US 90 Freeway Extension

"Crosby, the new Pearland." :)

At least, that's what I've been telling every land speculator I've met in the past two and a half years since I figured this out. If they know where it is, they typically don't take me seriously... -_-

...but once people can get out there along a completely uncongested route without having to pass by all the crap along the East Freeway...288 all over again.

July 9, 2006, 10:47PM

MOVE IT!

State uses U.S. 90 span for construction storage

By RAD SALLEE

Justin Yarbrough, who often drives from Beaumont to Houston on business, has noticed "a crane and a bunch of beams" on the U.S. 90 bridge over the Sam Houston Parkway.

"It looks like they're getting ready to do something," Yarbrough wrote. "My guess is they're about to extend the freeway past there."

Link to Article

I didn't read the article (too lazy) but after driving US90 once from Beaumont to the East-Belt, I quickly saw the bigger picture. The next time I was traveling east bound on I-10 at the I-610 loop, I noticed some peculiar hills on the east side of the interchange.

What I've eluded is that they are the outlines for the future US90/I-10 interchange.

I didn't read the article (too lazy) but after driving US90 once from Beaumont to the East-Belt, I quickly saw the bigger picture. The next time I was traveling east bound on I-10 at the I-610 loop, I noticed some peculiar hills on the east side of the interchange.

What I've eluded is that they are the outlines for the future US90/I-10 interchange.

That is correct. In fact, the I-10/610 interchange is already engineered to accept onramps from the US 90 freeway without having to be reconstructed or structurally altered.

There is definitely plenty of development on both sides of Lake Houston right now. It may not be bricks and mortar yet, but definitely plans are there for many single-family lots.

It's a pretty area, that's for sure. Despite the industrial flavor to the area, it's also got some of Houston's most unique environments. It's a trip to see the cypress swamps in the San Jacinto River bottoms, just a couple miles outside of Beltway 8.

i used to live in New Forest - right by 8 / 90. I wondered what was going to happen on all of that open space at 90. It's getting developed. Not sure if it's good or bad, but that KB neighborhood right there at 288 / 90 was a big field of what I thought to be something that would need remediation.

We'll see. I'm staying here in the hood... ;-)

i used to live in New Forest - right by 8 / 90. I wondered what was going to happen on all of that open space at 90. It's getting developed. Not sure if it's good or bad, but that KB neighborhood right there at 288 / 90 was a big field of what I thought to be something that would need remediation.

We'll see. I'm staying here in the hood... ;-)

yup, i still remember a couple of years back when there was a lot of trees around....that new Walmart Supercenter off of BW8 helped development...

• 1 month later...
yup, i still remember a couple of years back when there was a lot of trees around....that new Walmart Supercenter off of BW8 helped development...

The Texas Transportation Commission has awarded two contracts for the construction of freeway structures and portions of the freeway mainlanes of US 90-New Crosby Freeway between Mercury Drive and Uvalde Road. A part of the original freeway plan for Houston since the 1960s, US 90 provides direct access to northeast Harris County and the communities between Lake Houston and IH 10-East Freeway. Named the Crosby Freeway, the sixteen miles of US 90 as a grade-separated six-lane freeway between Uvalde and the Chambers County line was completed in February 1991. The award of these contracts renews freeway construction of US 90 between IH 610 and BW 8-East.

Williams Brothers Construction Company of Houston was awarded both contracts for a value of more than $113 million. The largest of the contracts, to complete 2.2 miles of six-lane freeway between Mercury Drive and Wallisville Road, has a value of $67.3 million. This contract includes the construction of an overpass at Mercury Drive and bridges spanning Hunting Bayou. The $45.8 million contract provides for the construction of more than two miles of two three-lane frontage roads Between Wallisville Road and Uvalde. This contract will also include the construction of the mainlane overpass at Normandy.

A contract for the reconstruction of the interchange at IH 10-East and IH 610-East Loop to include the US 90-New Crosby Freeway will be awarded in September of this year. The estimated cost of the project is more than $60 million.

All work on this project will be completed by the end of summer, 2010.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/news/local_news...ws/026-2006.htm

Is it just me, or is 2010 a long time to wait for the completion of something that currently doesn't have anything on it? It's probably just me...

I live in Beaumont, but tend to drive to Houston a lot. I honestly prefer driving in on 90. There's less traffic and it takes just about as long. When this gets finished, it'll peobably be even nicer.

Is it just me, or is 2010 a long time to wait for the completion of something that currently doesn't have anything on it? It's probably just me...

I live in Beaumont, but tend to drive to Houston a lot. I honestly prefer driving in on 90. There's less traffic and it takes just about as long. When this gets finished, it'll peobably be even nicer.

The big hang-up will probably be the interchange. Since it is already configured to accept onramps, I didn't think that they'd rebuilt it entirely...but I guess it was due for reconstruction anyway. I also doubt that they're going to place a lot of pressure on getting this one done on time. It has never been a big priority.

That is correct. In fact, the I-10/610 interchange is already engineered to accept onramps from the US 90 freeway without having to be reconstructed or structurally altered.

Weel except for two things:

1. Leave the ramps alone and just retrofit the bridge support pylons to support the extra weight for cars going to and fo US 90. Why the hell they couldn't do that for the 40 year old bridge on West Loop on top of 59??

2. Turn the original guardrails into the repetitve-looking concrete jersey rails. :wacko: I rather see the original guardrails instead.

Weel except for two things:

1. Leave the ramps alone and just retrofit the bridge support pylons to support the extra weight for cars going to and fo US 90. Why the hell they couldn't do that for the 40 year old bridge on West Loop on top of 59??

2. Turn the original guardrails into the repetitve-looking concrete jersey rails. :wacko: I rather see the original guardrails instead.

Sounds simple. Also, re-do the concrete on the ramps.

I'm sure when the I-10/610 interchange was built, HWY 90 was probibly suppose to expand not too soon after.

I'm sure one could look it up farely easily the exact month/year, but wasn't the 90 expansion cancelled/put on hold? If you look on Google Earth®, you can see in the treeline where they cut way for it. (Because the trees havn't grown completely yet). But obviously nothing happened.

I'm sure when the I-10/610 interchange was built, HWY 90 was probibly suppose to expand not too soon after.

I'm sure one could look it up farely easily the exact month/year, but wasn't the 90 expansion cancelled/put on hold? If you look on Google Earth

I wonder if Sheldon will become suburban...

Quite a few new MUDs being created out that way.

I just drove out there this afternoon and would actually consider living in a cookie-cutter suburban setting if I had kids and could get a home in the southeastern-most section of Summerwood, along the east side of Deussen Pkwy. The ride between there and Beltway 8 is very relaxing and Alexander Deussen Park is also very accessible.

The Crosby frwy will be the choice of many coming from Beaumont. I-10 Beaumont to the Stateline is being rebuilt to 6 lanes and it's a mess that rivals the Katy frwy. Once that project is complete, I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie will be rebuilt to 6 lanes as well as the I-10 interchange at the Cardinal frwy and I-10 interchange at the Beaumont Easttex frwy interchange. I-10 will be a mess for the next 7-8 years. Highway 90 is currently being built as a divided highway between Jefferson county line to Lberty. If only they would get rid of the traffic lights in Dayton and Liberty, I-10 would be history for me.

• 2 months later...

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32606&rfi=6

Highway 90 connection project under way

Soon, it will be easier for area commuters to reach Loop 610.

A much-needed improvement project for Highway 90 will connect the existing gap between Beltway 8 and Interstate 10 and Loop 610.

The construction project is already underway with U.S. Reps. Gene Green (D-Texas 29th) and Ted Poe (R-Texas 2nd) announcing the improvements last week at an on-site ground breaking ceremony.

"This is an important project for all of southeast Texas," said Poe. "It's an issue that affects many people in this region."

Although sitting on opposite sides of the political aisle, Green and Poe said it was important to put politics aside for the benefit of their constituents. "This was never a political issue. It's a people issue," Poe said.

The $158 million project was brought forth by both Green and Poe. The representatives agreed that it was unusual for the same request for funds come from two congressmen representing different parties.

"We may have different political ideas, but we both work for public benefit," Green said.

Gary Trietsch, district engineer for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDot), said completing the project would fill a vital gap on Houston's east side.

"Now that funding is in place, we are full steam ahead," he said.

The finished project will feature a six-lane thoroughfare, with three lanes going in each direction. The project is already about 60 days in progress and should be completed in four years.

According to Quincy Allen, area engineer for TxDoT, the project will be completed in three phases. The first phase encompasses US 90 from Uvalde to the Wallisville Bridge at Normandy, a total distance of 3.129 miles. The second phase, which totals a distance of 2.763 miles, stretches from Wallisville to Mercury. Those two phases were started in August. The third phase, which was started last month, stretches from Mercury to the Interstate 10/Loop 610 interchange. The total distance on the third phase is about 1.651 miles.

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32606&rfi=6

Highway 90 connection project under way

Soon, it will be easier for area commuters to reach Loop 610.

A much-needed improvement project for Highway 90 will connect the existing gap between Beltway 8 and Interstate 10 and Loop 610.

The construction project is already underway with U.S. Reps. Gene Green (D-Texas 29th) and Ted Poe (R-Texas 2nd) announcing the improvements last week at an on-site ground breaking ceremony.

"This is an important project for all of southeast Texas," said Poe. "It's an issue that affects many people in this region."

Although sitting on opposite sides of the political aisle, Green and Poe said it was important to put politics aside for the benefit of their constituents. "This was never a political issue. It's a people issue," Poe said.

The $158 million project was brought forth by both Green and Poe. The representatives agreed that it was unusual for the same request for funds come from two congressmen representing different parties.

"We may have different political ideas, but we both work for public benefit," Green said.

Gary Trietsch, district engineer for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDot), said completing the project would fill a vital gap on Houston's east side.

"Now that funding is in place, we are full steam ahead," he said.

The finished project will feature a six-lane thoroughfare, with three lanes going in each direction. The project is already about 60 days in progress and should be completed in four years.

According to Quincy Allen, area engineer for TxDoT, the project will be completed in three phases. The first phase encompasses US 90 from Uvalde to the Wallisville Bridge at Normandy, a total distance of 3.129 miles. The second phase, which totals a distance of 2.763 miles, stretches from Wallisville to Mercury. Those two phases were started in August. The third phase, which was started last month, stretches from Mercury to the Interstate 10/Loop 610 interchange. The total distance on the third phase is about 1.651 miles.

Ever sense Gene started to mess with XM i was pissed. I'm glad he's doing something productive.

• 1 month later...
Guest Plastic

The Crosny Freeway is already built past the Belt. It's the part at 610 that need to come about. Are they going to make an exit for Woodforest which isn't expanded? It's gonna cut through a park.

I wonder why they put thoe houses at 90 and Teh Belt. I would have put a mall, BestBuy,Barnes'& Noble and some office buildings. That's what we need if we want to see the area develop. More businesses, a mall, office space, and a freeway. Then people will come to Crosby, Easdt side, and Lake Houston.

The Crosny Freeway is already built past the Belt. It's the part at 610 that need to come about. Are they going to make an exit for Woodforest which isn't expanded? It's gonna cut through a park.

I wonder why they put thoe houses at 90 and Teh Belt. I would have put a mall, BestBuy,Barnes'& Noble and some office buildings. That's what we need if we want to see the area develop. More businesses, a mall, office space, and a freeway. Then people will come to Crosby, Easdt side, and Lake Houston.

baboo1bx.gif

You, my friend, have been banned from posting until you learn how to use the spellcheck feature provided for you. You are a very very bad man..............bad man.............bad.

Hold on, there, Haas. Before you get retail and office, you're going to need rooftops. I agree that the intersection of two freeways is probably not the best place, and am confused by the developer's choice on that, but one thing at a time.

I moved to the "East" side in 1983. Exiting I-10, well, there was a two lane country road to take me to Sterling Green. I have subsequently relocated to Woodforest and now there is the Beltway outside my street about two or so blocks. I have one light and then it is freeway until I get to downtown. This makes the area attractive for ease and convenience of working downtown. I am happy to see the Crosby Freeway become reality. Crosby is really a nice Texas-type of small town. The first time I saw Kenny Chesney was at the Crosby Fair. We were at least 8 feet from the now famous country star. Crosby will change, though, with this freeway because freeways tend to connect city to country. The area is scenic and Lake Houston is a stone's throw away. I just hope the interchange construction won't interfere with my ease of getting to downtown; but I should know differently.

Good to see the East side get a little attention on HAIF. ;)

Archived