Tang City Plaza At 1000 Highway 90

citykid09

I know what you are talking about. it is the former Tang City Asian Mall. Hakeem Olajuwon owns the thing, and has owned it for years. he was going to turn it into an Islamic school, but he has not done any work,and thus, has been cited for many violations.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ah yes, Tang City.

If you build it, they will come. NOT.

That was a classic ill-conceived project. They built a beautiful (it was beautiful when it was new) Asian style shopping mall and (if I remember correctly) a high end Asian Furniture store opened there. The plan was to fill in the mall with similar retail, and then further develop the area with residental and other light commercial.

Problem is, you ought to build the housing first, THEN the retail. Basically, there just wasn't any business for the mall, and there was no further development. (I guess the financing dried up.) The one store closed and the mall was abandoned and just got more dilapidated as time wore on.

It's a real shame because it really was a nice place when it got built. How long ago was that now? I think maybe 15 - 20 years?

• Like 1

I know what you are talking about.  it is the former Tang City Asian Mall.  Hakeem Olajuwon owns the thing, and has owned it for years.  he was going to turn it into an Islamic school, but he has not done any work,and thus, has been cited for many violations.

What? Hakeem buys a property and doesn't develop it? You've GOT to be kidding me.

Umm..no. The area is STILL empty, and besides..the place gives me the creeps(and probably others, too). If you want to make money with an asian style center, go to the west side.

• Like 1

I happened to pass by there yesterday and the building is gone. It's just the remnants of the parking lot with some light poles, and a large concrete area that looks like it was the foundation for the building. All of it is overgrown with grass/weeds. So at this point, I'd say it's just another empty lot.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Tang City Plaza At 1000 Highway 90
  • 5 months later...

This piece from Community Impact gives a general overview of the site up to 2012 or so. 

https://communityimpact.com/austin/news/2013/11/04/tang-city-plaza/

In 2019, Hakeem Olajuwon submitted a new proposal to the Missouri City Planning & Zoning Commission that would provide a mix of retail and office/warehouse space in a development called "Dream Court" that was favorably received.

About a month after this, the city council approved an ordinance allowing the development of such a proposal for that location within 5 years. After that time, Olajuwon would have to resubmit his plans for that property.

I remember passing the remnants of this place a fair amount when I was a kid since my mom preferred taking South Main into Houston from where we lived, and naturally this was along the way. It was weirdly fascinating to watch it just decay to the extent that it did before it was demolished - and even then the arched signage at the entrance hung on for some time after from what I recall.

I seem to also remember the George Memorial Library in Richmond had a Houston tourism video in it's collection that I rented in the early-mid 90s. It was circa 1986, and there actually was a bit about Tang City mentioned, with about the only footage I ever think I have seen of that place open for business. I'd have to track it down to see if it's available anywhere still.

• Like 1

I believe this site was originally a raceway called Mason's Boat Racing & Horse Track.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/news/2013/11/04/tang-city-plaza/

The property, which is at 1000 Hwy. 90, looked a lot different in the early 1930s. In 1932, a boat racing course was constructed by Missouri City townsman Roland Mason, featuring a 500-person grandstand and an artesian well—a kind of pressurized natural water system—that filled the course.

According to "Fort Bend County, Texas: A Pictorial History" by Sharon Wallingford, Mason's boat racing course was successful in the bustling oil town of Missouri City until the Freeport Hurricane of 1932 destroyed the course. In the following years, Mason built a two-story clubhouse on the property and held horse racing at the old track.

From 1930's newspapers:

"Houston Speedway water track at Missouri City".

nj9OZ6O.png

San Antonio Highway - Greyhound Races At Missouri City - 20 Minutes out South Main St.

Buses leave San Jacinto Hotel Every Evening at 7:30

CNkVWXI.png