Highway 90 Rant

Wtf is it with this hwy 90? Am I trippin or are there about 20 alt or proposed hwy 90s in the city? Does anyone know the story behind all this? Has anyone else seen what I'm talkin bout drivin through houston? You can be anywhere and come across a hwy 90.

Alt 90 (aka OST) was the main east/west road before I-10.

What's funny is the Alt 90 near UH (OST) has the same old school hotels at the Alt 90 in New Orleans.

I have driven Alt 90 coming back form Big Bend, through San Antonio, into Houston. Very cool Alternate route to I-10.

i like alt-90 too...

90 is I-10 through houston

from I-10 on the east side of town, alt-90 starts with N Wayside, which becomes Wayside/Macario Garcia (one-ways), then eventually S. Wayside (and a little of 69th). then it continues on Old Spanish Trail, and then south main becomes alt-90 when it intersects with OST.

it pretty much tries to make a diagonal line from I-10 to the southwest side, but it ends up a little squiggly :)

Edited by sevfiv

If you take Hwy 90 to the east of Houston, you'll see cypress swamps just a mile or two outside the Beltway that would make you SWEAR you're in Southern Louisiana.

I live about a mile from OST, and it's my favorite road in town. I always thought OST was Houston's name for Hwy 90, but I've seen a few "OST" names on 90 out near Big Bend. I think there's an "OST Muffler" (or something similar) in Sanderson.

I love seeing the HISTORY along 90 in Houston. Driving along Wayside through the East End, near the Ship Channel, you see homes that must be 100 years old. Other than the museum, there are few places in Houston that you see history like that.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

I live about a mile from OST, and it's my favorite road in town. I always thought OST was Houston's name for Hwy 90, but I've seen a few "OST" names on 90 out near Big Bend. I think there's an "OST Muffler" (or something similar) in Sanderson.

Old Spanish Trail was a national highway that ran from St. Augustine, FL, to San Diego. I always thought it followed an old cattle or Indian trail, but this article from the Handbook of TX set me straight on that:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/OO/ero1.html

There shoulda been a TV series about this, like the one about Route 66 :) .

In LA and MS, have parts of US 90 been temporarily renamed because of the parts of I-10 that have been wiped out?

That map is interesting. Except for San Diego, the road visits all the same cities that I-10 does.

Edited by westguy

Thanks for the info...

I'd like to drive the entire length of US 90 someday...all at once.

I've done the entire stretch from Van Horn to San Antonio (many times), and a few pieces between San Antonio and Richmond/Rosenberg, everything from Richmond/Rosenberg through Houston over to Crosby, and then everything from Lafayette, LA to Biloxi, MS.

As you can tell, I prefer the backroads to the interstates when I travel. Those stretches of road are some of the coolest drives I've ever seen: through Big Bend country, the Hill Country, the Southern Louisiana swamplands, and right on the beach in Mississippi.

• The title was changed to Highway 90 Rant