Villagio Town Center: Mixed-Use In Katy

westguy76

That's kind of the idea is to bring a bit of the Rice Village concept out to Cinco/Grand Lakes regarding being able to stay in one place to eat and play so to speak.

As for the humidor, not sure at this point. We have some ideas on the direction to take but not really sure at this point. Keep in mind this is not a done deal as there are several groups interested in opening this concept again. We are in a "wait and see what happens" mode. If it's not our group that is granted this opportunity, I am confident that whomever moves in will be very successful as long as they manage the concept correctly and respect the neighorhoods they are servicing. We like to thank of ourselves as your neighbors seeing as we do live in the neighborhoods around here. I am actually a Katy native and still live in the Katy area.

Sounds intruiging. I think that the success of Baker Street just showed how starved the Katy area is for "adult" hangouts. I like Baker Street, but I agree that it is essentially Applebee's as an English pub.

IMO, the success of Villagio is going to revolve around creating a community space because without that, this is basically a glorified strip mall. Whenever I go there, the few people who are there have come to visit a specific business and then leave immediately after.

By comparison, La Centerra has created a destination where people will go and visit multiple shops or sit in the courtyard despite restaurants that are not as good as Villagio.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds intruiging. I think that the success of Baker Street just showed how starved the Katy area is for "adult" hangouts. I like Baker Street, but I agree that it is essentially Applebee's as an English pub.

IMO, the success of Villagio is going to revolve around creating a community space because without that, this is basically a glorified strip mall. Whenever I go there, the few people who are there have come to visit a specific business and then leave immediately after.

By comparison, La Centerra has created a destination where people will go and visit multiple shops or sit in the courtyard despite restaurants that are not as good as Villagio.

I think installing a splash pad like La Centerra and the Downtown Aquarium would maybe help too. :D

related story to Villagio

Not looking good for Marcel, Inc., developer of Villagio.

They locked out some of the tenants already in the Cinco Ranch Villagio.

They never cleared land for either the Villagio in Austin or in The Woodlands.

There is a lot more to this story than a simple-minded chronicle blogger can tell you. Yes, there is litigation going on; no, it's not spelling troubles for Marcel. Three major dining establishments, and one independent have already told us they want the space. By April, we anticipate the occupancy being near 100%.

As for Villagio Austin, if you've ever dealt with city planning and development in Austin, you would understand the delays. Plans for Villagio The Woodlands were scrapped long before Cinco Ranch was even complete. Marcel has opted for San Antonio instead.

There is a lot more to this story than a simple-minded chronicle blogger can tell you. Yes, there is litigation going on; no, it's not spelling troubles for Marcel. Three major dining establishments, and one independent have already told us they want the space. By April, we anticipate the occupancy being near 100%.

As for Villagio Austin, if you've ever dealt with city planning and development in Austin, you would understand the delays. Plans for Villagio The Woodlands were scrapped long before Cinco Ranch was even complete. Marcel has opted for San Antonio instead.

I'm sure you're right.

I just checked the Marcel, Inc. website and see that instead of a "Villagio" type project for The Woodlands, Marcel, Inc. went with a strip shopping center next to the Branch Crossing YMCA at Ashlane and Woodlands Parkway. Marcel Crossing II in The Woodlands

In Austin, there's still a stoneyard that just received another load in two days ago. If the stoneyard is still operating, I don't see Villagio in Austin happening anytime soon, certainly not meeting their posted on the website groundbreaking for Spring 2008. Villagio at Austin

Bman-

Since you definitely seem to be "in the know", how many tenants have been locked out at the Villagio in Cinco Ranch? There is a rumor on the street is that Marcel, Inc. / Marcel Group / Marcel Development / TMG is going into foreclosure, not that the tenants of the Villagio in Cinco Ranch are going bankrupt. Which is it?

Here's what I have to say regarding the developers of the Villagio...as with many other developers in the greater Houston market area, they are seeing thier fair share of failures and in kind are having to make concession's they have not had to in the recent past. The retail sector is suffering the greatest blow in this down market, just look at Circuit City looking for a buyer so they don't go out of business. Regarding the blog on chron.com, those are just opinions and nothing based on factual information.

The villagio closings of the three concepts that were opened there failed due in large part to bad management/lack of operational experience by the owner/operators of those establishments. Also, the failure of those concepts is something we have all openly discussed here, if you don't have people in the seats, how do you make enough per month to own up to your obligations? The responsibility by the developer/landlord is to provide a good location with the proper exposure for the tenants. That is in place. The other obligation is to provide a safe, enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing space in which to operate, that too is done. Bottom line is this, when you don't pay your rent for several months and refuse to work with the landlord, there is only one recourse for the landlord/developer...and that's to shut their doors. No one in real estate likes to do that nor wants to do that, but when the tenant is non-responsive to communications regarding the past due obligations, what do you do? Think about it like this, if you own a rental property and your tenant does not hold up their end of the obligation do you continue to carry them and lose money on the deal or do you take the proper course of action and turn your liability back into an asset? Those concepts were all liability's to the landlord, thus the closures took place.

The villagio closings of the three concepts that were opened there failed due in large part to bad management/lack of operational experience by the owner/operators of those establishments.
Bottom line is this, when you don't pay your rent for several months and refuse to work with the landlord,

So, you're saying that Azzarelli's did not pay their rent for three months and refused to work with the Marcel Group?

What are the names of the other two concepts that failed?

The wings place (now Stadia) and Lord Byron's. By refusal, I mean they were not able to meet their financial obligations, thus refusal of payment.

The reason for my response to this email was regarding the blog postings as well as the subsequent postings that the Marcel Group are the one's in default. I am not affiliated with Marcel, but I had been in negotiations with them to re-open the Lord Byron's concept and felt that in dealing with them they were on the up and up and very amicable and responsive to our requests. They had never gave me or my partnership group any ill feelings during the procedure and again, I believe their lack of project completion is just an sympton of the current economic climate. What most people fail to realize is that the crisis in the RE community didn't start in August, it had already started to show it's ugly side in the second quarter of 2008. At least in the commercial sector. Banks were able to lend for the purchase of the land, but were not doing a lot of construction loans for development of that land. With the CMBS being locked up it trully affects commercial real estate in a very hard way. There is a smaller pool of investors/developers playing on that field thus the shut down is more immediate and the impact is felt quickly. The residential tumble facilitated that action because the lendors floated these unsecuritized baloons that finally burst.

Really off the beaten path, IMO in order to stablize the current economic situation, we have to stablize the CMBS so that business' and developers can continue spending the money to develop projects that put people to work via the various trades. Houston has not felt the tumble nearly as badly as the rest of the US because we had learned our lessons of yore and worked on a closer absorption basis. Instead of the build it they will come, they developed based on market demand. When they saw the market demand dwindling, they started to scale back somewhat, in general. The key to watching this demand is to look for grocers and how long it takes them to place their product on the ground. Kroger is just now coming out off the GP down by Mason Road. Why? Rooftops, there are finally enough to support their store, plus the fact that WM is now out there pushed them to move forward with that project.

Just my $.02

I wonder if the Stadia Grill ownership is fully engaged and experienced at running such a sports bar. I've asked several of my freinds living within 2 miles of the place if the heard about it and they had no idea it was there as they rarely if ever travel by Villagio. Some folks don't even know what center I'm talking about. I am within 2 miles so I think I would be in their target market but have seen zero adversizing of specials, events, etc to let me or my neighbors know they are there. The only way I know they are there is from perusing these boards! Another poster's comments that they were shut down on New Years day (hello NCAA bowl games!!!) leads me to question if this place will go the way of others in the center.

bc, I too question that decision. To be honest, I was surprised at the number of business' that were closed that day in both food and general retail. When you say you are a sports bar, you would think you would want to be open on heavy sports days to take advantage of the traffic those games would generate. The pitfall that some food establishments fall into are when you are leaking money you decide to close down on certain days to cut expenses when in fact that is the very reason you keep pushing through to let your customer base know that come rain or shine you are there to service their needs. Wild Wing Cafe was open right after Ike came through. Granted they were serving a very limited menu, but they were there and we were able to find a little place to escape to. Just does not make sense to me that any food operator would be closed down on those "special" days.

What do you mean? Villagio has a really nice courtyard. Overall it's one of the nicest developments I've ever seen.

Peek just doesn't get as much traffic as, say, Mason or Hwy 99 so maybe they will have to rely on word of mouth or something, I don't know. I think once those hospitals open up on I-10 places like Villagio will do a lot better.

What do you mean? Villagio has a really nice courtyard. Overall it's one of the nicest developments I've ever seen.

Peek just doesn't get as much traffic as, say, Mason or Hwy 99 so maybe they will have to rely on word of mouth or something, I don't know. I think once those hospitals open up on I-10 places like Villagio will do a lot better.

I agree that that Villagio has a nice courtyard. My point is that they don't do a good job of utilizing it.

I can see how La Centerra, being across the street from the library and a high school, can have more of a "community" feel to it. I think Villagio's courtyard will be utilized more once more food-type establishments open up on parcels that open up to the courtyard.

The Greek restaurant (Santorini) is open. It's located in the inner part of the Villagio next to the fountains in the courtyard. It's a casual place--you order at the counter and they bring it to the table. Normally I prefer full-service restaurants, but the casual feel seems to fit its family-run atmosphere. The food was excellent and was a good value. I plan to return and would definitely recommend it.

Add a few more to the list: I was over in the HEB (Fry and Grand Parkway) parking lot - there is a strip center there next to the Bank of America that contains a subway, Dunn Brothers Coffee, Candalaris, etc. Three stores have had forced lock-outs (there were signs posted in the door): 3 day blinds, a smoothie place, and some fashion accessory place. Amazing.

Why does that amaze anyone, not being an a-hole, but it is a sign of what was and what it is. What that indicates to me is those places of business were operating on very tight margins and most likely should not have been in business in the first place. Just because you have the right to own your own business does not make you a business person. Those business' that will last through this hic-up in the economy will prove themselves to be based on a solid business model that got them through this mess. Anything that is related to the housing industry are the first to take a hit, just look at Williams-Sonoma announcing job cuts today. Very strong model, but over expanded in an enviroment that was based upon very thin margins. No, this is only a sign to come even in our fair area I am affraid.

I was critical of Stadia Sport Grill when someone posted they were closed on New Years day so I must give credit when credit is due. Wife, 2 boys, and I went for dinner Friday night and had a great time. The place was pretty full and there were many TVs to catch all the sports action going on. Wife had the burger and I had wings and both were very good as we tried each others meal. The kids enjoyed their meal. It had a good family feel as many tables had kids along for dinner while there is a bar area which was filled with a crowd of mostly young folks. Its really nice to have non-smoking place to hang out and drink a beer and watch a game. Speaking of beer it was ICE COLD as well as the extra large mug it came it. We were really impressed and will be back. If you haven't been go check it out.

I was critical of Stadia Sport Grill when someone posted they were closed on New Years day so I must give credit when credit is due. Wife, 2 boys, and I went for dinner Friday night and had a great time. The place was pretty full and there were many TVs to catch all the sports action going on. Wife had the burger and I had wings and both were very good as we tried each others meal. The kids enjoyed their meal. It had a good family feel as many tables had kids along for dinner while there is a bar area which was filled with a crowd of mostly young folks. Its really nice to have non-smoking place to hang out and drink a beer and watch a game. Speaking of beer it was ICE COLD as well as the extra large mug it came it. We were really impressed and will be back. If you haven't been go check it out.

Stadia actually wasn't closed. They stayed open until 2pm, but closed because they had no business that day. I suspect next year will be a different story once everyone knows they're there. Oh and by the way - they have the best burgers I've had in years. Try 'em out.

b.

Even in this slower economy, things seem to be picking up at Villagio. Ate dinner at the Tokyo Steak and Sushi last night and they had a decent crowd for a chilly Thursday night. Walked around afterwards and Stadia was about half full, there was a good crowd at the Angel & Ox too, they say last weekend was bigger than their opening weekend - a good sign. Santorini's looked a little bare, but I think that once someone moves back into the Lord Byron's and Azzarelli's spaces, it will pull more people into the courtyard zone.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this while looking at another tread on the Katy board discussing the former Heinze restaruant site discussing Paddy's that went out. Scroll down on this link to "Stadia Bar & Grill". It appears they are now delinquent with TABC and as of today (2/9/09) wholesellers can't make liquor deliveries. This isn't a good sign. I hope this is just a paperwork mixup or temporary issue.

TABC Deliquent list

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to comment on this recent addition to our Katy community and on it's food. I have been there probably around 10 times since it opened in late December and have to say that I have been personally greeted by the owner each and every time. No....I did not know him prior but he is genuinely trying to give great service to each and every one of his customers. Besides them having a television in view of almost every chair at the place ...the food is not expensive at all running at about $5 - $8 for a plate. I love that I am always seated promptly and they're always making sure your drink is full. I also like that I can take my daughter there since the place is separated into two - the bar and the restaurant area (family).

Well anyways just wanted to comment on this place since I sincerely believe that in these bad economic times, we need to support our local restaurants and shops ... or else we won't be left with anything but McDonald's and Wal-Mart. Nothing against them but I prefer the "underdog" that treats me good over the conglomerates that will cut personnel and make me their employee by having me check out and bag my own groceries (no service). Just to clear up any doubts ... I don't work there or have any investment there .... but I hope to see you there.

I will 2nd everything falconrock said. I'm going to try to round of a few other couples to head there Friday evening for dinner to help the cause. It's the kind of place the area needs that isn't the same old chain food. The food is great and very resonable and the beer is ICE COLD. The non-smoking is great also so you can bring the whole family - it really presents a a nice, family friendly atmosphere but there are tons of TV if you are there to watch sports. My oldest kid devoured his pasta while the other got a mini cheeseburger that came out in a basket so he felt like a "big kid". All around a great place.

Archived