Villagio Town Center: Mixed-Use In Katy

westguy76

I will 2nd everything falconrock said. I'm going to try to round of a few other couples to head there Friday evening for dinner to help the cause. It's the kind of place the area needs that isn't the same old chain food. The food is great and very resonable and the beer is ICE COLD. The non-smoking is great also so you can bring the whole family - it really presents a a nice, family friendly atmosphere but there are tons of TV if you are there to watch sports. My oldest kid devoured his pasta while the other got a mini cheeseburger that came out in a basket so he felt like a "big kid". All around a great place.

Children in a sports Bar, do they have highchairs and booster seats also?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to Katy this weekend and taking my brother out drinking since he needs some time away from the wife and kid.

Now I have a dilemma--because apparently the establishments called 'Sports Bars' or 'Pubs' are in fact family restaurants.

Are there any new bars in the Katy area where children are not allowed? The only bar out there I'm familiar with is Einsteins on Mason. Not interested in wine bars, but the kind that used to be known as pubs and sportsbars, with drinks and TVs and maybe darts and Golden Tee, just without children, or any other humans under the age of 21. (Doesn't matter whether it's no-smoking or not.) Thx for the tips.

I'm going to Katy this weekend and taking my brother out drinking since he needs some time away from the wife and kid.

Now I have a dilemma--because apparently the establishments called 'Sports Bars' or 'Pubs' are in fact family restaurants.

Are there any new bars in the Katy area where children are not allowed? The only bar out there I'm familiar with is Einsteins on Mason. Not interested in wine bars, but the kind that used to be known as pubs and sportsbars, with drinks and TVs and maybe darts and Golden Tee, just without children, or any other humans under the age of 21. (Doesn't matter whether it's no-smoking or not.) Thx for the tips.

There are several along Mason.

Baker St Pub in Lacenter has a nice area by the bar with darts and a couple of Golden tees. The restuarant on the other side is non smoking and you will see come kids in there before 9, but they ask all the minors to leave at 9 (I think, it may be 8) and turn it into a true bar with smoking everywhere. I would call it kid friendly, but not a family establishment.

Children in a sports Bar, do they have highchairs and booster seats also?

It's called "Sport Stadia Grill" -- so its really a restaurant that has a bar section. It just happens that the bar section is prominently featured instead of shoved in the back.

Overall it really is one of the nicer places that I have seen in Katy.

Went to the Stadia tonight with the family and its a really nice place.

Food was good along with the service and assuming it was the owner going around greeting everyone and making sure everything was ok. Bar is very nice area as well which is kind or secluded on one corner from the resturant section. Lots of people there tonight drinking and watching football and basketball

Overall very nice atmosphere and it was nice not having to deal with the smoke.

Might not be for everyone but will surely go back as we need some places like this to stay open around Cinco Ranch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a new place opening at Villagio Center: The Mercury Room. A Martini bar that will have live Jazz Thursday through Sundays.

In regards to the topic of places going out of business. It amazes me how many folks with NO EXPERIENCE in the food service industry are opening up establishments. I find it hard to believe that banks would loan to these folks, but then again, the banks aren't always known for making sage decisions. My daughter is in the industry, and when she is interviewing for a position in a new establishment, the first question she asks of future employer/owner is what experience HE has.

I read this in the latest b4-u-eat.com newsletter

Out with the old, in with the new!

Like a phoenix from the ashes, a new incarnation of a beloved Italian restaurant in Katy is rumored to be opening where an old one just closed near the Grand Parkway. Look for a Summer 2009 opening

I am guessing that the "one just closed near the Grand Parkway" may refer to Azzarelli's in Villagio. And that the phoenix may be Rocco's or Pulcinella's. Any other ideas who the "beloved Italian restaurant" may be?

I read this in the latest b4-u-eat.com newsletter

I am guessing that the "one just closed near the Grand Parkway" may refer to Azzarelli's in Villagio. And that the phoenix may be Rocco's or Pulcinella's. Any other ideas who the "beloved Italian restaurant" may be?

Serendipitously, I had lunch at Stadia at the Villagio today and walked around afterwards. There's a sign in the window at the former Azzarelli's (a moving van was taking away kitchen equipment including the pizza oven last week) that a "3 Olives" would be opening soon in that space. If that's a beloved Italian restaurant, I've never heard of it, maybe someone else has.

Also, Sneaker Lab has moved out and asks you to visit their Galleria location (hip-hop sneakers were not a good match in Cinco), Ana's Accessories is in the process of packing up shop. In the food category however, Berryhill was busy. The Greek place was doing good business for lunch and the new Mercury Bar is in final trim and paint. The A&O have changed their lunch hours and are only doing lunch from Thursdays through the weekends; they're still busy in the evenings.

The retail/food mix seems to be drifting in the eating direction right now.

Serendipitously, I had lunch at Stadia at the Villagio today and walked around afterwards. There's a sign in the window at the former Azzarelli's (a moving van was taking away kitchen equipment including the pizza oven last week) that a "3 Olives" would be opening soon in that space. If that's a beloved Italian restaurant, I've never heard of it, maybe someone else has.

I checked on b4-u-eat.com and 3 Olives was an Italian restaurant on Westheimer in Houston.

If memory serves me 3 Olives was owned by the same people that own Bistro 829. If this is correct the location was terrible. It was in a strip mall in Westchase across from Target at Westheimer and Wilcrest. The restaurant was blocked by the Church's fried chicken and a closed Compass Bank. I love Bistro 829 and planned to go to 3 Olives and they closed due to lack of business. I did have the Osso Bucco with Risotto at Bistro 829 and I have to say I think it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. Osso Bucco is a decadent dish but this dish was so incredible my eyes rolled back in my head. :D

If memory serves me 3 Olives was owned by the same people that own Bistro 829. If this is correct the location was terrible. It was in a strip mall in Westchase across from Target at Westheimer and Wilcrest. The restaurant was blocked by the Church's fried chicken and a closed Compass Bank. I love Bistro 829 and planned to go to 3 Olives and they closed due to lack of business. I did have the Osso Bucco with Risotto at Bistro 829 and I have to say I think it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. Osso Bucco is a decadent dish but this dish was so incredible my eyes rolled back in my head. :D

3 Olives is indeed a Bistro 829 restuarant, and I'm looking forward to it. Keller Williams has started their buildout on the East endcap taking almost 10,000 SF, and we're looking to move in June hopefully. We're about to wrap up several leases that will see the office space 100% taken, so that should drive lots of day traffic to the retail / restaurant tenants. That will leave three sub 3000 sf spots open, and the rest accounted for. I'm looking forward to moving in...

• 1 month later...

Villagio had their first (of several) Party on the Plaza events this past Thursday evening. Pretty good turnout on a near perfect evening. A band set up near the parking garage and all the restaurants set up tables outside on the plaza, almost like a town square surrounded by sidewalk cafes. All they need are bigger trees, better lighting and some railings so they can serve alcohol outside (like Berryhill). The new 3 Olives is open and were serving both inside and out, full menu plus custom pasta stir-frys. Food was terrific and is more value priced than Azzarelli's was.

Also, Frederico late of the Cafesito is opening a small imported gourmet food store attached to the 3 Olives.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like another startup has closed rather quickly.

Don't know why but passed by The Angel and Ox today from a Gelato and white paper on the door with security guard standing there. Looks like the place is closed since a couple of people had walked up and then walked away.

Did they make is 6 months ?

There is always Chili's !!!!

It is unbelievable to me how fast some of these restaurants and bars go out. Some of them seem to put so much planning and work into getting the build out, grand opening, etc done and then to seem so vanish so quickly. Are they just undercapitalized? Do they not budget enough "start-up time" where you may show losses until you build up your clientele while you avertise like crazy to get the word out? I'm not trying to be over critical, just trying to understand. I would like someone with some restaurant/bar experience or even some business brokers or real estate folks that have worked with restaraunts/bars to chime in with some observations. Is something like the Angel and Ox just not going to work in such an "family centric" place right in the middle of Cinco Ranch?

Too bad they didn't make it as I didn't have a chance to try it but some of my buddies were talking about hooking up there some time for a guys night out.

Nothing shocking about this actually.

Unless your a chain you will get no support out here. It has been like that for years.

Support is for the Chains and taking it downtown or the Galleria area. A good portion of the people out here in Cinco and surrounding are takers and could care less about supporting local establishments unless they are well known and their kids can run rampant. Here for a couple of years to make a little money and cash in on schools then poof off to the next best thing for them.

They seemed pretty busy each time I went by, so I'm surprised that they closed so soon. This seems like it may have been a case of unrealistic expectations.

Really sorry to see them go. Bret and Amy were nice people trying to make a go at it. I know there were some issues with the developer and the owner of the adjacent property at one time, also the HOA for cinco ranch. I'm sure the economy being slow didn't help as well. I enjoyed going there. I wish them well in any future endeavors. :(

Frak! I have got to stop getting emotionally invested in these businesses; I get so ticked when they don't make it! :angry2:

The sign in the window is a three day notice dated the 8th so technically they've got one more day to pay back rents, maintenance fees etc. I spoke to Brett the other day about the crowds for the Thursday evening 'Party on the Plaza' events that Villagio is doing throughout the summer. He said it was pulling some business away from the outer ring of restaurants and he was down a couple of thousand dollars on those nights. I don't have any idea what the business plan for one of these restaurants looks like, but I wonder if the Villagio hasn't set their rents too high to keep people in business. Seems like if you're grossing a few thousand a night . . . anyway, like I said, I have no idea what the other expenses are like. I know it costs a lot to keep a kitchen open.

We need a "sad" emoticon!

Mr. B and Standeck... welcome to my bandwagon. Our fickle suburban consumers in Katy are pitifully disloyal and drawn like lemmings to franchise packaging. It sickens me.

We were across the street at the Mercury Bar when the (former) employees from Ox & Angel came over Sunday night (June 7) to toast the demise of their paycheck. At least one that I know of was promptly offered a job at the Merc.

My opinion is that Ox & Angel's failure was threefold: the economy, the location, and industry inexperience. Economically, Jan 09 was bad timing to start any venture whatsoever. Location? Villagio has an unhealthy attrition rate. I'm not privy to difficulties with Cinco's HOA, but it wouldn't surprise me. Here again... how is it that LaCenterra has branded themselves to the public favor, but Villagio struggles?

But I feel the precipitating factor in a businesses success is experience. Ox & Angel had a cute premise, the owners had a concept and enthusiasm. But turning a profit takes finely honed food and beverage management experience. Every decision has to be made on how it can support the bottom line; got to know when to trim staff, when you can afford bands (if you recall, when they opened their plan was for charging admission for the bands), how to pull crowds. Televising Rugby games is a niche business, although you'd think they'd be great profit for a bar.

The Mercury Bar sounds like it'll make it. They have a great drink menu, a second level sommier, and good location on the plaza. They bill themselves as a "jazz bar" but the bands are not true jazz.... they just aren't Rock or Country. They seem to be drawing a nice mix of young and old, and have a decent menu. Try it!

My opinion is that Ox & Angel's failure was threefold: the economy, the location, and industry inexperience.

I wondered about it when I didn't get an email from Amy about the weekly activities. Their website tells the tale:

http://www.theangelandtheox.com/1.html

In my opinion, it was inexperience. I tried very hard to like the place, and went there maybe a dozen times in the 5 months it was open. Bad location, not much atmosphere, so-so food, not particularly friendly. Too much spent on bands and football/rugby. Not enough attention to detail. There was a "100 pint" club, but nobody ever told me about it. They started out having a Saturday/Sunday brunch, which was actually pretty good. My wife said it was the best oatmeal she had ever had. But they cancelled Saturday brunch, and then one day we went for Sunday and were told they didn't have it because the chef had a personal emergency. They offered us the regular pub menu - I guess the chef on duty couldn't cook brunch?

Then they started closing on Mondays and opening late on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Sounds like they weren't paying the rent, but you gotta wonder about the owners of the Villagio. Businesses keep going belly up there.

La Centerra is in Cinco Ranch. Don't they have to deal with the HOA too?

Haven't been in the Mercury Bar, but what they've been open a month or two in the old location of Churchill's Cigar Bar. I'd be surprised if Mercury Bar is still there in 6 months.

My opinion is that Ox & Angel's failure was threefold: the economy, the location, and industry inexperience. Economically, Jan 09 was bad timing to start any venture whatsoever. Location? Villagio has an unhealthy attrition rate. I'm not privy to difficulties with Cinco's HOA, but it wouldn't surprise me. Here again... how is it that LaCenterra has branded themselves to the public favor, but Villagio struggles?

La Centerra's design IMO feels more open and accessible, where as Villagio feels like a fortress or castle. But design and accessability has not as much with the real reason Angel and Ox failed. There just aren't enough Irish people and/or those interested in an authentic Irish bar in Cinco Ranch and surrounding areas (like where myself and where I live) to sustain.

Its too niche for a cookie-cutter suburb. Drop it inside the loop west or south of downtown, and you'd have an instant winner. Facts o' life.

Its too niche for a cookie-cutter suburb. Drop it inside the loop west or south of downtown, and you'd have an instant winner. Facts o' life.

I don't think that you can necessarily say that. Restaurants and bars fail all the time. I liked A&O but I think that it had issues other than just location.

I don't think that you can necessarily say that. Restaurants and bars fail all the time. I liked A&O but I think that it had issues other than just location.

I agree, I don't think it would have done well even if it were located some other place. It seemed to draw nice crowds on the weekends, but not enough bar/food to pay for the live entertainment.

There is still Baker Street and it is close enough for me to walk to.

• 2 months later...

Over the past few days I've noticed activity inside the old A&O space. Some minor changes to the seating area to add a separator wall etc. Today a lighted sign of individual letters is going up on the outside of the building, "The P _ _ _ _ _". Heh, I'll go back later to see what it ends up being called, but a neighborhood watering hole where I can sip a pint and read a book would be really welcome.

Over the past few days I've noticed activity inside the old A&O space. Some minor changes to the seating area to add a separator wall etc. Today a lighted sign of individual letters is going up on the outside of the building, "The P _ _ _ _ _". Heh, I'll go back later to see what it ends up being called, but a neighborhood watering hole where I can sip a pint and read a book would be really welcome.

Huh, wouldn't let me edit; Anyway the new pub is (appropriately) "The Public House". Here's hoping it lasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, wouldn't let me edit; Anyway the new pub is (appropriately) "The Public House". Here's hoping it lasts.

It looks like it will be another Irish type pub, but maybe with a little more of a pub atmosphere. I'll give it a try, but we'll see how long it lasts. I don't care much for the Mercury Bar. Too expensive for Katy, but I haven't been there in quite a while, so maybe their prices have come down some.

Archived