goes under in the course of completing the job. Then METRO will basically be required to pay for the job twice.

Oh, I see that you've reviewed the pertinent financial documents. Would you mind sharing with us the terms of the inflation clause?

Oh, I see that you've reviewed the pertinent financial documents. Would you mind sharing with us the terms of the inflation clause?

A substantial portion of my current book of business as well as large number of my prospects are contractors, either GCs or Subs. And, it seems they're the ones who have the most time (and willingness) to meet with me these days. Most of them have nothing better to do. Anyhow, they all repeat the same refrain. I've heard it a hundred times in the last year, and it all sounds exactly like what I had written.

In other words, it's hearsay.

Seems to me he was giving his opinion on the matter, why the sarcasm?

We're in the middle of the waxing lunar phase.

Edited by AtticaFlinch

A substantial portion of my current book of business as well as large number of my prospects are contractors, either GCs or Subs. And, it seems they're the ones who have the most time (and willingness) to meet with me these days. Most of them have nothing better to do. Anyhow, they all repeat the same refrain. I've heard it a hundred times in the last year, and it all sounds exactly like what I had written.

In other words, it's hearsay.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that inflation is coming...for better or worse. I've been harping on that for over a year now. But it does not automatically follow that METRO's fixed-cost arrangement is justified. The devil is in the details. And for a contract of this size, there will be many important details.

We're in the middle of the waxing lunar phase.

folklore & pseudoscience

You mean to tell me I sacrificed this black cat for nothing?

Er... it was actually to suggest the other thing that goes along with lunar cycles...

And no doubt METRO is taking a gamble with going to a fixed cost contract, but it's a gamble going with a cost plus contract as well. Either way, METRO could end up losing more money and being ridiculed more fervently on HAIF. They're in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation. BUT, based on the current construction world zeitgeist, the fixed cost makes more sense. Whether or not it pans out in reality remains to be seen, but based on what my little birdies have told me, it's a sensible ploy.

Edited by AtticaFlinch

And no doubt METRO is taking a gamble with going to a fixed cost contract, but it's a gamble going with a cost plus contract as well. Either way, METRO could end up losing more money and being ridiculed more fervently on HAIF. They're in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation. BUT, based on the current construction world zeitgeist, the fixed cost makes more sense. Whether or not it pans out in reality remains to be seen, but based on what my little birdies have told me, it's a sensible ploy.

All I'm saying is that a non-expert should not rush to judgment in this case and that the so-called expert that's calling the shots has screwed up royally in the past on these kinds of deals. Take that as you will, but I just see a red flag with this kind of deal and am hoping that the board is paying close attention.

On the State of the Union Addres, President Obama stated that there will be a spending freeze starting in 2011. Will this affect the University Line? Since the University Line is a couple of years behind the schedule of the other lines, they will probably not ask for construction funding untill late 2010/early 2011.

Hopefully they can squeek this by before the spending freeze.

On the State of the Union Addres, President Obama stated that there will be a spending freeze starting in 2011. Will this affect the University Line? Since the University Line is a couple of years behind the schedule of the other lines, they will probably not ask for construction funding untill late 2010/early 2011.

Hopefully they can squeek this by before the spending freeze.

Don't worry. The freeze is a joke. Sure, he'll freeze spending on certain things but there's a catch *I'm Independent and I still approve of his job but you have to realize any politicians' agenda* ... THERES STILL OVER $500 BILLION IN STMULUS MONEY HE HASNT USED! Thats exactly the money he's going to be using to fund all the programs. Not to turn this into an anti/pro Obama thread, but don't worry about the University Line. In my eyes, it's secure and there's still the option of getting local or state funding if federal funding were to fall through. The University line is the most essential one.

specifically in the neighborhood between the West Loop and Weslayan. In that neighborhood they should acquire all the homes on one side of the street and run the tracks in that space.

Just for my own ornery curiosity, aren't those largely mid-century homes? Not awesome architecturally, but the sort we delicate flower and moan about being demolished and then we bewail Houston's cultural Philistinism?

on a Univ Line related note: the latest plan to shoehorn even more development into the 2/10 mile between the 610S frontage roads and S Rice along Westpark has the mayor of Bellaire crying foul. heheh

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/01/28/bellaire_examiner/breaking_news/be_dynamo_stadium.txt

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/01/28/west_university_examiner/news/wu_stadium_reax.txt

Edited by IHB2

This was the examiner last week, but the online version is pathetically short.

The printed version went on to say that some of the businesses that will need to be relocated were:

The Davenport

Big City News (adult bookstore, I'm sure the neighbors will be glad...at least most of them)

among several others.

The thing that irritates me is that they were going to include a link on the site to some PDF on what parcels need to be purchased/Demo'ed, but failed to do so. Instead, they simply put up a highly condensed version of the article.

Lazy Bastages.

@agorist says "Davenport, Azteca, maybe Yelapa, Hobbit, Blue Fish, but NOT James Coney Island to close"

Note, ricco, that your link has a PDF in it with the addresses, though you'd need to match that to what businesses are there.

Edited by kylejack

@agorist says "Davenport, Azteca, maybe Yelapa, Hobbit, Blue Fish, but NOT James Coney Island to close"

Note, ricco, that your link has a PDF in it with the addresses, though you'd need to match that to what businesses are there.

Note, kylejack, you need post legit information with confidence.

• 5 months later...

University Light Rail Achieves Key Federal Milestone

Decision Moves Houston Area A Step Closer to Full Regional Mobility

The NEW METRO has received good news in the form of a federal Record of Decision (ROD) on the University light-rail line, signifying final approval of the environmental review process on this 11.3-mile project. With this approval, METRO will continue to evolve the design, engineering, utility coordination, pre-construction planning work, and ongoing FTA coordination needed to go forward while renewing community outreach efforts to make sure the public continues to be engaged in this historic project.

The University light-rail line is part of a regional transit plan serving the area via 19 stations between the Hillcroft and Eastwood Transit Centers with stops near Greenway Plaza, the University of St. Thomas, Texas Southern University and UH Central Campus. This project is part of a five-line rail plan that includes the East End, North, Uptown and Southeast Lines. The East End, North, and Southeast lines are under construction, while the Uptown line is in the design phase.

METRO Chairman Gilbert Garcia praised the ongoing efforts of Houston’s Congressional leaders for supporting rail expansion and working to secure federal funds. “The environmental approval on the University Line puts us one big step forward in the federal funding process,” Garcia said. “The Houston region owes a debt of gratitude to leaders like Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, as well as Representatives Sheila Jackson Lee, Gene Green and Al Green for their tireless efforts to fund light rail expansion in Houston.”

George Greanias, Acting President and CEO of METRO, says the agency is committed to responsible stewardship of the public’s transit dollars. “We appreciate all the work required to win federal funding: from Congressional and community leaders to the METRO staff. Houston clearly needs the University Line as an East-West transit artery. We’re extremely gratified the FTA has taken a big step in advancing this important project.”

To find out more please visit www.ridemetro.org for general information or www.gometrorail.org for construction updates.

Wow, big promises for such a short line.

I wonder if they can deliver... :rolleyes:

I actually think their statement makes sense. Without the University Line, there would be no true East-West connector and the Uptown Line would stand alone.

With the University Line, the light rail will provide coverage to most of the major employment centers within the city (downtown, tmc, uptown, ship channel, UH, TSU, Rice, UST, Museum District, midtown).